Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Panama and need job

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Litger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Coming to Panama and need job Reply with quote

I will be coming to Panama City at the end of July to look for work. From what I've read here, it seems like the general consensus is that it is best to just show up and find a job, rather than try to arrange one in advance over the internet. Is this true? Does anybody have any leads that they could provide to help me find a decent position before I arrive? Anyone know of any job openings, good schools, etc.?

If possible, I'd like to have the arrangements in place before I leave so I know what I'm jumping into. I've never been to Panama before, so it would give me a little peace of mind to know that I had something lined up already. (BTW, I have a BA in English, a TEFL cert., and some volunteer ESL teaching experience.)

Thanks very much for any info/advice.
pirateinpanama

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Panama City Reply with quote

Finding a job here via computer is just about impossible. Actually, that's probably true for most countries in this region. You'll have to be here.
If worse comes to worse you can probably teach in some second rate franchise place like Berlitz or ELS. There are others.
The best jobs (such as the university programs) are difficult to get into. There's plenty of competition. Your best bet are the private schools (more like public schools in the USA). People are always quitting those jobs...except Panamanians. $800 per month and a pile of work to go along with that. Some schools are good and others are just downright awful.
Come with plenty of $$$. Rent is expensive in the main part of the city.
Good luck!
Litger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pirate. Good stuff to know. Please feel free to drop me a note anytime if you come across any openings or if you have any recommendations for good schools to apply to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: