Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your thoughts on Florence, Italy :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N_Thompson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Your thoughts on Florence, Italy :) Reply with quote

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and although I've been going through a lot of posts I still have some questions that I was hoping some of you might be able to answer. They are probably questions that you've heard a thousand times before, sorry about that!

I am considering taking a CELTA course in Liverpool and to teach English in Italy, more specifically Florence. But I really wonder what my chances are there. I've read several blogs of people saying teaching English for them was a success... but it all sounds too good to be true. You do a course for only 4 weeks and simply find a teaching position? Are there really that many jobs available? I know there are some bad schools out there and the pay isn't great but it still sounds too easy. And the CELTA is quite expensive... I've looked online for jobs and I did see several openings, but not in Florence. But I won't leave until late spring/early summer so I would have to wait for job openings until august/september anyway.

I already speak Italian (although not as fluent as I would like) and I've lived in Florence for almost a year (studying/internship) so I have a ( small) network there... which I hope increases my chances. But again, obviously the CELTA and TEFL brochures only tell the positive stuff. I would like a more realistic perspective. If I don't find a job within a month, ok, I could live with that. But I don't want to spend money for, let's say, six months in Florence and then find out the English job market is hopeless.

So tell me, how is the current job market for English teachers in reality? I would be very grateful for your opinions/advice!

Kind regards (and almost Merry Christmas!)
Nikki Thompson
philyb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, where are you training in Liverpool? I trained there too at the school of English. Anyway, I just spent a great year in Italy but it was in a smaller city. Bigger cities like Florence at tougher, you'll no doubt have a contract with a school likely of about 20 hours and a base of around 1200 euros in a place like Florence, maybe a 1000 if you're a fresh teacher. It's a popular town, lots of foreign students who saturate the market as well and offer not so good lessons. I'm not sure on what you'd be charging freelance, but after a few months there hopefully you will make more contacts and get a good word of mouth. It took me a few months, but again a smaller city where not many English lived.

Any questions etc, glad to help.
Nikketik

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi philyb, thanks a lot for the reply! PM'd you Wink

Had to make a different account because the N_Thompson one somehow became inactive...
I've been offered some work at one school, starting in September and I've found some private students... though not sure what I'll charge them yet. But so far so good! Smile
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, keep at it... Nice to hear a success story on this site. Keep us updated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: