Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Robbed in Mexico City
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobo6 wrote:
Well, the OP hasn't even returned, so who knows if these posts are a waste of time. But I agree with the post a few above about how you look when you go outside. That was going to be my first question - just exactly what do you look like when you go out on the street? I lived here for 2 years between 2008-2010, 5 months in 2012 and now I'm back again and going on month 7. Nothing bad has happened to me in MC. During my first 2 times here, I took the metro daily going to my students. This time around, due to bad knees, I try to stay out of the metro stations, but I still take them almost every day. I take the metrobus, and a couple of times a week, the micros.

Like Beagle, my students have told me first and second hand stories of being robbed by individuals or the police. If they're first hand stories, I believe them. I know that perhaps I've been lucky and I don't doubt that at some point, my time will come up and I'll be robbed. Honestly, I don't know how I'll react when it happens, because I'm a tough chick, but I've never had a gun or knife put to my face.

As for me, I'm in my early 40's, and walk the way my personality is - with confidence and a don't F with me attitude. I almost never take taxis (in any country due to the crazy drivers), and my only serious precaution here in DF is not to take micros at night due to the increased probability of being robbed (I've had enough students tell me stories about this). But I'm a tourist on Sundays and sometimes during the week and I look like a foreigner due to my clothes - sports sandals, Chinese foldable hat, small "purse" made by the indigenous, sunglasses and if it's warm out (not much this year), shorts. So if anything, I have a big X written all over me for them to come and get me.

Predators (if they aren't high) always know what type of people to go after just by looking at them from a distance. I have a difficult time that you've been robbed twice in such a short amount of time, so I would like to know how you're dressed and how you walk when you're out and about. It just doesn't make sense. Perhaps the perpetrators know you or know a person who knows you.

Folks with blond hair need to dye it brown or black! Cool
mtiz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies everyone! This is definitely not a waste of time. I would like to think I generally follow these security guidelines. I never take taxis, I try to stick to the metro, but to get to my work means taking a microbus and a combi multiple times a day (English teacher life, split schedule). I usually don't carry more than 50 pesos cash, my cellphone is a 200 peso phone, cheap as you can get. (although replacing it is expensive for me, 200 pesos is no joke). I just find it a little discouraging to hear people say, "Oh, well it's never happened to me, DF is safe! Sorry you had bad luck!" I agree with Prof Gringo that it is extremely dangerous, all my students likewise have terrible stories of being robbed, car jacked, even kidnapped and it's terrifying. I love Mexico and I try as hard as possible to portray it is a great place to live for my friends and family who worry about me here, but it's hard when I tell them I've been robbed twice already.
mtiz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a little offensive to hear that something I did was "my fault" that I was robbed! The first time was almost a kidnapping, had I not escaped. The second was while I was on a microbus, and the whole bus was robbed, so that couldn't have been my fault. I don't live in Condesa, Roma, etc, I'm not a rich gringo, unfortunately. I live in Aculco which is fairly safe but surrounded by bad areas. I'm not even close to an area where the metrobus would be an option for me. I think anyone who thinks DF is perfectly safe is a little delusional!
mtiz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I have even considered dying my redish blonde hair black just to stop the attention. Is that crazy or a good idea?
hobo6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, don't really know what to say then if you're not looking like you're rich. I also teach ESL here, but privately, and am travelling several times a day. This will sound perhaps mean, tho it certainly is not meant to be, but maybe this city isn't meant for you? We all have our places that work out and that don't. By no means does this city work out best for me, but I haven't had the crime experiences you have (I have had other bad experiences, just not in the crime sector). The fact of the matter is that DF is a chaotic, drama-filled city. As one of my students (from Spain) told me back in 2010, there's a disease which hovers over this city. And there is. I guess it's a matter of if you can survive it or not. I have, but with breaks in between.

Dye your hair - see what happens. You can always grow the color out and return to Normal Person. And while it's great that you aren't living in a tourist/rich area, I could never do this gig without living within walking distance of a metro station!!!
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
It's a little offensive to hear that something I did was "my fault" that I was robbed! The first time was almost a kidnapping, had I not escaped. The second was while I was on a microbus, and the whole bus was robbed, so that couldn't have been my fault. I don't live in Condesa, Roma, etc, I'm not a rich gringo, unfortunately. I live in Aculco which is fairly safe but surrounded by bad areas. I'm not even close to an area where the metrobus would be an option for me. I think anyone who thinks DF is perfectly safe is a little delusional!

Where is Aculco? If it's surrounded by bad areas, maybe you should consider moving to a less dangerous part of the city.

Hmm, just googled Aculco and learned that it's not in Mexico City but in Mexico State.
mtiz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely in Mexico City! Right near metro Aculco (green line), near Coyoacan, etc. I feel like every "safe" place here is surrounded by bad areas. Look at the Centro Historico! Maybe you're looking at a different Aculco...it's on the border of Iztapalapa and Iztacalco where I live Very Happy . I live less than 5 minutes walking from a metro station, but for my job I need to take buses/combis as the metro doesn't go where I need it to.

This was really only a commentary of my experiences here. Don't think people should blame me or others for crime they have experienced...victim blaming isn't cool.

Mexico City definitely isn't for me, that is correct. However, I'm stuck here for a little bit as we finish up some things we're doing here...

(edit: googling it , it is Colonia Pueblo Aculco, named after the neighborhood that is in Mexico state, however, they are different.)
hobo6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, interesting. A couple of weeks ago I climbed the hill at Iztapalapa and saw numerous large white covers. Asked someone what it was and they told me the Centro de Abastos - which is where you live! Went home, looked it up and read the history of the area. It did say that after relocating it from the city center some 20 years ago, I think, the area started growing. And then with the growth came crime and now it's no better than where the Abastos used to be.

And what does your Mexican husband think? You mentioned that you're here because of him. I still have to wonder if both times weren't done by someone who knows you.

By the way, if don't mind telling me, how long's the walk from the metro station to the Abastos? I was thinking of visiting it.
donato

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend living in a safer area. Just looking at the metro map where that is- I'd never consider living over there. Generally speaking, try not to live east of the blue metro line or north of the historical center. There are many exceptions, but you may save yourself some trouble. My $.02
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
Also, I have even considered dying my redish blonde hair black just to stop the attention. Is that crazy or a good idea?

It's a good idea, or wear a wig, seriously.

Mexico is one of the most dangerous, violent countries on the planet right now...
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donato wrote:
I'd recommend living in a safer area. Just looking at the metro map where that is- I'd never consider living over there. Generally speaking, try not to live east of the blue metro line or north of the historical center. There are many exceptions, but you may save yourself some trouble. My $.02

Move to Mexico State, out by Plaza Satellite, I lived in both Tlanepantla and Atizapan de Zaragoza, and there are some very safe areas.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
Thanks for all the replies everyone! This is definitely not a waste of time. I would like to think I generally follow these security guidelines. I never take taxis, I try to stick to the metro, but to get to my work means taking a microbus and a combi multiple times a day (English teacher life, split schedule). I usually don't carry more than 50 pesos cash, my cellphone is a 200 peso phone, cheap as you can get. (although replacing it is expensive for me, 200 pesos is no joke). I just find it a little discouraging to hear people say, "Oh, well it's never happened to me, DF is safe! Sorry you had bad luck!" I agree with Prof Gringo that it is extremely dangerous, all my students likewise have terrible stories of being robbed, car jacked, even kidnapped and it's terrifying. I love Mexico and I try as hard as possible to portray it is a great place to live for my friends and family who worry about me here, but it's hard when I tell them I've been robbed twice already.

There are posters on here with vested interests or agendas, which they push at any/all costs, which means always saying how "safe" Mexico is, how it somehow must be the victims "fault" etc.

I hate to say it, but it's true, that in Mexico, if people were able to have/carry/use firearms to protect themselves, it would be safer. The police force is corrupt to the core, and they are totally ineffective. The criminal justice likewise fails to function properly.

I think the only options are to leave Mexico City for a hopefully safer city or leave Mexico altogether (your husband might not be able to go/return to the USA, but you can BOTH go to another country together) Idea
roadwalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:

. . .
I hate to say it, but it's true, that in Mexico, if people were able to have/carry/use firearms to protect themselves, it would be safer.
. . .

Yeah, can't see any problems there.....
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadwalker wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

. . .
I hate to say it, but it's true, that in Mexico, if people were able to have/carry/use firearms to protect themselves, it would be safer.
. . .

Yeah, can't see any problems there.....

Well, I would prefer to live in a society free of weapons, free of guns, with police who do their job, not corrupt cops like in Mexico or the USA...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: