Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International house Madrid/Cadiz¨/Palma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giraffe77

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: International house Madrid/Cadiz¨/Palma Reply with quote

Hi all!

I am thinking of asking for an IH transfer and I would like to know if any of you have worked in these academies before.
I am in search of sunlight cos in the North of Spain the winter is so looonnggg....Have you worked for IH Madrid or the any of the ones mentiones? ARe they good placs to work ?

Thanks a lot
SirKirby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All lovely places to live, can't tell you a lot about the schools. Cadiz and Palma are especially nice if you'd rather live in a smaller city, and both would be high on my list if I could pick anywhere to live in Spain.

I've visited both IH Cadiz and IH Madrid for various reasons, generally social, but isn't there more than one centre in Madrid?. Cadiz must be quite a small school in terms of student and teachers (I'm guessing from its size) but seems well equipped (IWBs and so on) and friendly. Can't tell you a lot else.

Suspect you'd also find the winter long in Madrid, though I've only ever been there in the summer.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Madrid Reply with quote

Madrid gets bitterly cold in winter, although there's still a lot of sunshine. Better to head south.
JRJohn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: IH Madrid Reply with quote

I briefly worked for IH Madrid, but that was 13 years ago, in the Business Section. I was quite pleasantly surprised by the fact that the school had lots of teaching materials neatly-arranged according to English level. I really enjoyed their weekly teaching seminars, which were invaluable to me. I felt there was good camaraderie among the English-speaking staff.
If you work for IH Madrid, you may be asked to teach outside Madrid city. That will require getting a taxi, and bringing the receipt back to school so that you can claim expenses (OBVIOUSLY you will still be teaching inside "Madrid province" what the Spanish call "la comunidad de Madrid," but to me it's outside the city). I recently read articles about IH Madrid, and indeed they do hold some classes outside the city-perhaps more so than before. But there is more than one branch in Madrid, and I worked in the Business Section where you do more in-company work. There is also a branch that focuses on children and another, in the university town, which focuses on university students.
One more point: they do insist that you have CELTA or TESOL at grade B or above. (Perhaps they really want an A)? The academic year starts in October, not September as it used to be.
I enjoyed living in Madrid. But I can live with winter. You will experience a warm spring and autumn, September, October, March TO June can be really pleasant.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for IH Madrid but left due to a dispute I had with them. They have great resources and generally a nice atmosphere. In terms of salary, they're a joke. You can earn much more in Madrid doing in-company classes and if you become autonomo you'll do well. Many IH teachers look down on people who teach for 'cowboy' schools (this happens to be any school that isn't IH)

A lot of teachers like IH and the British Council because of reputation. Unfortunately, reputation doesn't pay bills.
kpjf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Madrid Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
Madrid gets bitterly cold in winter, although there's still a lot of sunshine. Better to head south.

And this summer hitting 40 degrees! Who would enjoy that? When I was in Málaga late December last year it was a lovely mid 20 degrees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: