Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa requirements 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bornlucky

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Visa requirements 2012 Reply with quote

Hi,

If I remember correctly this is my first post, I have read all the previous posts but I have been unable to find the information I am looking for. I apologise if I am re-posting something that has already been answered.

Long story short.... I have been teaching in China for the past 3 years, I have a 120hr TEFL certification, however I do not have a BA. Would I legally meet the visa requirements to get a TEFL job in Cambodia?

I have been doing a lot of research and applied for many jobs over the past month as my current contract is coming to an end. I am really looking for a new challenge somewhere in Asia, preferably with nice weather. I understand Korea, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, The Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam all require BAs to legally get the working Visa (as I applied to each of these countries haha) but I have not been able to find any information on Cambodia.

Thank you for taking time to read this, any information would be greatly appreciated.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambodia is, as far as I know, still fairly unregulated. You should be able to get a business visa on arrival by paying a bit more. That visa can be renewed in-country at a travel agent for various lengths of time up to one year, I think. The tourist visa, if I remember correctly, has some limitations in terms of extension.

I believe that there still no work permit system in place.

Hopefully someone can confirm this or you can find more conclusive info on the net. I am sure it is out there. Also, I will try to confirm with some people I know who are still there.
Bornlucky

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Sigmoid

originally I planned to go to Thailand, Hong Kong or Taiwan. I applied to several schools but was told I would be unable to obtain a visa without a BA. After that I started looking for information on the net regarding the other countries Asia and finding out slowly that they all require BAs too...

I have just recently considered Cambodia as an option, last night to be exact!! haha. Thank you for your quick reply. I will try to find more information over the coming week but you have given me some hope to get the ball rolling =D

I am actually in advanced contract negotiations with my current school.. they are keen to keep me but the their offer and my expectations aren't meeting so far.. if it all comes to ahead in a weeks time with no suitable conclusion, I have the option of booking a flight to Cambodia ;p

On that note I will have a look for some schools when I have a some free time. Are you able to recommend any schools that you have worked for in the past? I would much prefer to work for a private school than a public school as I have more experience in this area.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am actually in advanced contract negotiations with my current school.. they are keen to keep me but the their offer and my expectations aren't meeting so far.. if it all comes to ahead in a weeks time with no suitable conclusion, I have the option of booking a flight to Cambodia

Well, if you're looking for more money then it might be best to look at other options in China. The market for teachers in China is of course huge compared to Cambodia which is pretty much limited to Phnom Penh. The pay is Cambodia is pretty low and most of the work is paid by the hour. There are a number of long holidays and breaks throughout the year.

Anyway, do a search. There are several Cambodian job websites where you can get some idea of what types of work is available.

You can also use this to find schools:

http://www.yellowpages-cambodia.com/categories/0/kh68

Contact a few (note the symbols that indicate e-mail address, website and map) and see what they say...
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'business visa' is now known as an ordinary visa, though the procedure and effect are the same. Obtain on arrival upon payment of USD $25 - valid for one month. Extend in-country before expiry for 3, 6 or 12 months. No documentation required except those bearing the portraits of dead American presidents.

The better places to work will almost certainly require a degree, though it is not legally-required and you should be able to pick up work without one. I agree with sigmoid that China is probably a better place to teach, though Cambodia is an infinitely more congenial place in which to live, in my opinion.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Bump*

I'm wondering about any visa updates or changes from 2012 to 2013 ... any NEW news on updates and changes?

--GA
lemak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatApe wrote:
*Bump*

I'm wondering about any visa updates or changes from 2012 to 2013 ... any NEW news on updates and changes?

--GA

Best to check the khmer440 forum. Those guys are pretty on the ball with legal issues etc. Not much movement in here, unfortunately.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ lemak

Yeah, you're probably right. I've been "poking around" a little bit at 440 and a few other sites ... I can't see where things have drastically changed in the last year.

Thanks for the feedback, lemak!

--GA
lemak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatApe wrote:
@ lemak

Yeah, you're probably right. I've been "poking around" a little bit at 440 and a few other sites ... I can't see where things have drastically changed in the last year.

Thanks for the feedback, lemak!

--GA

I don't think there has been any change. The business visa is now called an ordinary visa or something. There's some fear that after 2015 or so the visa regs in the Kingdom will be brought into line with other SE Asian countries meaning the endless "business visa without sponsor" option may come to an end. But I'm somewhat out of the loop, so don't quote me.
princesss

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most places you will only get $10 an hour and you might have to pay all sorts of extra deductions for books and materials. don't go to cambodia expecting to make much money
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
I don't think there has been any change. The business visa is now called an ordinary visa or something. There's some fear that after 2015 or so the visa regs in the Kingdom will be brought into line with other SE Asian countries meaning the endless "business visa without sponsor" option may come to an end. But I'm somewhat out of the loop, so don't quote me.

Effective, December 2015, ALL ASEAN countries are requiring (under the ASEAN frameworks) that ALL teachers have at a minimum a Bachelor's degree.

That said, on the ground is not in the ASEAN boardroom.

Dead presidents carry a lot of weight. It ain't like home.

AlwaysBeClosing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

princesss wrote:
In most places you will only get $10 an hour and you might have to pay all sorts of extra deductions for books and materials. don't go to cambodia expecting to make much money

Like.. where? Most places offer $10 if you're not qualified - if you are, then you get anything up to $20, more if you can teach IELTS.

I saved thousands in Cambodia, even while spending a good portion of my wage on living well.
SethOsiris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlwaysBeClosing wrote:
princesss wrote:

Like.. where? Most places offer $10 if you're not qualified - if you are, then you get anything up to $20, more if you can teach IELTS.

I saved thousands in Cambodia, even while spending a good portion of my wage on living well.

I understand that was your experience, but there certainly are a lot of people around who complain about not having enough money in Phnom Penh.

In terms of $10 an hour schools, I could mention well-known ones like Beltei, ELT, Able Kids Centre and more. I've even heard of some places offering $8 or even $9 an hour. ACE pays twice that, but not everyone in Phnom Penh has a CELTA and a degree. One thing that drives down wages for many people is all the public holidays which are unpaid at most schools. If it's a holiday, you don't get any money. At Khmer New Year, that's a whole week out of your pay, which means April can be a miserable month for many.

I taught at an international school (Zaman) which was third-rate, full of teachers with broken English. Most people considered my wage very good for PP nonetheless. Most guys around town whinge about not enough hours or whatever. You might have made more from IELTS and TOEFL, but not everyone can be teaching TOEFL obviously. It's fairly niche.
AlwaysBeClosing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$10 is more than enough to live on though, anyone moaning they can't live on it is clearly awful with money. $1,000 (100 hours a month, not a strenuous amount of work) is a very good lifestyle and more than I was living on.

From the people I've known who taught in Phnom Penh, none were asked to buy books, some had to do photocopies of their own, but a dollar or two a day was the biggest expense they had in that regard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: