Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clarification regarding TESOL conference in March

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Clarification regarding TESOL conference in March Reply with quote

This is regarding attending the job fair-which is all I'm interested in......job fair-200 AED, bit expensive-but can handle that. However, according to the conference website, it looks like anybody wishing to attend the job fair has to also pay the 1170 AED for conference membership-making a grand total payment of 1370 AED ??!!! Can anybody confirm this from previous experience? This is an extortionate fee to basically tout your CV at a job fair....
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct. If you want to attend the job fair, you'll also have to pay for the conference:

Quote:
Register and pay for the TESOL Arabia Conference and Exhibition and also the Job Fair. (http://www.tesolarabia.co/tacon-2015-job-fair-candidates/)

Besides, the job fair and the conference share the same facility; attendees are able to freely go back and forth between the conference rooms/space and the job fair area.
Tazz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation. That's outright extortion to attend a job fair. Won't be going for sure now....
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation. That's outright extortion to attend a job fair. Won't be going for sure now....

You're not the first one to make that assertion, Tazz.

https://chroniclevitae.com/news/853-the-1-000-job-interview-that-will-not-die
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dh1370=US$373

To attend the US TESOL convention for only one day as a non-member is US$275. But, of course one can't necessarily attend and get interviews in one day... so two days $455. Full conference is $645. (membership + conference would be $495.)

It is not cheap to run these conferences. They aren't organizations that make profits or even pay salaries. If one wants to take advantage of meeting and interviewing with a number of organizations, it is worth it IMHO. I never actually used the job fair when I attended the conference. I used them to network so that I never needed it. But I have had many friends who did use it successfully. YMMV

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto VS' comments. Besides, if the OP were a member of TESOL Arabia, the 3-day conference + job fair would cost 840 AED ($230) for a savings of nearly $150 compared to the non-member fees.

I got a job through TESOL Arabia's job fair several years ago, so it can be successful for some job seekers. The key is to have solid qualifications (relevant MA and 3+ years of experience) and/or a special skill or knowledge. Plus, not all employers limit their recruitment to just those applicant attending the job fair. A few employers use the fair solely to collect CVs for later review.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to TESOL Arabia a couple of times and used the Job Fair, but did not get a job through them. On my first visit I was so appalled at the low level of "academic presentations" that I put one on myself. I signed up dozens of members for the "Scot47 Fan Club" (A Limited Company registered under the Laws of Tralfamador)

I even persuaded my then employer (Saudi Arabian Airlines) to pay for me to go and talk !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: