Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mid-life career change to ESL teacher in Mexico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jultime

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Jultime wrote:
. . . and best of all I've made a few contacts with people who want to learn English when I get back from taking the CELTA in Mexico City.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your adventures, Jultime! Are you planning to mostly do private tutoring in Oaxaca when you finish the CELTA? Or will that just supplement a job at a local language school?

I'm hoping to get a job with a local language school in Oaxaca and supplement with private tutoring.

Oh my, I'm now in Mexico City....CELTA starts Monday....oh my....
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Oh my, I'm now in Mexico City....CELTA starts Monday....oh my....

It should be fun. Hard, but fun.
Jultime

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second week of CELTA.....oh my

Teaching plans and assignments.....

But I am enjoying it and I do like the teaching.

And I'm keeping on top of my spanish since the people I'm staying with don't speak english.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Second week of CELTA.....oh my

Teaching plans and assignments.....

But I am enjoying it and I do like the teaching.

And I'm keeping on top of my spanish since the people I'm staying with don't speak english.

Sounds like you're almost at the half way point . . .
mtiz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Hope you're enjoying it. Oaxaca is my favorite city in Mexico, we'll be there in two weeks for vacation. I'm also taking some time to travel before my course in January.
Jultime

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Week 3 of CELTA, teaching Mon, Tues and Thurs plus assignment due Wed.

Spent the weekend writing both teaching plans.

Motivation: Where I'm from its been 40 below with 2 feet of snow.

Think I'll stick with the CELTA in Mexico City.

I've seen nothing of Mexico City besides the neighborhood where I'm staying, the walk to the school and the street the school is on. Saw a few blocks of Reforma today.

I can always come back for another visit.

Ok, back to CELTA work.....on second thought I think I"ll treat myself to some Downton Abbey.
Jultime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA qualified!! Yes!!!!
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!!!
Higo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work! Can you tell us all about it? What were the best/worst parts? Do you feel prepared? Is it enough time to retain it all? Huge accomplishement!
Jultime

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higo wrote:
Good work! Can you tell us all about it? What were the best/worst parts? Do you feel prepared? Is it enough time to retain it all? Huge accomplishement!

Doing the CELTA requires 4 weeks of total commitment to doing the course. The people who had trouble were those that had any kind of personal life outside of the course. I committed myself to doing well on the course and therefor had no time for sightseeing around Mexico City.

I had heard plenty of warnings about the course prior to doing it. Sure it was stressful due to the workload but for me it wasn't all that bad. I'd completed nursing school and wrote the board nursing exams in Florida then in Canada. So for me doing those exams was far more stressful than doing CELTA.

I did find teaching grammar to be the most difficult for me. I have next to zero knowledge of grammar so doing a lesson on grammar required a lot of work for me. I plan to study grammar in the next few weeks and will continue to study it so that I'm better able to teach it.

I do feel prepared to enter teaching ESL in the classroom with mentoring. I'm also pretty confident that I will be fine doing private tutoring. Of course I don't expect that I'll retain everything I learned on the course but I do have my resources to refer to.

Overall, my recommendation is do the CELTA. Just prepared to put in the work required. Nobody in our class failed.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to suggest a grammar reference book for you, if you haven't already heard about it. English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy is so easy to use both for self study and as a quick reference. Each grammar topic is presented on one page, with clear examples, to make it easy for your students (and you) to understand. I am on my second copy, the first one literally fell apart from use.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I would like to suggest a grammar reference book for you, if you haven't already heard about it. English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy is so easy to use both for self study and as a quick reference. Each grammar topic is presented on one page, with clear examples, to make it easy for your students (and you) to understand. I am on my second copy, the first one literally fell apart from use.

Now I have to pipe in and recommend Michael Lewis's classic book, The English Verb
It's not a grammer reference nor an exercise book. It won't help you with your class tomorrow, but it will change the way you think about English and that will trickle into your teaching.
Jultime

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah dear sweet Oaxaca its so nice to be living here. The days are sunny and warm, the trees are green and there's flowers everywhere.

I'm not looking for a job yet, there's no point since its the holidays.

I'm enjoying getting to know this precious city.
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend Practical English Usage by Michael Swan. SBN-13: 000-0194420981 ISBN-10: 0194420981.

It’s not a handbook of grammar per se, but it’s an invaluable support for answering language learners’ questions of the form ‘Why do you say it that way in English and not this way?’ and ‘Why can you say A but not B?’ when the only answer we can come up with as a native speaker is ‘Because we do.’ and ‘A sounds right but B sounds wrong.’

Swan explains all the ins and outs of English customary usage, and the book is very complete. I can’t recall any question of this type for which I haven’t found an answer in this book.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jultime wrote:
Ah dear sweet Oaxaca its so nice to be living here. The days are sunny and warm, the trees are green and there's flowers everywhere.

I'm not looking for a job yet, there's no point since its the holidays.

I'm enjoying getting to know this precious city.

There's free ice skating behind the baseball stadium, along with a little fair, it was a fun way to spend an afternoon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: