Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni jobs in Cambodia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagoyaguy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Uni jobs in Cambodia Reply with quote

Greetings all!

I'm looking to retire in a few years, and weighing the options in southeast Asia. I've been teaching in Japan for 20 years now, everything from elementary school to (currently) university. I've an MEd in TESOL, presentations/publications, the usual package found here.

Ideally, I'd like to work part time, a few classes a week, to supplement my savings and pension income. What are the best options available in Cambodia? I've visited the country a couple of times and loved it.

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Uni jobs in Cambodia Reply with quote

Nagoyaguy wrote:
Greetings all!

I'm looking to retire in a few years, and weighing the options in southeast Asia. I've been teaching in Japan for 20 years now, everything from elementary school to (currently) university. I've an MEd in TESOL, presentations/publications, the usual package found here.

Ideally, I'd like to work part time, a few classes a week, to supplement my savings and pension income. What are the best options available in Cambodia? I've visited the country a couple of times and loved it.

I think you be far better off in HCMC, VN.

Very easy to pick up 6-12 hours week for $18-20USD an hour.
Javelin of Radiance

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Uni jobs in Cambodia Reply with quote

Nagoyaguy wrote:
Greetings all!

Hi Nagoyaguy, I've been looking into a similar move myself for the fall, if I get any leads I'll message you. in the meantime, check out the khmer440 site, if you haven't already.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good local online forum is Cambodia Expats Online (CEO). Have a look...

Quote:

I think you be far better off in HCMC, VN.

Very easy to pick up 6-12 hours week for $18-20USD an hour.

While I agree with this, for someone who's retiring Phnom Penh might more pleasant than Sai Gon (HCMC). It's a much smaller, less crowded city, but yeah, in general, schools in Cambodia pay less than those in VN.

You can find unis listed here:

http://yp.com.kh/search?q=universities

Apparently some of the better ones are:

Royal University of Phnom Penh, University of Cambodia, Cambodian Mekong University, National University of Management, University of Phutisastra, Limkokwing University and Norton University.
btscrg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: American University of Phnom Penh Reply with quote

Whatever you do, steer clear of American University of Phnom Penh. The treat faculty like slave laborers!

Last edited by btscrg on Mon May 04, 2015 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Welsh Rabbit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering its small size and poverty, Phnom Penh has a very international feel with international restaurants and pubs, a small English-language bookshop, and a sizable expat population. Low prices, too.
Nagoyaguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, everyone!

I am going to be in town for the CamTesol conference in February, and may spend a bit of time getting to know the city.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Uni jobs in Cambodia Reply with quote

Nagoyaguy wrote:
Greetings all!

Hey, bud, you were at Meidai in the early 2000s, right? I think I remember your posts. You went back to Canada, from what I remember.

Sorry, can't offer much info on Cambodia, but just recall your posts about 10 years ago on the Japan forum.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University jobs in Cambodia are focused in the capital Phnom Penh...there are very few jobs available and they are usually reserved for Khmers...and the pay is less than Thailand for English teachers. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: