Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yangon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Yangon Reply with quote

HI all, I hope someone can help me out please.
I have seen a few jobs coming up in Yangon in International Schools and I have a few questions about Yangon if anyone can help.
How is living in Yangon ? Is there a bit of an expat scene ?
Is it easy to get out from Yangon to the countryside / seaside on the weekends ?
What would be the minimum salary acceptable to have a good time and save some cash ?
Are there any decent gyms there ?
General impressions.
Many thanks and I thank you in advance.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might begin with the most recent thread on this topic, which conveniently provides links to a few older threads that are still up to date:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=109542

While this probably won't answer all of your questions, it will certainly give you a good head start.
mrjack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Yangon Reply with quote

Any Ideas whether $38,000 top line plus $500 rent per month is a good offer in Myanmar ?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Yangon Reply with quote

mrjack wrote:
Any Ideas whether $38,000 top line plus $500 rent per month is a good offer in Myanmar ?

Laborers and factory workers earn about US $150/month (<$2000/yr)...

Government workers earn about the same (before bribes).

esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Yangon Reply with quote

mrjack wrote:

If you decide to take the job, please let us know how it goes.
iamnotateacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Yangon Reply with quote

mrjack wrote:
Is there a bit of an expat scene ?
Yes, there are several expat scenes. Everything from groups of younger expats who tour the bars/parties every weekend to older expats who congregate on the golf course or play tennis, hash house harriers etc. Certain places like the Aussie, British & American Embassy clubs have swimming pools and are popular with families (membership required), other families use swimming pools like the one at the Inya Lake Hotel (no membership required, just pay each time you visit, expensive!)
mrjack wrote:
Is it easy to get out from Yangon to the countryside / seaside on the weekends ?
Yes. You can leave Friday afternoon/evening and reach Ngwesaung or Chaungtha beaches. If you're working here and have a FRC (Foreign Registration Certificate) you can pay the same prices as locals at certain hotels. You can hire a car/minivan and go as a group or drive yourself if you have a car.
mrjack wrote:
What would be the minimum salary acceptable to have a good time and save some cash ?
Excluding rent for accomodation I would say US$2,000-3,000/pcm, purely my opinion though.
mrjack wrote:
Are there any decent gyms there ?
Yes, can cost in excess of US$100/pcm though. Local gyms are available for US$10/pcm.
mrjack wrote:
Nothing wrong with the US$38K in my opinion, sounds good. It's the US$500/pcm that is more concerning. You're not going to get very much for that. A basic apartment is all that you could hope for. You should be able to find one which has a western style toilet, decent water tank (and pump) and a couple of aircons. Look for things like voltage stabilisers to make your life that much better. For that money I would expect some basic furniture which would include a fridge, a cooker/range of some description and a TV with a DVD player.

I've read some of the older posts on here regarding accomodation and people getting upset about it. The truth is that it is very frustrating trying to find what you want here for a decent price. Good information, even with the recent introduction of online real estate services is hard to come by, alot of the local real estate agents adopt a "take it or leave it" attitude which winds people up. Also much of it makes very little sense as prices vary so wildly, often for reasons foreigners are not concerned with (i.e. proximity to a local bus stop etc). And to finish it off, people do not feel that they're getting value for money.

I personally know of two schools here that now arrange accomodation for the teachers they hire, I believe a few others assist. Look into this, because if they can help you, it would save you a lot of hassle.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that exceptionally useful post, iamnotateacher! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: