Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools in and around Wuxi, China

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommyp32

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Schools in and around Wuxi, China Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for schools hiring in or near Wuxi, China. I was simply wondering if anybody here had experience in the region and if they could give recommendation. I am an American, I hold a B.A. in theatre and I have a TEFL.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.
rioux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how good or bad they are but here goes:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=34432
tommyp32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Listerine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"....are certified teachers in their home country...." might be a deal breaker, but depends how desperate they are.

Wuxi isn't really known as a university city. Might be better to try Nanjing or Suzhou if you were interested in that path.

There's one big uni, Jiangnan University and a couple of smaller colleges....Wuxi Institute of Technology, Wuxi Institute of Commerce etc.

Jiangnan has a pretty good reputation, but they have a bunch of different programs of varying FT satisfaction. Google "Lambton Jiangnan" and there are all kinds of gripes about gaokao-failing, lazy spoilt brats. They have since changed their name to "North American College" or something. Some of the other programs for example working directly for JU itself might be worth a look.

Wuxi Institute of Technology seems to have more or less shut down its foreign program. Financial troubles? You can also find grumbling and gripes online about low-quality students and cheapskate, dodgy administration there.

Wuxi Institute of Commerce is similar, but located waaay out of the city, so shopping, nightlife etc. becomes difficult. I'd heard rumors the foreign teacher (yeah just one.) is housed in a converted classroom, so would be freezing cold, noisy, dirty etc.

There are some others like Wuxi Ocean College, but they just hire part time as far as I know.

Likely too late for a Feb/March hire now, you'd probably be looking at a Sept. start if you were interested.

Failing the university / college option that you're stuck with the private schools...the same old rogue's gallery of Wall Street, Shane, EF etc.

....or public schools, but I don't know anything about those.

In general it's quite a wealthy city. Clean, middle~upper class, civilized. One of the highest average incomes in the country. Not a bad halfway house introduction into the maelstrom that *can be* China.
water rat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Dave Spurious through his chief mod Mister Kimchi-sushi to make this link a sticky, but you know, no one in the wheelhouse at Dave's ESL Cafe. So, this link cannot be re-posted enough. I was not the first to post it, and I hope I am not the last:

http://webadmin.safea.gov.cn/pic/wjs/1397097838.mingce20140331.pdf

It's a list of legitimate ESL employers in China - the organizations can legally obtain Z visas for their foreign born teachers.

It is in Chinese, but as I pointed out when I last published it, about a billion and a half people can read Chinese. If you are not one of them, simply find some one who is. I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you.

As the OP is in America, maybe s/he could ask the Chinese Embassy there to translate this into Roman letters and publish it far and wide.

I hope it helps. Smile

(Glad to say, my outfit is on it)
tommyp32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listerine wrote:
"....are certified teachers in their home country...." might be a deal breaker, but depends how desperate they are.

Wuxi isn't really known as a university city. Might be better to try Nanjing or Suzhou if you were interested in that path.

There's one big uni, Jiangnan University and a couple of smaller colleges....Wuxi Institute of Technology, Wuxi Institute of Commerce etc.

Jiangnan has a pretty good reputation, but they have a bunch of different programs of varying FT satisfaction. Google "Lambton Jiangnan" and there are all kinds of gripes about gaokao-failing, lazy spoilt brats. They have since changed their name to "North American College" or something. Some of the other programs for example working directly for JU itself might be worth a look.

Wuxi Institute of Technology seems to have more or less shut down its foreign program. Financial troubles? You can also find grumbling and gripes online about low-quality students and cheapskate, dodgy administration there.

Wuxi Institute of Commerce is similar, but located waaay out of the city, so shopping, nightlife etc. becomes difficult. I'd heard rumors the foreign teacher (yeah just one.) is housed in a converted classroom, so would be freezing cold, noisy, dirty etc.

There are some others like Wuxi Ocean College, but they just hire part time as far as I know.

Likely too late for a Feb/March hire now, you'd probably be looking at a Sept. start if you were interested.

Failing the university / college option that you're stuck with the private schools...the same old rogue's gallery of Wall Street, Shane, EF etc.

....or public schools, but I don't know anything about those.

In general it's quite a wealthy city. Clean, middle~upper class, civilized. One of the highest average incomes in the country. Not a bad halfway house introduction into the maelstrom that *can be* China.

Thanks, this is good information. My main reason for wanting to work in Wuxi is that I have a friend who will be working there also and I would prefer for us to be close together as I think it would increase my chances of success. However I am willing to work in another city that is near by.

I also see you mentioned EF as part of a "Rogues Gallery" they are asking me to interview w/ them in January. Should I be weary of these guys?
toteach

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ Depends on what your career goals are if you should give language schools wide berth or not. I know a few people working quite happily in them, but the high turn-over would give me pause before signing a contract.
shaka

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In recent adverts I've seen Wuxi described as a 'garden city'.

If you like greenery on the water (quite literally), then Without Tin is the place for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wuxi+algae&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=JI2&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Hq-QVIrnMsumgwScuoCABQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=758
tommyp32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toteach wrote:
^^ Depends on what your career goals are if you should give language schools wide berth or not. I know a few people working quite happily in them, but the high turn-over would give me pause before signing a contract.

To be honest, I'm not quite certain what my career goals off. I figured I'd teach abroad for a year and evaluate where I am, if I liked it or not and if I may be able to find better options elsewhere and then act accordingly.
Listerine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommyp32 wrote:
toteach wrote:

To be honest, I'm not quite certain what my career goals off. I figured I'd teach abroad for a year and evaluate where I am, if I liked it or not and if I may be able to find better options elsewhere and then act accordingly.

Not sure about your history, but Jiangsu is one of those provinces which is quite strict about the 2 year teaching experience - regardless of TEFL certificate. It's not an immigration or PSB thing, rather a Foreign Expert Bureau issue. It's only been the last 6 months or so that they really started to tighten up the rules. On the plus (or minus) side resumes are very rarely verified, so take that how you want.....
toteach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listerine wrote:
tommyp32 wrote:
toteach wrote:

Not sure about your history, but Jiangsu is one of those provinces which is quite strict about the 2 year teaching experience - regardless of TEFL certificate. It's not an immigration or PSB thing, rather a Foreign Expert Bureau issue. It's only been the last 6 months or so that they really started to tighten up the rules. On the plus (or minus) side resumes are very rarely verified, so take that how you want.....

Jiangsu also requires police clearance from your current residence, unlike many of the provinces. They're making it hard to get in for some reason...
toteach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listerine wrote:
tommyp32 wrote:
toteach wrote:

Jiangsu also requires police clearance from your current residence, unlike many of the provinces. They're making it hard to get in for some reason...
toteach

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listerine wrote:
tommyp32 wrote:
toteach wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: