Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New visa restrictions for Americans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infinite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:

I showed up, no job, no nothing. Got an apartment, got a job, PESEL, NIP, business bank account, work "promise" from my employer, bank statements showing i had cash to fall back on, a few other random things, and in about 7 months, I had my residency card, done deal. no work permit, no work visa, just me and my luggage.

Ha! How 'bout that. I never thought that the day will come. I have to agree with you 100%. This is still the case. I'm reading this thread not really sure what the problem is.
sparks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I've tried to say the same thing before but people always start going on about work visas and whatnot. Dynow's description reflects my experience exactly, also not sure what the work visa stuff is about.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
I believe I've tried to say the same thing before but people always start going on about work visas and whatnot. Dynow's description reflects my experience exactly, also not sure what the work visa stuff is about.
You're one of the few luck ones, then. And it's not a work visa, but a work permit. I know loads of people who have had to get one in Warsaw. This is Krakow's immigration site explaining how to get one: http://www.malopolska.uw.gov.pl/default.aspx?page=Work_permit_for_foreigner_work_in_Poland

As for getting your id/passport checked in Poland: During my four years living in Warsaw, I always carried only my Colorado driver's license. I've been stopped by police and ticket controllers a few times, mostly for crossing a red light. They would demand my ID and I just gave them my driver's license. After frowning down befuddled at it for a few seconds, they gave it back and said 'thank you'. End of conversation.

I think if I'd had my karta pobytu on me, they might have given me a ticket. But it was never worth their while to make an issue of my not having the proper ID. I can't imagine them doing it unless you've really f-ed up, or unless you're a minority.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grzes, it certainly does happen. While most resources are concentrated on the eastern/northern border, there are plenty of stories about people being stopped in the interior and deported as a result. It all depends on who stops you and why. With respects to the "permission to work" - as I understand it, even if you get a residence permit issued, it doesn't mean you're in the clear. You still need the document confirming that you can work from the Urzad Pracy - I don't think a residence permit is a defence in itself.
Louisdf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
sparks wrote:
You're one of the few luck ones, then. And it's not a work visa, but a work permit. I know loads of people who have had to get one in Warsaw. This is Krakow's immigration site explaining how to get one: http://www.malopolska.uw.gov.pl/default.aspx?page=Work_permit_for_foreigner_work_in_Poland

As for getting your id/passport checked in Poland: During my four years living in Warsaw, I always carried only my Colorado driver's license. I've been stopped by police and ticket controllers a few times, mostly for crossing a red light. They would demand my ID and I just gave them my driver's license. After frowning down befuddled at it for a few seconds, they gave it back and said 'thank you'. End of conversation.

I think if I'd had my karta pobytu on me, they might have given me a ticket. But it was never worth their while to make an issue of my not having the proper ID. I can't imagine them doing it unless you've really f-ed up, or unless you're a minority.

How about when you need to visit the police, for example if you were beaten up on the street or your flat was looted while you were out etc. Then, you will definitely need to show your paperwork!
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louisdf wrote:
How about when you need to visit the police, for example if you were beaten up on the street or your flat was looted while you were out etc. Then, you will definitely need to show your paperwork!
Yes, quite probably. Honestly, I wouldn't expect the police to do too much though, especially if you don't speak Polish.

Anyway, I thought that as far as Poland was concerned, leaving and reentering the country reset your 90-day visa waiver. That is, Poland doesn't apply the '90-in, 90-out' rule.

I know a few people who have lived in Poland for years doing visa runs and seemingly had no problems.
oipivo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like mastershake said. My wife and I have been doing this for two years. Admittedly, it's not fun. The border patrol has never once asked questions about my stamps. They do count the days occasionally to make sure I haven't overstayed the 90 day rule, but so long as you're within 90 days it shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't really recommend this route though. You have to really want to live here.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I've had 2 run-ins with the police in the past 2 weeks for parking and got stopped randomly twice last year by traffic cops for no reason at all. Best not to drive I'd say.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To justify the 'best not drive comment' i would've preferred to see:
I got pulled by the police twice last week for absolutely no reason. I was parked in a designated parking spot, followed all rules, and there was absolutely no justification for them stopping me.

And

I understand why cops have to do random road side spot checks after all drink driving is a problem in Poland and the state of cars is a disgrace. And let's face it, the police are a bit bent as well, so i'm really unfortunate to have been stopped twice.

In Warsaw, the cops would either have good reason to talk to you about parking or be extremely, extremely, extremely bored.

I've been driving in Poland since 2004 and never had a problem or an unjustified talking to or points. Poz police must either be all jobsworths or ..... Did you have to pay any fines or get any points btw?
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Last year got stopped at 04.30hr on the way to catch a flight for no reason. They just jumped out from behind a tree and pulled me over. No fine and no points. The previous week the police had pulled me over in Konin on the way to the cemetery. Again, no reason, no fine and no points. Yesterday, no fine and no points, just an incredibly dumb Biedrinka lorry driver who called the police when he was trying to get his lorry in the wrong car park entrance and got stuck. I was parked where I've parked for the past 2 years without a problem. A week ago, parked in the street for 5 mins on a spot where you can park after 6pm. Due to the fact it was before 6pm I got a point and 100zl fine. So, 4 run-ins with the police, which required ID and dokumenty in a year. The VW estate I drive is in really good nick.

Moral of the story? If you drive, you may well get stopped and your papers may well be looked at.

Let's also not forget that in some towns you will be the foreign neighbour and woe betide you have a party as the Poles love to grass people up for noise or having fun. In the 20 odd years I've lived here on and off, I've had 2 knocks at the door. I've also been stopped on the street twice, once for jaywalking and once for no reason at all but that was in Bydgoszcz in the mid-90s and they emptied my wallet when I had no passport ID on me.

Then there are plenty of native speakers who've ended up in the drunk tank. Not me I might add.

Not being facetious. Just facts.
Sgt Bilko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stopped for the first time a few weeks ago. The police claimed that I hadn't been wearing a seat belt although, when I told them I had, they accepted it without argument. (I was, always do) They then checked my licence and car documents and gave me a breath test (negative) and let me carry on.

I thought they needed the excuse of the seat belt to stop me but, from what you say, they don't need any excuse.

Anyway, once in twelve years of car ownership here seems reasonable.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My run-ins... Stopped near Kudowa-Zdroj 3 years ago for speeding on a Sunday morning. 71km/h in a 50km/h zone - 4 points, 100zl fine. Caught blocking the pavement (completely...) outside my old office - 100zl fine and 1 point. Stopped for having a broken rear light, but I chattered away to them in Polish and explained that it was working that morning, so they merely breathalysed me and told me to get it fixed in the morning. All justifiable and can't complain in the slightest.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera caught me doing 106 in a 70 zone (that's what happens when you chat to the wife whilst driving) and i sent off my application to have 6 points and a 300zl fine rather then shell out 500 and no points. Sent by registered post. Yesterday i got a summons asking me to go to tarczyn and explain myself. I'm assuming the letters missed each other in the post.

It's a good job i work with a lot of angry lawyers. I believe the issue will be sorted today Smile
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love Poland.
Before we got the heavies involved, the wife phoned up straz miescie to find out what was going on (SM issued the speeding ticket). They can't issue a foreigner with points Smile so they wanted to invite me down to check me out and possibly squeeze something out of me.

We agreed to pay 200 zl and no points instead of driving 150km and pay by bank transfer. They'll issue a 'ticket' when they get the cash.

Result.
I'm pretty sure if the lawyers got involved i would have paid nowt.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: 1998 Poznan Reply with quote

Yeah, we had a boys' night out back in 98. One of the gang didn't drink, so was the self-appointed 'driver'. In those, days the cops used to hang around near the rynek and pull foreigners, who were getting into cars. Our pal, a director of a big bank failed the breath test even though he hadn't drunk anything. They were just about to haul him off, when a well-known Irish bar owner got a wad out and paid them 500Zl, not to take a sober person to the drunk tank. If only I-phones had been around then. The lawyers would have had a field day with that too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: