Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equivalency to the GCSE-American citizen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
citadel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Equivalency to the GCSE-American citizen Reply with quote

I am qualified teacher from the US but would like to have my PGCE since I will be moving to Europe ( one I get my dual citizenship in order) I was asked by one university about my GCSE marks. For one, I don't have GCSE marks since I went to high school and the university in the states. What is equivalent?

The disadvantage with US is the constant renewal every five years, which can be difficult while living abroad. Once the PGCE QTS is a little more permanent and more desired at top tier private international schools.Also, I worked in British schools and found working there far more rewarding
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Equivalent Reply with quote

I'm surprised that a university would ask such a question. As you are a qualified school teacher, I imagine you hold a high school diploma, which would be on a par with the English A-level exams.
citadel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised as well. I have university degree BA double major in English Literature (B plus average) and Political Science ( A minus average). I have post graduate studies in education, including extra courses ( honorable mention) and exams I took to get qualified in the US.

The application is an automated system and asks for marks on GSCE. The system will not allow me to leave it blank and proceed to the next page.

Do you know of any university that takes a lot foreigners? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you are being asked about GCSE exams is because of the UK Government regulations - before you can start a PGCE course you have to produce evidence that you have at least a Grade C in GCSE in English Language, Maths and Science.

There are some equivalencies but you need to ask the place you are applying to, since they do vary. However, there is no escape from this requirement.
billbob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider your GPA from high school in English, maths and the sciences and decide whether to award yourself a C, B, A or A star for the GCSE in each subject. You can then explain yourself in the interview. It's either that, or try to contact recruitment people directly.

Automated forms are a PITA.

When my friends were ding PGCEs a decade or so ago, you needed at least C in maths, English and science GCSEs to even be considered for the course. If you don't think your skills are worthy of a C, or the PGCE enrolment insists on this, then it's off to an adult education college for a year for you to pass these GCSEs!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: