Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private tutor gigs in/around Ostia--how to advertise?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpirello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Private tutor gigs in/around Ostia--how to advertise? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'll be spending April and May 2015 in Ostia (right outside of Rome) in order to improve my Italian. While there, I hope to find some private students who want to improve their English.

Can anyone help me with advice about the best way to advertise for students? I prefer teaching adults but would consider teens.

I'm an American citizen but also have an Italian passport. I have a BA and MA in Linguistics and a TESOL certification, with extensive experience as a private tutor.

Although I've traveled extensively in Italy and have stayed with family, this is the first time I'll be living there on my own. I appreciate any and all advice for this 62-year-old female newbie!

Grazie tante.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. There aren't many who will want lessons for such a short time, though April/May are probably pretty good months for private lessons, given that it's outside of summer holiday time.

You might advertise that you can offer intensive, crash-course type lessons for specific purposes, such as IELTS exams or upgrading their CVs for new job applications. If I were you, I'd consider taking out ads prior to arrival along these lines, in the hopes of getting a few students interested and possibly committed even before I arrive.
kpirello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, spiral78--helpful info. I could also offer a "crash course" in pronunciation, a specialty and something I really enjoy teaching.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea; something with a clear value that not every teacher out there wants to specialize in (personally hate dealing with pronunciation issues myself!).
This is an aspect that can actually be impacted by a shorter term intensive course, so realistic to expect some noticeable benefit in the time period. Should be sell-able.
kpirello

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: How/where to advertise? Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement vis a vis Pronunciation tutoring. I will focus on that aspect. Now, does anyone have advice on where and how to advertise those services, both before I arrive in Ostia, and after? I'll be close enough to Rome that I could meet up with students there as well. Grazie tante!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: