Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job in Antakya, Hatay province... Need advice.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Job in Antakya, Hatay province... Need advice. Reply with quote

I pray all of you are well,

As the title describes, I may be offered a job in Antakya, Hatay. If anyone could help me get a general idea about housing and cost of living, amenities, transportation, etc. I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if anyone could direct me to a forum or community not exclusively for teachers, that would be great.

If it worked out, I'd be working for a relief organization dealing with Syrian refugees in Turkey. It would be a great foot in the door, and I'm very excited about the possibility.

Basically, I want to gather as much information as possible about the area before I receive an offer.

Thanks in advance

-Ryan

Last edited by ryanlogic on Sun May 31, 2015 2:27 am; edited 2 times in total
ryanlogic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Nobody has knowledge of this area? Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has chimed in at all?!?!
ossie39

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Hatay - Antakya Reply with quote

Hello I don't know a great deal but here goes. I visited Antakya 5 times about 10 years ago. You will hear both Turkish and Arabic. Antakya has a pleasent geographical museum. There are open markets and many tradesmen plying their skills in the streets. Antakya may have an original population of 100,00 as you walk throughout the city. Now with new inhabitants from Syria the population has likely increased. I remember nice fountains and a couple of big hotels. Also a few hamams (bath houses). It is very relaxing walking through the city, a bit 'oldy worldy.' Antakya has its own kebab which you must try. The people are extremely friendly. My interpretation is that Antakya is the county town of Hatay province, with Iskenderun being an important city in the province, but it's thought to be very dirty because of factory air pollution. Good luck.

You might try mymerhaba on the web for general information on Turkey.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan, based on the proximity to the Syrian border and an active war zone, I would suggest making your first priority checking out what security precautions, strategies or protocols will be in place for the NGO staff.

The dangers of abduction of Westerners / foreigners by IS and other factions, and what subsequently tends to happen to those foreigners, are quite well-publicized and I'm sure you are aware of them. Several of them have been NGO / aid workers. Note that the guy who had (apparently) converted to Islam was still beheaded, the only difference being that in that one case, they didn't show the actual beheading in the video they released - this was probably because he was saying "there is no God but Allah" just before and up to the act.

I don't mean this to necessarily discourage you from what in one sense is a great opportunity for you, as I am familiar with your background and aspirations, but you definitely need to go into such an undertaking with eyes wide open about the risks involved.

I taught for a week in Sanliurfa at the beginning of 2011, when the Arab Spring was just catching fire. It was just a nice, calm and peaceful little city then, and for all I know it still seems like that today (if a bit more crowded than before), but considering it is only about an hour's drive from the border, then another two or three hours, maybe, down to Raqqa, I wouldn't feel very safe there now.
misskismet

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been NO abductions or kidnappings of civilians by ISIS within Turkey.
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

misskismet wrote:
There have been NO abductions or kidnappings of civilians by ISIS within Turkey.

That is true, as far as I know. I did not state nor mean to imply that there have been abductions from within Turkish borders, carried into Syria or Iraq.

Still, I wouldn't want to flirt with being the first, that close to the border and to territory controlled by IS or Al Nusra, etc, without making security my first priority over scoping out rental or utility rates. The value of Western (or Japanese, etc) hostages to such groups, in terms both of propaganda and of potential revenue, but particularly the former, certainly needs no documentation from me here.

And with no disrespect to the Turkish government, which has certainly maintained the overall security of its borders, but it has certainly been easy enough for many of those who try to cross into Syria from Turkey (of their own volition and desire) to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: