Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL certification through ittt (teflcourse.net) in Surabaya
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcld26

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: TEFL certification through ittt (teflcourse.net) in Surabaya Reply with quote

Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone is familiar with this program in Surabaya. Or, perhaps if anyone had any general thoughts on obtaining TEFL certification overseas "in class" rather than online.

Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELTA is the brand-name entry level TEFL cert, and if you're going to do an in-class cert, it's probably most efficient to go for the known quantity of a CELTA.

Online certs generally aren't considered very useful by employers, because they don't include supervised teaching practice with real students. This is the key to a good onsite cert.
kcld26

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response and advice. I realize that my question was very vague as I did not give any background information about myself. Without going into too much detail, I was just hoping that someone out there would have information on that program.

Basically, I am a fully certified high school Mathematics teacher from New York with a Masters Degree in Education. My intentions are to secure a position at an International School teaching Math, but in the future. For right now, I just want to try out teaching English for a year, as this has always been a passion of mine.

Therefore, I do not want to go all out and get the CELTA, but I also did not want to skimp out and get one of the 'quick and cheap' online courses. I thought perhaps taking the course in Surabaya would be a 'middle of the road' path for me to take.

Thank you again for your input!
p1randal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your line of thinking seems about right..You don't need the cert to teach in an international school but if you want a low key gap year then maybe that is a good chance to get your feet wet.

I am not familiar with the program though to answer your first question.
lrbrugby

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a Trinity College London CertTESOL course based in Indonesia?... If so that might be worth looking into. It is recognised as equivalent to a CELTA but might come in a little bit cheaper depending on possible course providers.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrbrugby wrote:
Is there a Trinity College London CertTESOL course based in Indonesia?... If so that might be worth looking into. It is recognised as equivalent to a CELTA but might come in a little bit cheaper depending on possible course providers.

Yes, from IALF in Denpasar. Cost is about 1800 USD I believe, for the four week course (not including accommodation, meals, etc). Trinity Cert TESOL is considered equivalent in quality to CELTA, though it may have more limited name recognition in some countries.

From my own research online, there is not a great deal of difference in cost between CELTA or Trinity Cert TESOL and less-recognized on-site TEFL cert courses, so unless you just want to take a less demanding course, you might be better off going for one of the former.

CELTA courses are also offered in Jakarta as well as in cities in other neighboring countries, like Thailand, Vietnam, etc.
kcld26

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your responses. After a little more research into different courses, I have realized something. The TEFL certificate in Surabaya that I was thinking about costs $1600 and the CELTA certificate in Jakarta is only $200 more, costing $1800?! I thought there was a huge price difference, but apparently I was wrong. I still have not made a decision yet, but I appreciate all the input. Cheers!
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would a fully certified state teacher from USA want to obtain a CELTA equivalent and move into the murky world of ESL Indonesia? I mean, you'd be exchanging a decent expat package obtainable from an International school for language school's shared housing and oh-so generous salary that would cover your living expenses but little more.....
kcld26

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tazz,

You bring up an excellent point and one that I am fully aware of. I guess I have been doing a little soul searching and have been feeling quite lost to be honest. I really would love to teach Math at an International School, but I am finding it a little bit difficult to find a job at the moment. My heart is set on Indonesia and it does not seem like too many International Schools have positions open for Math teachers right now. So, I figured I would teach English for a year to follow my dream of living in Indonesia, in the hopes that more jobs will open up in the following school year. I know it is a huge pay difference and the overall package is not as 'glamorous', but I am more in it for the experience than the money anyway. Hmmmm what to do?! Thanks for your input, anyway!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcld26 wrote:
So, I figured I would teach English for a year to follow my dream of living in Indonesia, in the hopes that more jobs will open up in the following school year.

Is Indonesia the only "dream" country on your list?
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You bring up an excellent point and one that I am fully aware of. I guess I have been doing a little soul searching and have been feeling quite lost to be honest. I really would love to teach Math at an International School, but I am finding it a little bit difficult to find a job at the moment. My heart is set on Indonesia and it does not seem like too many International Schools have positions open for Math teachers right now. So, I figured I would teach English for a year to follow my dream of living in Indonesia, in the hopes that more jobs will open up in the following school year. I know it is a huge pay difference and the overall package is not as 'glamorous', but I am more in it for the experience than the money anyway. Hmmmm what to do?! Thanks for your input, anyway!

I actually think your logic is quite solid. Openings at good international schools aren't rampant, and getting yourself established in a region teaching EFL will give you good opportunities to build local contacts and reputation, so that you are in position to compete when openings do come up.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcld26 wrote:
I really would love to teach Math at an International School, but I am finding it a little bit difficult to find a job at the moment. My heart is set on Indonesia and it does not seem like too many International Schools have positions open for Math teachers right now. So, I figured I would teach English for a year to follow my dream of living in Indonesia, in the hopes that more jobs will open up in the following school year. I know it is a huge pay difference and the overall package is not as 'glamorous', but I am more in it for the experience than the money anyway.

Your motivations, as stated, make perfect sense to me, OP. It's not always just about the "money, money, money", as someone wrote in a song.

You might consider applying to some of what have been often referred to as National Plus schools, either before or after doing your CELTA / Trinity Cert/ TEFL. They do not pay as much as the upper-tier, "true" International schools (** note that most schools in Indonesia are no longer using the word "international" in their names, per new government regulations, nor are Indonesian schools allowed to call themselves "National Plus" anymore; many of the schools formerly known as National Plus or International are now or will soon be known as "SPK" or Satuan Pendidikan Kerja, which basically refers to schools which run an international curriculum and /or have cooperation with schools in other countries), but they would certainly pay more than most language schools (with the possible or partial exception of Wall Street English and maybe KELT, that I know of. **).

The school I work for in Medan, which has previously been known as a "National Plus", would love to hire a state-qualified Western teacher who can teach both Math and English, and I'm sure many others would too. Most schools of this type want a two year contract, though some may be willing to offer one year. The benefits are definitely less than what a true, top-tier international school would offer, but certainly better than you would get from most language schools.

After completing a contract with an SPK and having a track record in an Indonesian school, you might look better to the higher-paying schools (don't forget that many of what are now, or soon will be designated as "SPK" basically ARE the "international schools", just under a mandated new name and new classification). In any case, there will be plenty of SPK who will be hiring qualified teachers, and having a state license and a CELTA / TEFL will make you more than sufficiently qualified for many of them.

Good luck!
kcld26

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
kcld26 wrote:
So, I figured I would teach English for a year to follow my dream of living in Indonesia, in the hopes that more jobs will open up in the following school year.

Is Indonesia the only "dream" country on your list?

At the moment, yes it is. I may perhaps venture on to another country eventually, but I fell in love with Indonesia more and more each time I traveled there (about 3 - 4 times over the past few years) and I just can't shake the dream of wanting to settle down there for a while and immerse myself in everything Indonesian!
kcld26

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

I actually think your logic is quite solid. Openings at good international schools aren't rampant, and getting yourself established in a region teaching EFL will give you good opportunities to build local contacts and reputation, so that you are in position to compete when openings do come up.

Thank you very much for your input! Each time someone tells me what I am doing 'sounds good' or anything along the lines of that type of advice, it truly does help me and push me further to follow my dreams, so thank you so much for taking the time out to tell me so! Cheers!
kcld26

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterytrain wrote:

Your motivations, as stated, make perfect sense to me, OP. It's not always just about the "money, money, money", as someone wrote in a song.

You might consider applying to some of what have been often referred to as National Plus schools, either before or after doing your CELTA / Trinity Cert/ TEFL. They do not pay as much as the upper-tier, "true" International schools (** note that most schools in Indonesia are no longer using the word "international" in their names, per new government regulations, nor are Indonesian schools allowed to call themselves "National Plus" anymore; many of the schools formerly known as National Plus or International are now or will soon be known as "SPK" or Satuan Pendidikan Kerja, which basically refers to schools which run an international curriculum and /or have cooperation with schools in other countries), but they would certainly pay more than most language schools (with the possible or partial exception of Wall Street English and maybe KELT, that I know of. **).

The school I work for in Medan, which has previously been known as a "National Plus", would love to hire a state-qualified Western teacher who can teach both Math and English, and I'm sure many others would too. Most schools of this type want a two year contract, though some may be willing to offer one year. The benefits are definitely less than what a true, top-tier international school would offer, but certainly better than you would get from most language schools.

After completing a contract with an SPK and having a track record in an Indonesian school, you might look better to the higher-paying schools (don't forget that many of what are now, or soon will be designated as "SPK" basically ARE the "international schools", just under a mandated new name and new classification). In any case, there will be plenty of SPK who will be hiring qualified teachers, and having a state license and a CELTA / TEFL will make you more than sufficiently qualified for many of them.

Good luck!

Thank you so much mysterytrain for your input and advice. I have been trying to look into the "National Plus Schools" but am having a bit of trouble finding information on these schools, or they do not advertise much on their websites. I am going to send you a private message if that is okay so I can perhaps ask you for further advice. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: