Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chong Hwa High School -info please-
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janiny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Chong Hwa High School -info please- Reply with quote

I would appreciate if anyone who knows anything about Chong Hwa High School in Setapak, Kuala Lumpur could share what they know here. Is it a decent and professional place to work or not? What happens once a candidate is accepted? Is it much trouble securing a proper visa?

Thank you all.
proudlyfilipino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the advert, found right here in Dave's ESL Cafe is a scam. I googled and came across 2 posts doubting the authenticity of the ad. They were offered a job within 2 days of sending their cv's. Just as I was. Chong Hwa is a legit school, but the poster may be simply using the school to scam applicants. I did some search myself and snooped at the contact person's FB profile. A native English-speaker she is, yet the hiring manager, who assumes the name says she knows no English And an online questionnaire of 40 questions? Ridiculous. I checked further to see that the questions were downloaded straight from the Net. A school as big as Chong Hwa not conducting a personal interview , yet offering a salary that hefty? Too good to be true, indeed.
proudlyfilipino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advert is now out of Dave's job board
Janiny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proudlyfilipino wrote:
The advert is now out of Dave's job board

Nice work Proud Pinoy. Please see my PM.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm I too was offered the job immediately after filling out ridiculous questions.

I thought it was dodgy that the person talking to me could read/write English so well but couldn't have an oral interview. And some of the interview questions 'how can you affect the bottom line'.

what?

And there's a part in the contract that states that you 'must use an agent provided by the high school to buy tickets and process visas.'

Ok!
Janiny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
Just to confirm I too was offered the job immediately after filling out ridiculous questions.

I thought it was dodgy that the person talking to me could read/write English so well but couldn't have an oral interview. And some of the interview questions 'how can you affect the bottom line'.

what?

And there's a part in the contract that states that you 'must use an agent provided by the high school to buy tickets and process visas.'

Ok!
My response to the bottom line question was that it made no sense. Bold as brass I am, and I still got the job! LOL
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep me too, or the question 'how am I as an interviewer...' what? You just sent a list of questions.

I must say I'm more annoyed that I wasted 2 hours thinking carefully about the questions. I told him the same for those that made no sense. There was about 5 questions related to 'what would you do about pressure' and such.

Damn, I thought it was a golden chance but it turns out to be a turkey.

Oh well, we move on.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to play along. I just sent a reply saying I'd already booked my flights and that I have a friend in the Malaysian government who began my visa processing with just the name of the school.

Interesting to see what his reply will be.
proudlyfilipino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scammer must be reading this thread because immeidately after I posted my reply indicating the advert must be a fraud, the ad could no longer be found, when I was just reading it before I went to the forum site.

Just to satisy our curiousity, please furnish us what he says in reply to your statement.
Janiny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proudlyfilipino, I have sent you a private message, and now another. I am writing to LarssonCrew too.
raycassen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:51 am    Post subject: Chung Hwa Scam Reply with quote

I was offered the same job under the exact same circumstances. It just didn't feel right but I decided to play along and contact the recommended travel agent. He responded within minutes with a table of costs - visa procesing & plane ticket $2,000 USD! Yeah right! Needless to say, I haven't heard from Mr. Lillo again. Take care:)
Janiny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Chung Hwa Scam Reply with quote

raycassen wrote:
I was offered the same job under the exact same circumstances. It just didn't feel right but I decided to play along and contact the recommended travel agent. He responded within minutes with a table of costs - visa procesing & plane ticket $2,000 USD! Yeah right! Needless to say, I haven't heard from Mr. Lillo again. Take care:)

Yes, Ray. That's right. We should all know that any decent school, and certainly a huge and well established one such as the real Chong Hwa supposedly offering a salary of $3800/month would also see to visa cost.

After a few letters of acceptance I received at the odd hour of 3:50 a.m. on a Saturday from a man who claimed to need a translator, and then hearing nothing back during normal office hours despite my repeated yet polite requests, I too am convinced this is a scam.

If any one is interested, you may PM me and I will send you the conversations Proudly Filipino, LarssonCrew and I have had about the Chung Hwa Scam. Please inform me hear that you have sent me a message. Sometimes I don't check for several days.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janiny why are you even doubting this is not a scam?

Would a school give out '7-8' jobs in such a short length of time?
2museNponder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Chong Hwa Lillo Scam Reply with quote

I got offered a job by Mr. Lillo as well today. The (too good) offer came pre-dawn KL time instructing me to use a specific travel agency (Malaysian Traveling Agency&Tour Company) that cannot be found on a simple Google search. Then I Googled, "Mr. Abdullah Khan Fahad, CEO" (The head of the travel company). That led to scam reports on two esl websites including this one.
Janiny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
Janiny why are you even doubting this is not a scam?

Would a school give out '7-8' jobs in such a short length of time?
Did I say something that makes you think I doubt it? I assure you I do not doubt it. I have written to the real Chong Hwa about the matter. There has been no response yet, but it's only about 30 hours now. And moments ago I wrote to Interpol's Malaysian office.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: