Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe Singapore.... but not quite yet....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherchick34

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Maybe Singapore.... but not quite yet.... Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I used to be on the Turkey forum ages ago as listener, have been away from teaching (and Turkey) for a few years, but it is good to be back.

My better half got word that our next move may be to Singapore in early 2016, I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of how far in advance I need to start applying to jobs and if that is a good/bad time of year to be looking.

Also with a TEFL cert and a BA in Spanish with 10 years experience and hopefully by then a completed graduate certificate in testing and assessment from my alma mater in the US what am I looking at pay-wise and job options?:i would prefer to work in a decent language school or university if possible.... realistic or not?

Thanks in advance. ...
teacherchick34

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Insert sound of lonely crickets chirruping here…. Reply with quote

Shocked
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will have no problems finding full time employment here at language schools. Universities look for at least an MA, though if you are studying for your MA whilst applying, that will be no problem either.
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have better opportunities when you're physically here in Singapore. I was very fortunate that my first position here was arranged while I was still in Australia but I knew people working at the university. I have two friends (CELTA/DELTA qualified) trying to relocate back to Singapore but are not having much luck in the current market. Having said that, Singapore is a great place to live and once you're here, and making connections, you'll find that opportunities will start opening up.
teacherchick34

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Thanks guys Reply with quote

Howdy and thanks for that.

While I don't relish going back to working nights and weekends, I really do prefer to work with adults so I suppose the language schools will be the way to go.

If I may ask a followup question: My research so far indicates that once I am there as a dependent, language schools will be willing to get me a letter of consent to work either full or part time. I just want to do a reality check: really? Even for part time work? It is just that easy???

(after Turkey I tend to be suspicious of this kind of happy news)
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you will be able to work on a dependent pass.

Part time work can be very lucrative. My place pays $70 per hour. Nae bad eh?
water rat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from South Africa you may enjoy the racism. Sometimes I would be working with an agent, and arrange to meet him to see an apartment. Then he would call and say to forget it. They only take Chinese there.
teacherchick34

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Good money! Reply with quote

@wailingimam are you pulling my leg now??? 70 per hour??? How does that work??? If this is for real I will definitely stick to part time. I don't mind working nights so much but would prefer not to do weekends….

@waterrat Not from SA, just expatting here, but that has happened to teachers I worked with in Turkey too because they weren't Muslim. No one can tell me the US is the most racist country in the world…. Will make sure the relocation agent to make clear we aren't locals from the get go, maybe…. Thanks for the tip...
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landlords here are choosy regarding the race of people they rent to. I have never faced any problems. Singapore is a very multicultural place and generally very tolerant.

Yes, if you shop around, there is plenty of money to be made teaching here. However, take your time and be patient.
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
Landlords here are choosy regarding the race of people they rent to. I have never faced any problems. Singapore is a very multicultural place and generally very tolerant.

Yes, if you shop around, there is plenty of money to be made teaching here. However, take your time and be patient.
Tolerant and yet somehow provincial. I have had Singaporeans boast to me that the had been to Malaysia (once) as if it weren't a downtown bus ride away. I also dislike, pardon me, that they speak no language that anyone can understand. Many speak English so badly that I can't even understand them after asking them to repeat something twice. I certainly can't understand airport/plane announcements. The mainland Chinese students I had, told me their Mandarin is no better. And yet so many of them imagine that they are bilingual and that "Singlish" is someplace special and worthy despite the fact that only the most ignorant on this island country you can walk across in a few hours is speak it. They brag that many of their prep schools are "recognized by The British Ministry of Education as if that's supposed to impress me. If Singapore were a real country it would be they recognizing schools in faraway places. B.J. Habibie was right, it is a small red dot on the map.

Imam, I'm not trying to start anything with you, I just want the readers to know how pathetic Singapore really is.
teacherchick34

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: It is what it is... Reply with quote

Hey, it is what it is.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Last question: these too-good-to-be-true gigs go 70 per hour, are they under the table tutoring gigs or are they legit part time paying taxes for a company/ school/ language school? Any tips appreciated!

TC
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These jobs are legit. Yes, you would have to pay tax, though it is very low here.

Singapore is a very divisive place. After 8 years, I am still not convinced I like it, but...like an opiate, it keeps expats here for years and years.
teacherchick34

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Hoping for Singapore…. Reply with quote

That is very encouraging news, I am in no immediate rush if it means I can get a really good and flexible job, thank goodness. I think those days are well behind me.

What you said about Singapore could be just as true about Istanbul, I am fascinated! If you are feeling chatty on the subject, what is the appeal?
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore has a lot going for it and although we can dwell on the negatives, I prefer to look at the positive side of things.

Singapore is multi-racial and you can get your fill in Little India, Arab Street or Chinatown. I love going to local community centre nights held for the various ethnic groups. One of my most memorable was when I was new here and a fellow teacher and I wore Indian dress and had a most wonderful time eating, dancing and meeting the locals - all for S$5!

You'll find a lot of people travel often because it's generally quite affordable and it's easy to reach exotic locales for weekend getaways. Eating locally is very economical though Western fare is admittedly expensive.

As an aside, I've dealt with a terrible landlord (HDB) and a fantastic one (private condo). Unfortunately I do think HDB landlords and the agents representing them can be a handful but private housing is far less problematic (my personal experience and from what I've heard).

As for the truly negative, for me it's the heat. It can be oppressing and even after 4.5 years, I can't say I've truly acclimatised.

Anyway, I have had both good and bad experiences here but the good outweigh the negative. I've even fallen in love with a local and we're getting married soon. So it really can't be that bad here Razz

Last edited by singaporehabib on Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the $70 an hour gigs, I better start searching more! That's very good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: