Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting Salary at International Schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IndoGal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:19 am    Post subject: Starting Salary at International Schools Reply with quote

Hello! I am currently teaching at a National Plus school in Indonesia. I will be getting my Masters in TESOL in the next year and plan to apply to some international schools. I was wondering if anyone knew what the starting salary is like at an international school? Do these schools usually let you negotiate a starting salary? I will have five years experience teaching abroad along with my M.A. and some teacher training experience. Will schools give a higher salary depending on experience, or do they normally give everyone the same starting base salary? Any insight would be appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Starting Salary at International Schools Reply with quote

IndoGal wrote:
Will schools give a higher salary depending on experience, or do they normally give everyone the same starting base salary?

I can't speak specifically about Indonesia; however, a US teaching license will make you more desirable for the better international school jobs worldwide.
IndoGal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Nomad Soul. Is a U.S. teaching license different from a state certification? I'm not sure how I would go about getting that if I'm living abroad. My current masters program offers a credential track, but only for California.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndoGal wrote:
Is a U.S. teaching license different from a state certification? I'm not sure how I would go about getting that if I'm living abroad. My current masters program offers a credential track, but only for California.

Yes, international school employers like to see a teaching license/certificate from the teacher's home country (US, UK, Canada, etc.), regardless of the state/province. You could certainly obtain licensure while in the US. But I get the sense you're presently completing your MA as a distance learner and aren't likely to return stateside any time soon.
IndoGal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, I am completing my MA while abroad. I hadn't considered the credential track but I think I might look into it now if it will help with better job prospects. Thanks!
p1randal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a Nat + school and completed my MA TESOL before I came here so I somewhat understand where you are coming from. I originally wanted to do a distance course but ended up returning to the USA and did it there. My program also didn't really have a "certification" track so while I have a Masters Degree I am not a "certified teacher" but from speaking to a dozen or so people from various international schools that doesn't seem to be a problem. My friends from JIS (one of whom is in management there) told me to look into http://www.searchassociates.com/ and that is the way to get the best "international school" jobs..It costs money and is a process but I mean with jobs it tends to be "you get what you pay for" at least in my opinion..

My other question is why necessarily move to a International School? The money can be nearly the same and while the vacations are much better at International Schools..I just wondered why you wanted to leave..

-Regards
IndoGal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to move to an International school because the pay and benefits are better. More than that, though, the local teachers at my school really do not care about the students. They don't really have any integrity and I dont feel as though I have any value as an educator there because many of the teachers really dont care at all about the students. I realize there are people like this everywhere but it is particularly disheartening where Im at. Thanks for the info.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Indonesia is anything like Thailand, International schools abound, fake ones. For an International school that is accredited by a Western organization expect to have to be licensed and have quite a few years of teaching in your country underneath your belt before they will even look at you. There's a lot of schools that go by the name of International School that will tell you they are using such and such curriculum, however many are schools that are looking into being accredited but are not. Western accreditation is very very difficult to obtain. They have to have standards and be wiling to kick unworthy students out of the school, regardless of the social standing and salary of the parents or else they lose accreditation.
IndoGal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the situation is similar in Indonesia, which is why we have National Plus schools. These schools will call themselves international but not operate by all the same standards as a proper international school. The Indonesian Ministry of Education just recently passed a law that the word international cant be used in school names, though, so I think its becoming moe transparent even though as it is you can find out which schools are legit if you look into it.
p1randal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much you are making now (nor is it my business) so I don't really have a frame of reference when you say "they pay more and have better benefits." I know of a few Nat + schools that pay 22-28 depending on your role and background. The benefits in terms of insurance and housing are also good at the schools I am familiar with. I only mention this as if you are making 12-15 then there are more options for you other than JIS, BIS, etc...

Some of what you are experiencing with the Indonesian teachers may be due to difference in culture..I have had similar problems and after undergoing training I am seeing much of it was myself trying to turn eastern teachers into western teachers. I'm not saying you are doing this or that this applies but only that if you expect Indo teachers you act like you then your issues will never end..
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndoGal wrote:
Thank you, Nomad Soul. Is a U.S. teaching license different from a state certification? I'm not sure how I would go about getting that if I'm living abroad. My current masters program offers a credential track, but only for California.

As far as I know there is no U.S. Teaching license. The licenses are issued for teaching in each state, although a teaching license in one state will usually get you one in another state. If you're American what they want to see is a teaching license for one of the states.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
IndoGal wrote:

As far as I know there is no U.S. Teaching license. The licenses are issued for teaching in each state, although a teaching license in one state will usually get you one in another state. If you're American what they want to see is a teaching license for one of the states.

Which would likely be from California, as the OP has noted. (U.S. meaning the country, in general, and not the federal government system.)
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is only such a thing as a state teaching certificate/license, nothing federal. One state is as good as any another as far as overseas international school are concerned.
p1randal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing I will mention is that during a couple discussions I had with "International School" management, I was told that as long as you had the class amount that is consistent with a teaching degree it was fine. For example, I have a bachelors and an MA TESOL, I have taken all the classes needed for a "teaching certificate" I just have taken them at a higher level and as a result the school and unions have this sort of monopoly on "teaching certification"..So I wouldn't necessarily fret over that piece of paper unless you have been told otherwise by the school themselves..Like most things in Indonesia it is more grey than black or white.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: