Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching for Multiple Online Outfits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Teaching for Multiple Online Outfits Reply with quote

Do people do this? I assume that they probably do, especially in the early stages of exploring online teaching, in order to see which outfits pay best and most promptly, which are the least flakey to deal with, etc. But I also guess that it is frowned upon by the outfits themselves - or maybe I'm wrong about that?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless an online school is giving you full-time hours and benefits, why would they care if you were teaching for multiple schools?
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Unless an online school is giving you full-time hours and benefits, why would they care if you were teaching for multiple schools?

Well, that's why I think, but they might mind you also working for "the competition." And in fact, one of the first schools whose application I filled out asked specifically if the candidate was working for any other schools. Of course, there is no particular incentive to answer that question honestly, and plenty of disincentive.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to prevent you from working with the competition--if they really think you're that good--is to offer you full time hours, pay, and benefits. If they can't do that, they have no business complaining. If they want to make an issue out of that, you might want to think twice about whether or not your really want to work for them. Or, at the very least, you'll probably want to be discrete about who your other employers are.

Honestly, I think most schools that can only hire on a part-time basis are aware that many of their instructors will also be moonlighting elsewhere. My guess is that application questions regarding other places of employment are geared towards assessing whether or not you have a demonstrated track record of successful online teaching rather than trying to insure that you work exclusively for a single employer. Just my two cents.

Good luck as you move forward with your applications!
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you may be completely correct about that. My "live" part-time employer in Queretaro made it clear from our very first meeting that he has no problem with my putting in hours at similar outfits in the area. It certainly seems only fair. Of course, I would prefer to work a maximum number of hours for him because he assisted with the logistics of my getting here by helping me to find an affordable apartment. But I have to be realistic, too; I need to fill up my schedule with a combination of live and online classes as quickly as possible, to get the old cash flow going. Because no one pays my bills but me.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the U.S. context, it's generally understood and accepted that many part-timer instructors will cobble together a full-time living from a variety of teaching jobs at multiple schools. I suppose that visa regulations and such might dictate a different approach elsewhere in the world but, as you so well pointed out, you have to do whatever it takes to pay the bills.

Thanks for keeping us updated on your move to Queretaro. (I just now made the connection between this post and your previous posts over on the Mexico forum.) It sounds like, all things considered, your transition from Mexico City has been pretty smooth.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, visa regulations in Mexico are reasonable on these points. In Korea, by contrast, you can only work legally for the outfit that brought you over. That theoretically means no private lessons, although everyone breaks the law and does them anyway.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
In Korea, by contrast, you can only work legally for the outfit that brought you over.

And in such instances, the outfit that brings you over should be legally and morally obligated to provide you with a full-time wage and benefits (which, I suspect, is generally if not always the case in Korea).
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Fitzgerald wrote:
In Korea, by contrast, you can only work legally for the outfit that brought you over.

And in such instances, the outfit that brings you over should be legally and morally obligated to provide you with a full-time wage and benefits (which, I suspect, is generally if not always the case in Korea).

Oh sure, that is true, but it is still a rather inflexible regulation. To my knowledge, that restriction does not exist in Japan; I'm not sure about China or Taiwan.
hollysuel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most online positions, you are an independent contractor, which means, legally, they can't stop you from working elsewhere. I have run into a few online schools, located in China and Korea, where they have a no competition clause, but they are also the ones that try to give you as many hours as you are capable of having and will pay you as an employee instead of independent contractor. For example, I had a contract with a Korean company once who contracted with an American company so they could take taxes out and actually send a W2 at tax time. However, most online companies will give part time hours and shouldn't care if you work for another company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: