Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foreign student blames racism for convenience store brawl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
romanworld

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Foreign student blames racism for convenience store brawl Reply with quote

According to initial investigation by police, the student and a friend were drinking outside a convenience store near their dorm at 5 a.m. before the altercation with a Taiwanese student erupted and ended in the student 's forehead being smashed by a beer bottle. Reports said that the Taiwanese student was angered after the student directed profanity at him in English.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taipei/2014/12/09/423639/Foreign-college.htm

This often happens in Taiwan and the issue is often provoked by local Taiwanese guys who are jealous of the handsome white dude with the blond hair who has a couple of good-looking Taiwanese babes on his arm. This problem of course is exacerbated by the fact that there are more men than women to go around in Taiwan, making the competition for females more intense. Men at the clubs in Taipei always outnumber the women by a ratio of about 75 to 25. It's depressing and trouble between the races always ensues. Anyway, I don't know why a western guy would choose to do a Ph.d in Taiwan. Besides the weekly violence and local xenophobia, the degree would be worthless outside of Taiwan, except maybe in a place like Laos. Maybe the guy was planning to take up a research position later at one of the top universities in Vientiane?
markcmc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Foreign student blames racism for convenience store braw Reply with quote

romanworld wrote:
Besides the weekly violence and local xenophobia

For the most part Taiwan is peaceful and Taiwanese are not particularly xenophobic.
romanworld

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Foreign student blames racism for convenience store braw Reply with quote

markcmc wrote:
For the most part Taiwan is peaceful . . .

Try telling that to the poor guy that got hit over the head with the bottle. And please don't tell me he deserved it. I've heard that particular rationalisation from many expats in Taiwan who reassure themselves with such thoughts. The issue is that Taiwanese guys are jealous of white guys because they often get the attention from the local girls at that time of night and this often provokes violence.

And as for the Taiwanese being peaceful. Humbug! You might wanna read this story about another student who ran amok on the Taipei Metro:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Taipei_Metro_attack
markcmc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never imagined he deserved it. What you described happens, I've seen it too, but I still think Taiwan is a safe destination for teachers choosing a country to live in.

Do you see incidents like this every time you go out, or most times? I've lived in cities in the north of England where I did. On a world scale I still think Taiwan is quite peaceful - never perfect, of course.
Akisan2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Foreign student blames racism for convenience store braw Reply with quote

Hey there...
I'm new on the forum, but not in Taiwan. My 2 cents on this issue and comment on some of your opinions...

romanworld wrote:

This often happens in Taiwan and the issue is often provoked by local Taiwanese guys who are jealous of the handsome white dude with the blond hair who has a couple of good-looking Taiwanese babes on his arm.

The article says nothing about his race (besides that he's a foreigner) nor any details about female accompanies, just "friend." Did you actually see this footage, or was this statement a mere speculation?

romanworld wrote:
This problem of course is exacerbated by the fact that there are more men than women to go around in Taiwan, making the competition for females more intense. Men at the clubs in Taipei always outnumber the women by a ratio of about 75 to 25. It's depressing and trouble between the races always ensues.

I agree about the ratio, but not necessarily about the race. I do agree the notion of racial discrimination to an extent, as I have also been a victim of it in numerous occasions. (I'm non white, FYI)

I, however, challenge the use of frequency term "always" in this statement. I've seen *some* violences in similar fashion, but I've also seen many foreign residents here in Taiwan abusing their racial advantages in various social and non-social situations. I admit I have dodged few bullets because of my background in some hairy situations.

I'm in no way stating that this guy deserved this, but why did he swear at this Taiwanese guy? Did he(Taiwanese) say something to him first? Why didn't this foreigner just leave or ignore this guy? Did this foreigner had some snobby notions right from the get go? Why was he drinking at a convenience store at 5:00am? Who knows from this ambiguous report.
romanworld

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akisan2 wrote:
I'm in no way stating that this guy deserved this, but why did he swear at this Taiwanese guy?

Did he? Were you there? Maybe he said nothing and was attacked simply because he was a foreigner? Or maybe he was with a local lady? Or maybe he was the victim of a motiveless attack, simply being in the wrong place at the wrong hour of the day? It's all speculation. However one thing is for sure: The guy was a foreigner and he was attacked by a Taiwanese in a very violent manner. In the West this would be considered a 'hate crime'. The culprit should have been arrested and put through the legal process, but looking at this from the outside he seems guilty. Unfortunately I can't find the video that was posted at Youtube by the victim. I assume that the Taiwanese authorities badgered him to take it down in order to preserve the illusion that Taiwan is populated by nice and friendly people, which of course is a complete fabrication.
platinum peyote

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say Taiwan seemed that racist or xenophobic to me, it's nowhere near the level of a place like South Korea.
Chroniclesoffreedom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Taiwan. But I believe China is a friendlier place to be. And I plan to go there soon.

Romanworld, why don't you just leave Taiwan and go to China? Some Chinese I met told me that China is much nicer.

No?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: