Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

current job situation in PL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bratan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input and the PM. I think I'll give this a miss.
depechemodefan1966

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything dragonpiwo has said in his post, apart from the "Polish girls expect the man to pay". Generally I was lucky enough to meet women, or have girlfriends, who either paid (if they invited you out), or were happy to go Dutch. Yes, the prices are about right though. The Polish say that "they have European prices, but African salaries". Even my friends who came over from Britain, with British salaries, were shocked on how expensive things were there, and that was not in Warsaw or Krakow. I remembered how they all came over the first time with a near empty suitcase, thinking they were going to go back with a shedful of cheap jeans, shirts, trainers and ended up going back with the same near-empty suitcase.

This is why the second-hand shops in Poland are so popular (and why the shopping centres are mostly empty) is because of the vast diference in prices to salaries. I love the second hand shops in Poland. I don't know anywhere else where you can buy Hugo Boss jacket for 3 zloty or Calvin Klein jeans for 15 zl.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depechemodefan wrote:

Quote:
Hugo Boss jacket for 3 zloty or Calvin Klein jeans for 15 zl.

from 1983? surely those jeans look like they cost 15zl and have been farted in 1,000 times Very Happy
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy is it to get work? Very easy.

In preparation for an upcoming project i decided to increase my social media presence or whatever that means.

In short, one of the things i did was bomb linkedin.com . Literally anyone even vaguely connected to the area i wish to influence was sent an invitation to connect. 10 min everyday for a week.

If i was booted out of my job tomorrow, i'd have enough hours in all levels of companies from junior to senior management till the cows come home.

It just goes to show how easy it can be sometimes.

NB. One of the people wrote to me telling me i had a typo on my profile Smile
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
If i was booted out of my job tomorrow, i'd have enough hours in all levels of companies fromN.B. junior to senior management till the cows come home.
Out where Porter lives, the cows (and farmers) are pretty much the only clients.
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning shakey, eat some dodgy sushi last night?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current job situation for employers - diabolical. I'm at around 15 rejections and counting - people just don't want to work with children. And this is in a country where there's no real fear of being branded a paedophile.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: ERM Reply with quote

Ain't gonna meet the girl of your dreams teaching kids. We all know why men come here. Ironically, I met my first missus in the UK.

What these new teachers don't know is that Poland has left them behind.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon_porter00 wrote:
Morning shakey, eat some dodgy sushi last night?
Dodgy sushi? Pretty easy to get good sushi over here in Tokyo. The Japanese invented it, as a matter of fact, Simon.

Teaching kids is a very specialized job. You don't wake up one morning and think 'getting 7-year-olds to sit up straight and pay attention, yeah, that's for me, man'.

Don't forget that for a lot of teachers, 'teaching' is pretty much having a conversation and doing an exercise or 2 from the book.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some questions for those thinking of PL or already there

1. Can you earn enough to live on
2 Can you save
3. Would you be able to support dependants

I know the answers
kirby42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the best place to find jobs being advertised for Poland? I've been doing a few google searches and I'm only finding a handful. Is there no jobs at the moment or is it just because of the time of year?
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Some questions for those thinking of PL or already there

1. Can you earn enough to live on
2 Can you save
3. Would you be able to support dependants

I know the answers
If you already know the answers then why ask the questions? My own answers are:

1. Can you earn enough to live on YES
2 Can you save YES
3. Would you be able to support dependants YES I wouldn't be able to send my kids to expensive private schools or buy them 1000zl jackets, but I'd still be earning well over the national average. Most Poles manage with much less.

I lived in Warsaw for 4 years until May 2014.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: job done Reply with quote

My stint in Poland is drawing to and end as I'm going on an overseas assignment. My house is here in Polska as is my teenager.

Over the years, I've been negative wrt WORKING in Poland. Having just spent half a year here, those views are even more negative. In my new job, I'll earn in 1 working day (4 hours) what I earned working 40 contact hours a month in the land of Chopin. The schools I've seen and jobs I've been offered have been pitiful. Real wages are the worst I've seen in the 20 years I've been associated with this country. Some of the new expat teachers I've met have been truly clueless. The contracts are often illegal, the Poles hostile in the work environment and you get the feel that it's become a really amateur industry here. Native speakers are a dime a dozen and largely bereft of real teaching skills as the students I've had have told me.

My wife and I stay in most days and over the 7 months managed an average spend of 7k net PLN/month and that's excluding 1,500 in child support.

TEFL Poland is over. It's a waste of time. If you want to live a student life, great for a year or two as the country is lovely.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where's the best place to find jobs being advertised for Poland? I've been doing a few google searches and I'm only finding a handful. Is there no jobs at the moment or is it just because of the time of year?

Hi, Kirby

Bad time of year. Most contracts are Sept/Oct thru June, so very slim pickings now til late August/early September.
kirby42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:

Hi, Kirby

Bad time of year. Most contracts are Sept/Oct thru June, so very slim pickings now til late August/early September.

Gotcha, cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: