Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking aloud:ESL in California (Warning:Long & Ramblin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DebMer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Thinking aloud:ESL in California (Warning:Long & Ramblin Reply with quote

I'm posting a bunch of thoughts in hopes that others might be able to identify with my situation and give me some feedback/advice/opinions.

The good news is that the community college for which I teach non-credit ESL classes has increased the number of 9-hour/week classes we can teach from one class per instructor to three. I love what I do - lots of creative autonomy, great curriculum options, my students are really lovely people who care about learning. My hourly income isn't bad. No grades, no report cards, only a few hours of after-class, unpaid paperwork per semester required. I don't have to advertise or do billing or arrange class sites or deal with the kinds of details I dislike. Our continuing education program is growing (from 15 classes to 40 in recent years), and there's a new law in the works that will likely give more funding for adult education in the near future.

The down side, which I have been able to live with so far, is no fixed classroom (most of our classes are hosted by public schools, and we end up in classrooms that are the school catch-all, or we share with after-school programs, etc.), we sometimes get moved around a lot (potentially a new site every semester, depending on the needs), some commuting (up to 45 minutes each way). No benefits, no potential for full-time, contracts offered on a semester-to-semester basis. The program is grant-funded, so there’s some job insecurity when grants need to be renewed and there are competitors for the same grant, although so far, so good on that point.

The really bad news is that I need full-time with benefits. I love what I do, but it will not turn into the kind of job I need for the sake of my family. Even if I get an MA, the potential for full-time employment in adult ESL is very small. My college only has one full-timer in the department, and he's the head of the department.

So I'm left looking at my options. I need to make a change, and soon.

I have a multiple subject credential, and taught elementary for five years before starting a family. There was a lot to love and hate about the job. Loved the kids and co-workers, but the work load is enormous, the paperwork/grading mountains a nightmare, the curriculum rigid. The public school atmosphere is full of stress, political correctness and test paranoia. Frankly, I think it's a terrible job for somebody who wants to enjoy work, then go home and spend time with family and have a life outside of work. I have a few friends who pull it off fairly successfully, but they do bear signs of the strain. If they could afford to do something else or to retire early, they would. To say the least, I'm reticent to return to that life.

I'm currently mulling over several options, and trying to weigh financial needs against job satisfaction and quality of life for me and my family.

Behind Door #1: I could get work again as an elementary school teacher without needing to add more education/money into the process.

Door #2: I could add a secondary credential and become a Spanish teacher without investing a great deal more education/money in the process. While the educational atmosphere might not be ideal, there would be fewer lesson plans to prepare for each day, and potentially less grading. Hopefully at least some of the students who take these classes would be there out of interest, so I could probably keep my interest in being there.

Door #3: Get an MA in ELL/ELD and work in the public school system with English Language Learners, or

Door #4: hit the jackpot and find full-time work at a college or university.
(Options 3 & 4 would require two years of working while studying online for an MA, about a 15 hour per week and $9,000 investment).

Behind Door #5 there is a hodgepodge of ideas that involves going renegade either full- or part-time, offering privately paid classes for English learners that would cover themes not offered in the continuing education program. I’m thinking along the lines of four-week classes on specific practical topics such as “Helping Your Child in the Education System,” and “Accent Reduction,” and/or longer courses such as “American Culture Through Literature” and “Drama for English Language Learners.” I’ve also thought about conversation classes centered around popular media, current events, local events, etc. I could offer these through the paid side of our community college continuing ed. department and held on-site, or possibly at our area's community recreation center, which also hosts educational classes. If they were a hit, I could consider renting classroom space in the future, and possibly expanding into a full-fledged English school. I don’t think I would need to charge much for these classes, considering that 10 students paying $5 per class would bring in $50/hour.

Some of these ideas would work as online offerings, also. I was reading recently that in some parts of the world students will pay a high hourly rate simply to have an online conversation in English with a native speaker. How awesome would it be to have, for example, a live, online video book club through which to focus on vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation and important cultural pieces simultaneously?

Has anybody given any thought to something like this before? Have you seen it done? Do you think it’s reasonable and do-able? In your opinion, would immigrants in your area pay for this type of educational opportunity?

One of the things that has held me back while these ideas have been percolating and taking shape is that while I love designing and teaching classes, I intensely dislike the business end of things.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Door #4 isn't very likely. If you're willing to relocate to another part of the country, you'll increase your odds a bit, but not much.

For more information, read through the old columns by Rob Jenkins, the two year columnist for the Chronicle of Higher Education.

http://chronicle.com/search/?searchQueryString=rob+jenkins

Doors #2 and #3 sound like the best options, depending on your preference for teaching Spanish or ESL. And, if you did the MA required for Door #3, you'd have the option to do some adjunct teaching at a local community college (Door #4).

Door #5 is certainly interesting but, given your dislike for things administrative, may not be the way to go, especially if you're looking for a job with health insurance benefits and such. On the other hand, you might find that with a little bit of guidance, the administrative part isn't as difficult as you think. Try reading, for example, The Idiot's Guide to Starting Your Own Home-Based Business or reading through Josh Boldt's columns on DIY (do-it-yourself careers):

https://chroniclevitae.com/people/33-josh-boldt/articles

Another option would be to combine some of your DIY career ideas with part-time teaching like you're currently doing. See, for example, Katie Pryal's recent column "The University Is Just Another Client."

https://chroniclevitae.com/news/894-the-university-is-just-another-client

Bottom line: There's no easy answers to your questions. You've just got to weight the pros and cons of each option and decide which door is the best, albeit imperfect, way forward.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how things go!
santi84

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DebMer,

We have similar circumstances, I believe.

How much money do you need? You don't have to answer that, of course. Aside from my 3-6 hours weekly of teaching ESL to adults, I'm working as an assistant in a French immersion school. I love it, because it's the same line of work without the prep, headaches, and politics of being the classroom teacher. I make a lot less, but it's enough and worth it, considering how stress-free it is.

I'm in Canada, where French is our golden ticket, just like Spanish in California.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
Hi DebMer,

We have similar circumstances, I believe.

How much money do you need? You don't have to answer that, of course. Aside from my 3-6 hours weekly of teaching ESL to adults, I'm working as an assistant in a French immersion school. I love it, because it's the same line of work without the prep, headaches, and politics of being the classroom teacher. I make a lot less, but it's enough and worth it, considering how stress-free it is.

I'm in Canada, where French is our golden ticket, just like Spanish in California.

Yes, it sounds like we have some things in common, Santi84. Smile How much money do I need? Well, I'm currently the sole support for my family of four in southern California. We combine my income with some inheritance money to get by. Relying on inheritance money for monthly expenses is what I feel I need to change. Because my husband has chronic illness, he doesn't have much of a work history, and because I lived overseas in my early 20's and then worked fewer than 10 years before staying home with my kids, our retirement is not going to be anything to write home about. Unless my husband becomes able to work, it's all on me.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Door #4 isn't very likely. If you're willing to relocate to another part of the country, you'll increase your odds a bit, but not much.

For more information, read through the old columns by Rob Jenkins, the two year columnist for the Chronicle of Higher Education.

http://chronicle.com/search/?searchQueryString=rob+jenkins

Doors #2 and #3 sound like the best options, depending on your preference for teaching Spanish or ESL. And, if you did the MA required for Door #3, you'd have the option to do some adjunct teaching at a local community college (Door #4).

Door #5 is certainly interesting but, given your dislike for things administrative, may not be the way to go, especially if you're looking for a job with health insurance benefits and such. On the other hand, you might find that with a little bit of guidance, the administrative part isn't as difficult as you think. Try reading, for example, The Idiot's Guide to Starting Your Own Home-Based Business or reading through Josh Boldt's columns on DIY (do-it-yourself careers):

https://chroniclevitae.com/people/33-josh-boldt/articles

Another option would be to combine some of your DIY career ideas with part-time teaching like you're currently doing. See, for example, Katie Pryal's recent column "The University Is Just Another Client."

https://chroniclevitae.com/news/894-the-university-is-just-another-client

Bottom line: There's no easy answers to your questions. You've just got to weight the pros and cons of each option and decide which door is the best, albeit imperfect, way forward.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how things go!

Thanks, Esl_Prof, for your input. I've read a couple of the articles you linked to, and will delve into the others today.

I think the "imperfect" part is what grates at me, but you're right, of course. I want the work I love with the hours and pay rate I need, plus time to do everything else that matters to me. Ha ha! I've been reluctant to give up some of the freedoms that my current situation affords me - specifically the opportunity to participate in my kids' activities in the afternoons (all of my ESL classes are morning or night, leaving my afternoons free so I can take them to their activities and do some of their homeschooling with them.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, DebMer,

I remember that you were researching EFL jobs in Mexico a few years back, and discussing the possibility of moving there with your family. Did this work out for you, or did it prove not to be feasible? You now seem to have quite a bit of experience in California, so perhaps Mexico didn't pan out? I missed more than a year on the forum shortly after that (when some medical issues developed,) so I lost track of what was happening with a few people. Just wondering how that all came out for you? Very Happy

DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Hi, DebMer,

I remember that you were researching EFL jobs in Mexico a few years back, and discussing the possibility of moving there with your family. Did this work out for you, or did it prove not to be feasible? You now seem to have quite a bit of experience in California, so perhaps Mexico didn't pan out? I missed more than a year on the forum shortly after that (when some medical issues developed,) so I lost track of what was happening with a few people. Just wondering how that all came out for you? Very Happy

Still looking south for the future, but we decided to postpone that until our kids are of age and doing whatever it is they decide to do at that point. The more we thought about making the move a couple of years ago, the more we realized how much our extended family and homeschooling and church communities contribute to our children's sense of security and well-being. Since that time, they're even more rooted here, having gotten into horses and barrel racing, archery and more. I think it would be pretty hard on them to take them away from friends, family and activities right now. However, they do love the idea of visiting or living with us in Mexico in the future, especially if we fulfill our dream of getting some acreage.
DebMer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your return to the board means that your health is on the mend!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound like your kids have strong community ties where you are now, and that they would have a lot to lose if you were to uproot them. It can be difficult to assess whether the benefits and richness of experiencing a new culture will outweigh the losses and difficulties for a particular child. But you've obviously made a thoughtful, carefully considered choice, with the individual needs of your children in mind--and it sounds like the right choice for your family, at least for now. (And you still have Mexico to look forward to in the future!) Very Happy

DebMer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
Sound like your kids have strong community ties where you are now, and that they would have a lot to lose if you were to uproot them. It can be difficult to assess whether the benefits and richness of experiencing a new culture will outweigh the losses and difficulties for a particular child. But you've obviously made a thoughtful, carefully considered choice, with the individual needs of your children in mind--and it sounds like the right choice for your family, at least for now. (And you still have Mexico to look forward to in the future!) Very Happy

I think the benefits might outweigh the negatives when the kids are younger, or perhaps not well-rooted, or if they've already moved multiple times, etc. In our case, we moved back to my home town when they were 5 and 1, so they really are growing up here, have family and friends around them and more activities than we even have time for.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of luring them down south in their young adult years with the tantalizing prospect of a small-ish farm/ranch in reasonable distance of a city. My older daughter has already formulated a plan! Live on our property so she can have her horse with her, and open a Jiu Jitsu studio in a nearby city. Very Happy As for my younger, she wants to train horses, give riding lessons and have a hair salon. Wink
DebMer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who is head of the ESL dept. at my community college had some interesting input for me. I told him I was looking to put together some fee-based classes to offer through our continuing education dept. this summer, and threw out several ideas, including a pronunciation class. He said that he can almost guarantee people will knock down the door to enroll in a pronunciation class. They offer one on the credit side every once in a while, and have to turn many away, because the class fills up.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there, in case any of you are thinking of offering classes of your own design. Also, consider submitting class proposals to your local community college's continuing ed. department. If my classes get just 15 students, I'll be making about $50/hour - more than I earn with the classes I teach for the college. This would be after the college takes 55% of the registration fees. It's also a good way for me to put feelers out in the community to see if a private pay English school might be a success in the future.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure look for online work. There are options in every time zone, so you can make it work for you, and work around the other work you already have, most likely. If you like teaching you will like teaching online, little to no planning, no grading, and 98% of the students are motivated. There is weekend work if you are interested in that as well.
DebMer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
For sure look for online work. There are options in every time zone, so you can make it work for you, and work around the other work you already have, most likely. If you like teaching you will like teaching online, little to no planning, no grading, and 98% of the students are motivated. There is weekend work if you are interested in that as well.

BBB, unless I can earn online close to what I can learn in a classroom, it's not feasible for me. In my situation, every hour of teaching makes a big impact on family finances, and the difference between $10/hour and $35-$50/hour is the difference between our needs being met or not being met. Do you know of any online situation that can provide that? I read about one such situation, in which a guy was teaching online to students in Japan, but I read it in an advertisement. It seems pretty far-fetched. If this exists as a viable option, why aren't more people talking about the opportunity?
santi84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebMer, have you ever seen JenniferESL? She does her own thing, she has tagged herself an ESL consultant and provides great video instruction as well as private lessons. Obviously, her start-up required some heavy time investment, but she is charging well within the $35-50 rate and has a long wait list.
DebMer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84 wrote:
DebMer, have you ever seen JenniferESL? She does her own thing, she has tagged herself an ESL consultant and provides great video instruction as well as private lessons. Obviously, her start-up required some heavy time investment, but she is charging well within the $35-50 rate and has a long wait list.

I'll do a search and learn more, Santi84. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: