Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie in Berlin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the acronym DDR. Just more
East German.
johncoan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several years in Prague, I'm off to Berlin on Monday after signing a freelance contract with a language school there. They haven't even promised me anything specific.

I can't say I'm reassured by anything I've read here! but I'm determined to give it a shot. Like many, I love the city and I think I could be very happy living there - but I anticipate a struggle, at least initially.

The situation with renting a place is actually more complicated than finding work, it seems. I'm going to stay in a hotel for the first few nights, then hopefully move into a sublet. But it's all so competitive, and all so expensive....
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your move to Berlin, John! Looking forward to hearing how it goes--please post updates often!

johncoan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do! Thanks a lot!
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not sounding too optimistic. Get work at other freelance schools too once you're there. If accommodation is a problem, try looking further out (if you haven't done already) at areas such as Steglitz. It's cheap and easy to travel in Berlin so you can live just about anywhere.
johncoan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
You're not sounding too optimistic.

I prefer to think I'm being realistic! Berlin isn't a TEFL city in the way Prague or Barcelona are - getting work isn't particularly easy. And there's more red tape involved in getting it (and residence) than in pretty much any other European country.

Hod wrote:
Get work at other freelance schools too once you're there. If accommodation is a problem, try looking further out (if you haven't done already) at areas such as Steglitz. It's cheap and easy to travel in Berlin so you can live just about anywhere.

That's useful advice. Thanks.

It's actually working out cheaper to stay in hotels for the meantime. I certainly can't afford to pay the three-month-rent deposit which is standard for getting your own place.
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked this website (with an example property in Wilmersdorf)?

http://www.immobilienscout24.de/expose/83830402?referrer=RESULT_LIST_LISTING&navigationServiceUrl=%2FSuche%2Fcontroller%2FexposeNavigation%2Fnavigate.go%3FsearchUrl%3D%2FSuche%2FS-4%2FWohnung-Miete%2FBerlin%2FBerlin%2F-%2F1%2C00-%26exposeId%3D83830402&navigationHasPrev=true&navigationHasNext=true&navigationBarType=RESULT_LIST&searchId=5545fd7d-0674-3cdc-b987-3168928a9014

Germany, where even the website links are long.

That example property costs €300 a month with a deposit of €606. Isn't that doable? The advert states a date and time for a viewing appointment, so you'd have to be quick and say there and then if you wanted to rent. I also think Berlin is not that competitive for rentals compared to Munich, for example.

There is this option:

https://www.wg-gesucht.de/

WG or Wohngemeinschaft where you share an apartment. Scot47 has hundreds of close German friends he sees every day, but I can't begin to imagine sharing a living space with a German.
johncoan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot - this is all really helpful.

Do you need to get this SCHUFA thing before renting? I've only just arrived and don't even have a bank account.

And are flats for rent in Berlin generally unfurnished?
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go to the SCHUFA website (for others reading, this is a German credit check company) and register. You'll get some of online report showing you have no bad credit history in Germany (as you've just arrived).

Most flats are unfurnished. A few don't even have kitchens, which even Germans agree is daft. I'd prefer this as furnished places will cost more and have more stuff to "damage" if you have a less than reasonable landlord*. It will work out cheaper every time if you furnish it yourself.

* One good thing about Germany is that the laws are all written down, and Germans get all scared and submissive when you quote their own laws to them. Check this for rental legals:

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/bgb/BJNR001950896.html#BJNR001950896BJNG005003377

I was also a member of

http://www.berliner-mieterverein.de/

who helped me with rent increases and other landlord problems.
johncoan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how I can work all this stuff out. I need an address for the SCHUFA, and I don't have an address I can use until I move out of the hotel. And I can't rent a flat without the SCHUFA.

And I can't make sense of the website. It seems I have to pay a monthly fee for one of three types of 'product'.
JN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you can't rent a flat without a Schufa? For my first place in Berlin I didn't need a Schufa. I remember one or 2 places I moved into and all I did was give the owner permission to look up my credit (check with Schufa).

What about living in a shared apartment-a WG? I doubt you'd need a Schufa for that.

Have you been looking at the Toytown Germany website? They do have a lot of invaluable information on housing and permits, etc. There might even be some housing offers. There is a way to get a free Schufa report. I don't remember how I did it, but I found it through help from Toytown Germany.
johncoan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I decided on a modest place in Neukolln, with a monthly Kaltmiete of 350 euros. That means the Kaution would be 1050. Then on top of that, the rent itself - plus charges. You're talking about an initial outlay of some 1500 euros at least. And that's for somewhere no more than adequate.

I'm thinking that going for a sublet makes more sense. They don't always ask for a very high deposit.
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my most helpful response ever, but I don't understand the Schufa website. When I registered in 2008, I paid a one-time fee of about €25, printed out an ID form and got this stamped at a post office and that was that.

The site now offers three options, as you said, and you have to pay a monthly fee. No thanks. As you probably know, in Germany any sort of contract must be cancelled in writing three months in advance or you end up paying and paying forever.

I'd ask on the Toytown website for more up-to-date advice. I'd advise getting this Schufa sorted, but for now don't worry about it.

--

As for renting, you might be able to negotiate paying the Kaution in two payments. Failing that, as you say, go for a WG.

If you get a monthly travel ticket for Berlin AB region (€79.50), you can live pretty far out for now and be in the centre in 20 or 30 minutes.

Neukolln is considered trendy, but a boring place like Steglitz or Lichtenrade will be less competitive for renting.
johncoan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*books ticket back to Prague*
Hod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?

This is going to sound harsh (sorry), but has Prague treated you so well if you're not too keen to pay €1000 deposit in Berlin? I'd give Berlin a try as you've already said it's a top place to live, and I agree. There's some decent websites, e.g. Toytown, which also have expat meet ups, etc, and offer decent advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: