Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The skinny on direct-hire university opportunities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Moreover, confirmation of previous employment is the responsibility of the job candidate and not the new employer; it's not enough to simply provide the contact info of past employers. This can come as a big uh-oh to applicants who, for whatever reasons, didn't obtain documentation from each former employer, especially if they have significant relevant experience. Something to keep in mind before leaving that last job.

Is it only the Middle East that wants these "letters of employment"? Americans have never heard of such a thing because in the US, they would be considered useless to a new employer. They want direct communication with ex-employers... to prove that the letter wasn't fiction created by who knows who.

And when you ask for one from a US employer, you have to write it for them as they don't have any idea what you are talking about...

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite common.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, once I explained exactly what I needed and why, getting employment verification letters from my previous US employers was a snap, especially since most are government entities that deal with a variety of official documents. It's also easy to obtain certificates/letters of employment from Mid East employers (granted you're leaving on good terms) because these documents are commonplace. However, depending on the job situation, culture, and language proficiency, I suspect it could be a bit tricky to get employers from countries in other world regions to comply with this request.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the document before you leave and then have it safely locked away in that Swiss bank vault where you stash all your savings.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Get the document before you leave and then have it safely locked away in that Swiss bank vault where you stash all your savings.

And definitely don't request it on your last day of employment. Shocked
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting a few PMs lately about direct hiring, so I'm bumping this thread.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
However, depending on the job situation, culture, and language proficiency, I suspect it could be a bit tricky to get employers from countries in other world regions to comply with this request.

I asked about obtaining a document like this from Westgate, the recruiter for Japanese universities and schools. They said "regarding our reference policy, we provide the reference letter to the school or company that our former instructors apply for directly." I'm wondering if anyone has worked for Westgate and then got a job in Saudi Arabia. How were you able to document your experience with Westgate? Thanks in advance!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttxor1 wrote:
I asked about obtaining a document like this from Westgate, the recruiter for Japanese universities and schools. They said "regarding our reference policy, we provide the reference letter to the school or company that our former instructors apply for directly."

Maybe it's because you're asking for the wrong thing. It's an employment verification letter---not a reference letter. Here's what I'd stated earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Many university employers calculate salary based on the applicant's verified years of professional experience, which is why job ads for direct-hire positions generally don't indicate salary. Applicants are to provide signed employment certificates or letters (on letterhead) from each previous employer stating the applicant's employment start and end dates, job title, and optionally, salary and responsibilities. Each letter/employment cert should also include the employer representative's job title and contact info.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Westgate aeons ago.. The contracts, unless they have changed things, are only for three months. They don't pay you during the holidays and simply sign you up for the next term on another three month contract.. I don't even include them on my CV..

The good thing about Westgate is that you get a working visa which is valid for a year. I went on to work at several universities in Japan, so I am grateful to them for giving me a foothold from which to climb.

I wouldn't have much faith in them providing a verification letter to be honest. I would definitely ask for that before you left..........
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Oman I was told to write it myself, print it off on official notepaper and then take it to the HOD for a signature and stamp. This is what I did and was infinitely preferable to actually having it written by a semi-literate HOD with a phd in English from a dodgy uni!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Bump)
nellyp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of Saudi Universities. I am not having much luck with it, but perhaps it will help others. I was hoping to be able to use it for applications, but I have not had much time to do so yet.

http://www.4icu.org/sa/saudi-arabian-universities.htm
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That list is dated. This one from Wikipedia is current as of 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_and_colleges_in_Saudi_Arabia

Before searching each university individually, check out the sites indicated in my initial post. But again, recruitment for direct-hire positions generally kicks off in March/April for the beginning of the upcoming academic year. So you're looking at slim pickins' if there are any openings left to fill at this point.
nellyp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
That list is dated. This one from Wikipedia is current as of 2014: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_and_colleges_in_Saudi_Arabia

Before searching each university individually, check out the sites indicated in my initial post. But again, recruitment for direct-hire positions generally kicks off in March/April for the beginning of the upcoming academic year. So you're looking at slim pickins' if there are any openings left to fill at this point.

Fair play, the wikipedia list is much easier to use (links). I normally avoid wikipedia when I want the truth though lol
No Place Like Home

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was with an agency for my first job, then switched to direct hire when I changed jobs. Never had any problems, the recruitment staff were exceptionally professional. Usual package and T&C, we had free secure accommodation on the DQ which was a nice bonus on top of an average salary. No complaints from me Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: