Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

documents for long term ec/eu residence

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: documents for long term ec/eu residence Reply with quote

Hello All, For no other reason than the fact I enjoy self-flagellation, I’ve decided to get a long term EU residency permit and deal with bureaucracy once again. I am rather naively hoping that everything will go swimmingly, the people at Długa 5 will be nothing but delightful and the process will be a pointlessly expensive joy to behold.

Some questions: the list of requirements are as follows:
3 copies of the application – got them
Photos – got them
Passport – got it
Legal title to a residence – got it
Confirmation of a temporary registered address – got it

Now the tricky bit, what is accepted for the following three items:

Documents proving the required five-year, continuous and legal residence in Poland Documents confirming having a stable and regular source of income sufficient to cover the costs of living for yourself and dependent family members (end of year tax returns? Bank statments?)
Documents confirming having health insurance or coverage by the insurer of the cost of treatment in Poland (certificate from zus if available? Bank print outs of montly payments?)

Any help/suggestions gratefully received.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: documents for long term ec/eu residence Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
Documents confirming having a stable and regular source of income sufficient to cover the costs of living for yourself and dependent family members (end of year tax returns? Bank statments?)
Yes, and any current employment contracts. They may also wish to see a 'letter of intention' from your current employers stating the intention to keep your ass around for another X years. (Could be hard to get, in your case Wink
simon_porter00 wrote:
Documents confirming having health insurance or coverage by the insurer of the cost of treatment in Poland (certificate from zus if available? Bank print outs of montly payments?)
Should be enough. What else could they possibly ask for?

Obviously, I've never gotten permanent residency before, but the process for getting my karta pobytu was similar.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also wanted to see the original of my CELTA and university degree (needed for my work permit, which they also wanted to see)
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious because the title of this thread is eu/ec long-term residence. But I don't know of long-term residence except that which is tied to the country you request it from.

I had long-term residency status in the Czech Republic for over a decade. But it wasn't EU long-term residency, and was useless if I wanted to work in another EU member country. Good only in the CR.

I assume what you're trying to get will only be good in Poland, correct?
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting indeed. Aren't you British and married? What is the point in this? I would have thought you were situated long ago.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good questions.
Long term ec residency is what it's called on the website for foreign affairs on t'internet and it's the document which will allow the longest form (in terms of time) of registration at an address.
It's needed only because i want to vote (specifically in the UK elections - come on UKIP)

I could live my life perfectly well without being registered (although it is a requirement that everone be registered)

Yes I am British and married (means i get to tick 2 qualifying criteria on the form).
Yes, this is only for Poland
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out I don't need to be registered in Poland after all in order to vote - excellent news. That's saved me 700zł or so.

Just go along to: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote and there you go.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But in order to vote in Poland I have to be permanently resident (i.e. that will cost me 700zł)
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/elections-abroad/municipal-elections/poland/index_en.htm

700żł to vote for PIS or PO in a proportional representation system which I think is bollocks ... no thanks
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, EU permanent residency is free, where did you get the 700zl figure from? That number is for non-EU citizens...

I've just applied for it today, and if you're married to a Polish national and applying in the same office as where you got the first EU residency certificate - you need -

Passport, the "I don't owe taxes" form, the "I'm not a criminal" form, 5 photos, a personal biography, a copy of your marriage certificate, valid zameldowanie, the application form, the EU registration certificate - and that's it. They don't want proof of what you've been doing, just a declaration that you've been here for 5 years without a break.

There's a separate procedure if you're not married to a Polish citizen, but I think you are? Either way, it's free - the only cost is the "I'm not a criminal" form and the "I'm not a tax cheat" form.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm not a criminal form" is 50zl. "I'm not a tax cheat form" is less. Around 17zl I think.

They want a personal biography? What does that actually look like? Are you supposed to staple an oil portrait of yourself to it as well??
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delphian-domine wrote:
Simon, EU permanent residency is free, where did you get the 700zl figure from? That number is for non-EU citizens...

Went along to the local gmina office for registration. They can't offer long-term residency permits and directed me to the mecca of indifference which is Długa 5, Warsaw "Wydział Spraw Cudzoziemców" (This is where you have to go to for all foreigner related matters of a certain level. I believe they have awanted poster with Master Shakes' mug on it in the reception room)

On the internet website they have a number of options and long term EC residence permit is the one most likely for me http://mazowieckie.pl/en/for-foreigners-1/residence/long-term-residents-ec
Under the "What fees do I have to pay" section, it's 640zł + 50zł.

I'll be more than happy to find out that i'm wrong. If it costs nowt to get registered, I'm in.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see where you've mixed up. It's not the permanent residence permit for long term EU residents that you want, but rather the permanent residence certificate for EU citizens. This is the one you want - http://mazowieckie.pl/en/for-foreigners-1/european-union/right-of-permanent-res - an entirely different beast, and sadly, only comes with a crap piece of paper that looks like a photocopy of a passport.

I tried arguing the toss to try and get a proper plastic card, but a nice girl in the Wydział Spraw Cudzoziemców explained that while she would do it in a second if she could, the interpretation of the Ministry is that EU citizens cannot be charged for documents that Polish citizens get for free. And they're simply unwilling to pay for nice plastic cards when a cheap rotten piece of paper will do the same job.

I'm tempted to try and start a campaign for EU citizens to get issued with proper plastic ID cards, simply because some EU countries issue them with the right to travel within the EU too - which would be a blessing for people like you and me.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small update. They've started issuing proper plastic ID cards to EU citizens with the right of permanent residence - anyone that's been here for more than 5 years (with the correct residency paperwork) is entitled to get one. http://www.cpd.msw.gov.pl/dokumenty/potwierdzajacy_prawo_stalego_pobytu_obywatela_UE - this is the document in question, it contains your address, your citizenship and is effectively usable as an ID card in Poland. The only catch is that you're unlikely to be able to use it when flying or when travelling outside Schengen. Well worth getting, and I've got one! It transpires that the new cards are biometric to comply with EU norms, so as a result, EU citizens finally get something worth carrying around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: