Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The ESL job interview

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: The ESL job interview Reply with quote

What are the things I must bring with me to the ESL job interview? Passport, hard copy of B.A. diploma, a resume -- even if there is nothing on it relevant to teaching ESL? All these things, other stuff as well?

Also, for Bogota, will a cashmere top coat sometimes be appropriate for the weather?
LaLaDivina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering this as well. I think there is a thread somewhere, perhaps in the general forum, about what documents you should bring. I would think a resume is required whether or not you have teaching experience. Did you complete your CELTA or TEFL yet? If you have, that should be on there.
leretif9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The resume: what if you've been out of work for a while? Like, a long while? There has been sustained mass unemployment in the US since the financial collapse of 2008.

What do employers want to see on a resume?
LaLaDivina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, in Colombia they use a CV, not a standard American resume. Even if you haven't worked in a while I would still suggest you create you resume in CV form with the dates and names of your employers, job title and one or two sentences outlining your job function(s). You should also be listing your education, certificates, awards, etc, not to mention your objective, which in this case I would assume is to be an English teacher. I'm not sure how old you are but I imagine you have some type of work history you can add.
allencraig

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A CV IS a resume. Same thing, only in Colombia they like to see a small headshot photo on the CV.

An ESL interview is just like any other interview, only specific to teaching English. Think about what information might come up and bring anything that may support what you imagine will be discussed or will be asked for. A coupla sheets of paper that you end up not needing isn't a problem.
BakerStreetSaxSolo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colombia really isn't as formal as the US when it comes to job interviews (or many things). For some places the interview will be a formality, as they'll see a foreigner with an English degree as a potential star employee, so just be polite and enthusiastic. For better jobs obviously the standards are higher but don't sweat it, basically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: