Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any teachers still working in Libya ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CliveRAG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Are there any teachers still working in Libya ? Reply with quote

Have they all left ?

Is anyone there at the moment ? Is it still fraught with danger ?

Do you think short term people might be confident about returning ?

What do you guys think and know about the situation and future possibilities ?
Mushkilla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clive, if you are a British national, then this may apply to you:

"The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Libya due to the ongoing fighting and greater instability throughout the country. British nationals in Libya are strongly urged to leave immediately by commercial means."
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/libya
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

We left at the beginning of August. I'm a Libya vet and know many locals, all of whom are telling me it's bad. Not one of my team has returned. Security is awful and just getting in and out is not easy. It has to be said that the oil companies haven't even offered to compensate people for the difficult situation. If it takes you 3 days to get out, you don't get 3 days extra leave for example. The possibilities for things going wrong are endless. Waha, Zuitina, SOC and Harooj haven't facilitated anyone going back but some have done it independently via Istanbul with a company letter and Libyan Arab. Don't go now or you deserve what you get.

It's my second evac. Last time we were out 14 months.

The Libyan attitude to foreigners has deteriorated since before the war. Managers are terrified of the locals and cave in constantly to their demands. Us expats moaning are an embuggerance. Libyans simply don't care about us any more. That means airports pickup no-shows, 36-hour stopovers, not fulfilling contracts. Our company won't even announce anything and it's left to it's Facebook page.

We are bombing Daesh and there are plenty of nutters there now. Derna youth pledged it's allegiance to ISIS just a few days ago.

These people have lost the plot.

The 'Libyan Way' is madness, incompetence and indifference.

Oh-and it's all our fault.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

Everything is fine in Misrata ..flights have resumed in and out of Libya and existing teachers have extended their contracts. Lots of job vacancies for EFL instructors at schools around town according to my EFL colleagues. Smile Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: really? Reply with quote

I don't know of one teacher who has returned.

The west will be OK long before the east IMHO.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushkilla wrote:
Clive, if you are a British national, then this may apply to you:

"The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to Libya due to the ongoing fighting and greater instability throughout the country. British nationals in Libya are strongly urged to leave immediately by commercial means."
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/libya

This is the last update from USDOS, from the end of July, and it has not been updated nor rescinded since then:

Libya Travel Warning
LAST UPDATED: JULY 26, 2014
The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against all travel to Libya and recommends that U.S. citizens currently in Libya depart immediately. On July 26, the U.S. Embassy suspended all embassy operations in Libya and relocated staff, due to ongoing violence between Libyan militias in the immediate vicinity of the Embassy.
This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning issued on May 27, 2014.

Please direct inquiries regarding U.S. citizens in Libya to [email protected]. Callers in the United States and Canada may dial the toll free number 1-888-407-4747. Callers outside the United States and Canada may dial 1-202-501-4444.

The security situation in Libya remains unpredictable and unstable. The Libyan government has not been able to adequately build its military and police forces and improve security following the 2011 revolution. Many military-grade weapons remain in the hands of private individuals, including antiaircraft weapons that may be used against civilian aviation. Crime levels remain high in many parts of the country. In addition to the threat of crime, various groups have called for attacks against U.S. citizens and U.S. interests in Libya. Extremist groups in Libya have made several specific threats this year against U.S. government officials, citizens, and interests in Libya. Because of the presumption that foreigners, especially U.S. citizens, in Libya may be associated with the U.S. government or U.S. NGOs, travelers should be aware that they may be targeted for kidnapping, violent attacks, or death. U.S. citizens currently in Libya should exercise extreme caution and depart immediately.

Sporadic episodes of civil unrest have occurred throughout the country and attacks by armed groups can occur in many different areas; hotels frequented by westerners have been caught in the crossfire. Armed clashes have occurred in the areas near Tripoli International Airport, Airport Road, and Swani Road. Checkpoints controlled by militias are common outside of Tripoli, and at times inside the capital. Closures or threats of closures of international airports occur regularly, whether for maintenance, labor, or security-related incidents. Along with airports, seaports and roads can close with little or no warning. U.S. citizens should closely monitor news and check with airlines to try to travel out of Libya as quickly and safely as possible.

The status of the country’s interim government remains uncertain. The newly elected Council of Representatives is scheduled to convene by August 4, but political jockeying continues over where and when to seat the parliament. Heavy clashes between rival factions erupted in May 2014 in Benghazi and other eastern cities. In Tripoli, armed groups have contested territory near Tripoli International Airport since July 13, rendering the airport non-operational. State security institutions lack basic capabilities to prevent conflict, and there remains a possibility of further escalation.

U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations, as even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens traveling to or remaining in Libya, despite this Travel Warning, should use caution and limit nonessential travel within the country, make their own contingency emergency plans, and maintain security awareness at all times.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Libya enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates and makes it easier to contact you in an emergency. If you don't have internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

You should make plans to depart as soon as possible. Travelers should check with their airlines prior to their planned travel to verify the flight schedule. Flight cancellations occur frequently. There are no plans for charter flights or other U.S. government-sponsored evacuations. U.S. citizens seeking to depart Libya are responsible for making their own travel arrangements. Land port closures occur frequently.

The Embassy’s website includes consular information and the most recent messages for U.S. citizens in Libya.

For information on “What the Department of State Can and Can't Do in a Crisis,” please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ Emergencies and Crisis link. Up-to-date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

For further information, U.S. citizens should consult the Department of State’s Country Specific Information. Stay up to date by bookmarking our Bureau of Consular Affairs website, which contains the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts as well as the Worldwide Caution. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well.

----------=------------

Not that I was planning on heading in that specific direction anytime soon, but in any case I think I'll take Dragonpiwo's word, as well as that of the governments of the UK and United States, over that of EFLEducator's "EFL colleagues".
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it off the list of possible destinations for hungry EFLers !
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Take it off the list of possible destinations for hungry EFLers !

A lot can surely change in a very short amount of time, especially in this region.

I had seen ads here on Dave's over the last three years for a job teaching in or near Kurdistan, northern Iraq. The pay and benefits were definitely good, security situation seemed relatively stable ... I thought to myself, yeah, sure, why not? Now I know why not.

All the places I've taught and lived in in the past five years (Xinjiang, Southern Turkey, Indonesia) have some degree of violence related to "terrorism" (depending on one's perspective, but in any case, the fact that there is violence is not up for debate) and potential security threats for foreigners, but it is within what I would consider an "acceptable range" of risk level.

I would certainly not put either Libya or Iraq (outside of Baghdad, at any rate) in that category for the forseeable future.

My wife says she is willing to go just about anywhere, as long as it is not a place where there is active war going on (or one so cold that she will not survive there). I think that is a pretty sensible boundary to set.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Libya was, is and for the foreseeable future will be the barbary coast.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks life was better under the mad dictator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: