Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Akdeniz University & others in Antalya
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Englishteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Akdeniz University & others in Antalya Reply with quote

Hello.. does anyone have any information to share about Akdeniz University such as:
Working conditions,
Are they hiring,
Student profile,
Prep program/language program,

I am very interested in living and working in that region after being in Istanbul for quite a while.

Thanks in advance for any help and information... Smile
delal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Hired months ago Reply with quote

I have just secondhand info for the Intl Uni but I do know that they employed the ESL teachers months ago. There's always the chance that there will be a no-show of course
There's a rumour that they are having financial problems, which is probably why the expensive foreign-hire teachers have left and have been replaced by local hire
I did hear that they worked 3 days a week, but that, too, may have changed
Sorry this isn't very encouraging Neutral
Englishteach

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.. does not sound too promising.. Smile
Englishteach

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really no other information about working in Antalya?
delal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Working where? Reply with quote

Where do you want to work?
As far as I know, all the K-12s have their teachers for the year
Still have no new info about the uni and I have no info about language schools
Nebbich

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Akdeniz Uni Reply with quote

Working at Akdeniz, I can only warn other foreigners...all languages (German/Russian/Spanish)...NOT to work here. The admin recently called all foreign teachers in to tell them that if they weren't happy, they could find other jobs. The admin is malign and anti-yabanci. All communication is in Turkish and you never get paid what your contract says you will. No support and some teachers start classes at 0830 and finish at 1930. Oh! Foreigners do not get pay rises given to Turkish staff despite having the same contracts.
delal

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Sorry to hear that Reply with quote

Dear Nebbich
I'm really sorry to hear that you are having such an awful time, but your experiences unfortunately confirm the rumours about working there
Off to pastures new?
Englishteach

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow.. that bubble has been burst.. Thanks for the warning. It is very sad to learn about a university acting like a language center in their efforts to abuse foreigners. The admin there sounds like they must really be dealing with inferior complexes because if the foreigners were not qualified, why would they hire them? Strange situation. Thanks again for the information and "heads up" about that source of nightmares and language center pretending to be a university. Rolling Eyes
Nebbich

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Akdeniz Reply with quote

Well, not planning to stay on. I wrote to the Rector over 2 months ago and have yet to even receive an acknowledgment. Have now written to YOK...that might put the cat amongst the pigeons as we are asked to teach MEB and OYP classes (against rules?).
Had stand up fights with the co-ordinator and the HR dept tells me that I am hated. Can't imagine staying.
The pity is the good students and nice campus.
Any suggestions welcomed.
billy orr

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that the local staff were paid more than you?
How did the amount you were paid not correspond to the amount on the contract? Did you not have a fixed monthly salary?
Nebbich

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Akdeniz Reply with quote

Some sort of fiddle where the tax is front loaded and then the amount changes. This means that the pay quoted at interview is about 1000 lira less than what you actually receive. Turkish teachers get overtime and bonus payments (up to TL 10 000 for 'projects' and MEB & OYP) that are not open to foreigners.
Plus, as said, Turkish teachers had a pay rise in Nov. '14 which was NOT given to foreigners, despite having the same basic contracts...we were told to ask YOK (I have) and that if we didn't like it, we could go.
billy orr

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point to make is that in this case foreign teachers were getting less nett than the locals.
Nebbich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

A letter to YOK has started an investigation here and spread panic amongst the admin.

I will update when the results come in. It may change people's minds about coming here.
nichtta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nebbich wrote:
UPDATE:

A letter to YOK has started an investigation here and spread panic amongst the admin.

I will update when the results come in. It may change people's minds about coming here.

Well, good for you, Nebbich! I'm guessing you're the person who wrote the letter. We really need to unite and show these employers that we have value and will take matters to the proper authorities if we're not granted our rights. I see way too much of this happening here, and I think, along with the bad offers, that we are partly to blame for 1) accepting bad offers and 2) taking the mistreatment from employers after we sign good or bad contracts.

Please keep us up to date on things, as this may set a precedent for other ESL teachers here in Turkey.

Nebbich wrote:
Turkish teachers get overtime and bonus payments (up to TL 10 000 for 'projects' and MEB & OYP) that are not open to foreigners.

What I was told at one of my interviews with a state university is that local (Turkish, non-native) English teachers have a maximum of 12 hours per week whereas foreigners have something like 20-21 hours for the same monthly salary. In addition, as you wrote, the local (non-native) English teachers get overtime pay almost every week because they don't just teach 12 hours. That doesn't seem fair at all, and it seems kind of similar to what you wrote about Akdeniz. However, I'm still unsure of the details, and this is simply what I heard from one Turkish teacher.
Nebbich

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the support!

I've often thought we should set up some sort of website/union to pool info and advise newbies. I had the gift of a girlfriend who is |a Labour lawyer...so, I learnt a lot about the law here.

Yes, people DO need to stand up for themselves. However, the poor quality of many of our colleagues undermines those of us who are professional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: