Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is There Still an EFL Industry in Taiwan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Is There Still an EFL Industry in Taiwan? Reply with quote

This place is absolutely dead.

Wow. Things have really nose dived in the last decade for the Taiwan TEFL industry, eh?

What a dead zone.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Is There Still an EFL Industry in Taiwan? Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:

Wow. Things have really nose dived in the last decade for the Taiwan TEFL industry, eh?

What a dead zone.

It's been a month since this post and not a single reply?
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn!

No new posts in 3 months. That speaks volumes about the TEFL job activity going on in Taiwan now.

so what's going on with the EFL industry in Taiwan, has it collapsed?

What about Taipei?
conwaypk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this were true, why am I seeing ads for jobs?
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: It's just a forum Reply with quote

Okay, I log on about every couple of months or a so only. It's a cold December Tuesday. I'm waiting for a taxi to pick me up in a couple of hours, so I've got nothing to do....

The ESL industry here isn't dead. My friends still change jobs at the drop of a hat. I've been living happily in Puli (Central Taiwan, Jungles and mountains) for about 3 or 4 years now. Things CAN BE more difficult in Taipei, but even my buddies up there often change jobs. If you've got a year or two of experience, you know what to do, what to say, etc. You'll be fine.

No experience? I've heard some tough luck stories in Taipei but the school my girlfriend works at in Taichung is always taking in new people. The industry tends to have a turnover to it. Most people don't move out here and stay teaching at Buxibans for their whole lives (and rightly so), so there are constantly going to be openings around the beginnings of semesters (Summer and to a lesser degree Chinese New Year).

Lack of replies on this forum may say nothing about the industry in Taiwan, just about whether or not anyone logs onto this place. And I find the people that post regularly on forums are also a self-selected group (for better or for worse). Those of us who are doing well either NEVER log onto these forums (accounts for the vast majority of expats I know) or very seldom (Myself). There's one guy and only one guy I know who is a regular poster on Forumosa, but only to rant about politics from his rather personal perspective.... He's been in Taiwan 20 years, though, and still loves the place, regardless of the weird stuff he's got to say....

It's just a website.... I think the water's actually fine.
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conwaypk wrote:
If this were true, why am I seeing ads for jobs?
Possible there are more foreigners than jobs? Too much competition?
romanworld

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:

To be honest, there never has been a serious EFL industry in Taiwan and never will be. The only way you can describe English Language Schools aka Buxibans is Mickey Mouse. In fact, this definition would stretch to the universities as well because they too aren't worth their salt:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-work/tech-careers/peer-review-ring-takes-down-taiwanese-minister
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
Shimokitazawa wrote:

To be honest, there never has been a serious EFL industry in Taiwan and never will be. The only way you can describe English Language Schools aka Buxibans is Mickey Mouse. In fact, this definition would stretch to the universities as well because they too aren't worth their salt:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-work/tech-careers/peer-review-ring-takes-down-taiwanese-minister

Why don't you just go to China then?
romanworld

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chroniclesoffreedom wrote:

Because it's just as Mickey Mouse as Taiwan, that's why!
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:

Because it's just as Mickey Mouse as Taiwan, that's why!
I browsed your username and found a post where you said the Chinese mainlanders were way more friendlier and more welcoming. I couldn't live any place where I'd be unhappy.

I read that theres thousands more jobs in China. Seems like that's where the market is.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I browsed your username and found a post where you said the Chinese mainlanders were way more friendlier and more welcoming.

Yes, I'd still stand by that statement, but I wouldn't want to work in China or Taiwan either. The cities are just too densely populated and the air is heavily polluted. Also there are few green spaces and the salaries suck, unless of course you are working for a school involved in a joint venture. To be honest, there are other parts of the world where I'd rather be.
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
I browsed your username and found a post where you said the Chinese mainlanders were way more friendlier and more welcoming.

Yes, I'd still stand by that statement, but I wouldn't want to work in China or Taiwan either. The cities are just too densely populated and the air is heavily polluted. Also there are few green spaces and the salaries suck, unless of course you are working for a school involved in a joint venture. To be honest, there are other parts of the world where I'd rather be.
which places would those be?
romanworld

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . which places would those be?

SE Asia and South America.
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
. . . which places would those be?

SE Asia and South America.
Sounds nice. I read that in Indonesia you actually need to get an exit visa. Yeah. Means you can't leave the country without the proper visa. Do you know anything about that?

Also, does South America pay that well?
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that in Indonesia you actually need to get an exit visa. Yeah. Means you can't leave the country without the proper visa. Do you know anything about that?

Also, does South America pay that well?

Never worked in Indonesia so know nothing about the visa situation. Pay in South America, as in SE Asia, is generally low but if you work for a western operation and have the apposite quals and contacts you'll be able to make better money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: