Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

current job situation in PL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business English is an idea but it comes down to who you know to get the company teaching.

Don't think the UAE is getting better, especially at universities,
but it really depends on where you work.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Of the 20 years I've been teaching, I've spent 14 of them working for oil companies in the Middle East. That market is hard to get into but the salaries are great. Technically, I'm still employed by one. I'm just looking at Poland, the place where I've lived on and off since 95, to see how feasible it is. I'm not actually looking to make a tonne of money but I don't want to be messed around, work for inexperienced but demanding kieruwniks or provide middlemen's clients with materials that they should be providing. I'm also not into entertaining students like a kind of Rod Jane and Freddy teacher. The vast majority of teachers here have very little experience IMHO, which suits employers just fine. I think it's also fair to say that most of the native speakers I've come across have low expectations and are happy to bumble along in the same rut ad nauseam, earning peanuts and not providing that much of a service.

It's feasible for sure but I think one has to be very, very careful about who one co-operates with and for a whole host of reasons.

Unless you work for a university here, I wouldn't call it a career in the sense of those you can have with oil companies like QP, ADCO, Aramco et al, who all pay $70-100K per annum plus benefits. In Poland it's more of a hustle. Some like that and some don't.
Infinite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
40zl for 60 min. in a small town isn't that great.

I agree, 50 for 50mins is the absolute minimum you should accept. I've worked for schools in small towns, the quality of teaching is ... well below any acceptable standards plus they try to make you look bad in order to make themselves look... well better. In any case, you might want to try working for a small local school, get your name out there and then advertise. Get work at two or three small schools, an hour here an hour there, get exposure, that's the best marketing.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Listen to yourselves;' a Zloty a minute.'

That's awful in Europe in 2014.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't discount working in ordinary (private) schools as a career too, the holidays are bordering on the ridiculous and they're all paid. Tuesday is a holiday - why? Teacher's day, of course!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: teacher's day Reply with quote

Great tradition. When I worked in Bydgoszcz years ago, an entire adult class each brought vodka to the last lesson of the day for me! Very memorable and the boss condoned it, so we had a drink and then went to a local bar.
Rusty77

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that happened to me in Poznan also, a few years back! Interestingly, it was the one class I had that semester in which a handful of students incessantly complained about my teaching early on in the semester (of course, going behind my back to the director with their complaints). After I had a "frank" discussion with this group about expectations and lines of communication and what not, and we had smoothed things out, we ended up being on such good terms that they were the only group I had that did something so thoughtful Very Happy. Live and learn (for me), I suppose..
Anyone hear what ended up happening with "Brisket"? Did he take the leap and come here to Polska yet?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go out for drinks with most of my groups (generally not teens and YLs though; they never have any money!) at least once towards the end of the semester. During one summer course, I even did 1-1 end of course 'consultations' at an Israeli bar in Warsaw.

I miss Poles' relaxed attitude towards drinking and socializing, and their willingness to mix business and pleasure.

I go out with the Japanese teachers I'm training here in Japan occasionally too, but it's a much more formal affair with speeches, applause and small talk.
brisket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've very reluctantly decided against it. I just don't have the resources (or the right passport). It also sounds like both the availability of work and the bureaucratic hurdles are getting worse rather than better, so there's not a lot of encouragement there... hopefully this board has given me a reasonably accurate picture of the situation rather than deterring me from doing something that would've worked out OK!
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brisket wrote:
I've very reluctantly decided against it. I just don't have the resources (or the right passport). It also sounds like both the availability of work and the bureaucratic hurdles are getting worse rather than better, so there's not a lot of encouragement there... hopefully this board has given me a reasonably accurate picture of the situation rather than deterring me from doing something that would've worked out OK!

This is what I worry about with this board. Poland isn't perfect, but it's a fun place to do tefl for a while and I'm certainly glad I did. I'm glad nobody put me off before I went.

That said, I am European. I did work with non-Europeans who had north American, South African, Australian and New Zealand passports. It can be done.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

'Glad I did it', past tense.

Rules change here quite often and it's actually not at all straight forward even with a British passport if you don't fit very narrow parameters.

Earn the wrong currency? Sorry. Work for a company that isn't European? Sorry. That's just the legal stuff.

Then you have the total incompetence of some of the people you have to deal with, who don't know that a new karta pobytu doesn't have a photo on it and demand an old one, which you can't get.

Then you have the people who just lie, especially in banks as they want you to open an account, so they can get their bonus.

Re the contracts? I've just been offered umowa o dzialo, which I thought was a no go these days.

TEFL is Russian roulette in this country.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I personally still think it's more about timing than not finding work. Coming over in November/December means a fair chance of not finding anything - waiting til the peak hiring period of late August/September maximizes your chances. It is do-able (in the region, can't speak directly for Poland). But resources are an issue regardless; no-one should try to get set up here without a reasonable financial cushion.
Consider this (likely) scenario:
Come over at the end of August, find some short-term accommodation, go for interviews. Land a job by mid-September, starting soon thereafter. Find longer-term accommodation, file for work/residency permits with the help of your new employer.
Most schools pay monthly, at the end of the month worked, so your best-case scenario is for a little money at the first of October, and first full paycheque at the first of November.
Meanwhile, landladies will often want a full month's rent as security, and the rent up front (two rents upon entering the place).
If you have to use an agent, agent fees can be as much as yet another month's rent.
There are numerous other start-up costs (internet, etc.) and most people spend quite a lot more on daily stuff til they get oriented.
And you should always have enough money to get home if need be (I recall one TEFL-er literally panhandling desperately on a sidewalk in Prague once for flight money - her family refused or was unable to fund her).
A few thousands in cash (3-5) is pretty safe, given that one is frugal. But don't come on a shoestring - a little bad luck can go a frighteningly long way when you're far from home and support systems.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

I personally still think it's more about timing than not finding work. Coming over in November/December means a fair chance of not finding anything - waiting til the peak hiring period of late August/September maximizes your chances. It is do-able (in the region, can't speak directly for Poland). But resources are an issue regardless; no-one should try to get set up here without a reasonable financial cushion.
Consider this (likely) scenario:
Come over at the end of August, find some short-term accommodation, go for interviews. Land a job by mid-September, starting soon thereafter. Find longer-term accommodation, file for work/residency permits with the help of your new employer.
Most schools pay monthly, at the end of the month worked, so your best-case scenario is for a little money at the first of October, and first full paycheque at the first of November.

The vast majority of schools in Warsaw do not offer a full-time job with a guaranteed salary so the likelihood of getting a full paycheque in November is very slim. It is not unusual to see 'job' adverts on szukajlektor/gumtree for just 1 60 minute 7:30 class. Most teachers simply work freelance which means they only get paid for the actual hours they work. Whilst there are many new classes every week, most people only want to have classes immediately before (7:30-8.30) or immediately after (5-6) work. Also, with many 1:1 classes students will cancel at least once a month when they have business trips/holidays etc. and the teacher doesn't get paid anything.
sparks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Spiral on the "bring 3-5 k" advice, it may take a while to get any significant pay from schools as they sometimes pay near the end of the month after you've worked. As Louis says though, in Warsaw you can find a steady stream of work all year long, seriously, If I lost all of my classes tomorrow, I'm sure I could have a full schedule again by the next week. Between Nativespeaker.com.pl, gumtree, szukajlektora, etc. It's pretty easy to find classes, of course mornings and evenings are most in demand but it's also possible to find work during those midday and afternoon hours. If you are ready willing and able to teacher kids it's much easier of course as the myriad private kindergartens and primary schools are always looking for native speakers. You can rake in plenty to live comfortably and not work evenings if you are willing to deal with kiddies.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: yep Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
'Glad I did it', past tense.

Rules change here quite often and it's actually not at all straight forward even with a British passport if you don't fit very narrow parameters.

Earn the wrong currency? Sorry. Work for a company that isn't European? Sorry. That's just the legal stuff.

Then you have the total incompetence of some of the people you have to deal with, who don't know that a new karta pobytu doesn't have a photo on it and demand an old one, which you can't get.

Then you have the people who just lie, especially in banks as they want you to open an account, so they can get their bonus.

Re the contracts? I've just been offered umowa o dzialo, which I thought was a no go these days.

TEFL is Russian roulette in this country.

That's looking into it far too deeply for most tefl Poland people. Most people just want to turn up and have a good time for a year or two. Most of them will do just that and not really concern themselves with the stuff you mention.

I liked it and stayed longer, but most people don't.

Most people who go to Poland are the type of person who want to go to Poland. They'll have fun. Leave them alone. A very small minority have any intention of staying long term. They don't are about the stuff you're on about. They don't care if they won't make much money (I saved almost nothing, don't care, I save lots now) and don't care if their boss is a bit of a bad one.

People see Poland as something fun to do for a couple of years. Which it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: