Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RMIT?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hatcher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: RMIT? Reply with quote

I have applied to RMIT many times and emailed them as well. Never once did they respond.

Yet, they only advertise on their homepage....

Anyone else have the same experience?
deadlift

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only contact applicants that they want to interview.

Either you don't meet the criteria, or your application isn't very strong. Follow the instructions on their web page and include all requested documents. The statement addressing key selection criteria is important, so do it properly.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadlift wrote:
They only contact applicants that they want to interview.

Either you don't meet the criteria, or your application isn't very strong. Follow the instructions on their web page and include all requested documents. The statement addressing key selection criteria is important, so do it properly.

Uh huh. The application is what will get you the interview and the interview is what what will get you the job. I actually think the application phase is more competitive than the interview. Please be aware that they receive scores of applications every week and you need to stand out a bit from the herd. I spent many, many hours on completing the application, paying particular attention to how I fulfilled the key selection criteria. I would review your application and resubmit it the next time there is an opening. Good luck!
isabel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a lot of people are leaving again. What's happening?
lexpat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isabel wrote:

Seems to me...

1) New visa rules. No more cheap, easy 3 month renewals, and it's not just teachers leaving because they will soon need work permit. The 'ghetto' on Le Thanh Ton has lost almost all of its Westerner population. Most of those guys were nomadic businesspeople who worked with their laptops (day traders and the like), or people trying to start businesses of various sorts. Vietnam is no longer the cheapest option for the former and no longer a place with a great, near term future for those looking to sell stuff.

2) Generational turnover. Most young teachers are now economic refugees. The long timers were here because they liked the lifestyle, which has changed a lot. I think the idea that wages have declined is not really that important, but it might be a factor for some of the best. Also: shout out to ExpatLuke, who has informed me that local women now like western young men with blue eyes and blonde hair, so maybe the legions of 40ish Brits and Aussies left because their paunchy baldness was no longer esteemed. Dunno.

3) The locally owned schools continue to get worse. As the economy has declined, many who have no interest in English/teaching etc have moved into the biz purely to make money. The national motto, "Penny wise, pound foolish," continues sabotaging everything...

...but I don't think they are leaving RMIT so much. There WAS a big scandal there a few years ago regarding faked credentials, but like lots of places now they hire almost exclusively from outside VN - which means far more people arrive without knowing what's waiting and leave after their third motorbike accident.
cb400

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexpat wrote:
isabel wrote:

Seems to me...

1) New visa rules. No more cheap, easy 3 month renewals, and it's not just teachers leaving because they will soon need work permit. The 'ghetto' on Le Thanh Ton has lost almost all of its Westerner population. Most of those guys were nomadic businesspeople who worked with their laptops (day traders and the like), or people trying to start businesses of various sorts. Vietnam is no longer the cheapest option for the former and no longer a place with a great, near term future for those looking to sell stuff.

2) Generational turnover. Most young teachers are now economic refugees. The long timers were here because they liked the lifestyle, which has changed a lot. I think the idea that wages have declined is not really that important, but it might be a factor for some of the best. Also: shout out to ExpatLuke, who has informed me that local women now like western young men with blue eyes and blonde hair, so maybe the legions of 40ish Brits and Aussies left because their paunchy baldness was no longer esteemed. Dunno.

3) The locally owned schools continue to get worse. As the economy has declined, many who have no interest in English/teaching etc have moved into the biz purely to make money. The national motto, "Penny wise, pound foolish," continues sabotaging everything...

...but I don't think they are leaving RMIT so much. There WAS a big scandal there a few years ago regarding faked credentials, but like lots of places now they hire almost exclusively from outside VN - which means far more people arrive without knowing what's waiting and leave after their third motorbike accident.

A perfect summary of the scene in VN now. I am number one, though never hung out at the ghetto. Don't forget if you had a WP and it expired you are still required to leave the country to get a new one.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard they were having their budget cut and massively restructuring their contracts. And we all know that what that usually means is pay cuts or loss of benefits.
isabel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, about RMIT, and the number of educators leaving.
EFL4Life

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by EFL4Life on Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:52 am; edited 2 times in total
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL4Life wrote:
Yes,

RMIT did cut pay for their teachers.

I believe it was a cut of a $1,000 per month.

Apparently they are also restructuring or changing. I believe enrollments are down.

O.o A pay cut of $1000 per month is insane. Can anyone confirm this? Sounds like the king has fallen.
BenE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm this from a direct source of management. Wouldn't recommend applying there now. You might find more work for little money Sad
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is about what I have heard. They are losing lots of faculty. I hadn't heard about the wage cuts. nasty business. But the management are nasty people.
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about RMIT, unless you are amongst the favored few, they will work your ass off, and watch your every minute to be sure you warm your seat 8 hours a day. A factory, with panopticon management.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find RMIT to be that bad - in fact, I thought they were an excellent employer by TEFL standards (about on a par with British Council or slightly better) - but admittedly it's over three years since I was there.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psychedelicacy wrote:
I didn't find RMIT to be that bad - in fact, I thought they were an excellent employer by TEFL standards (about on a par with British Council or slightly better) - but admittedly it's over three years since I was there.

Seconded. I haven't worked there for just over 6 months, but, based on my experiences, they were an excellent employer, by TEFL or any other standards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: