Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating Aeon's Initial Training Week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could just stop clicking on these threads. At this point it's a bit like an accident scene. I don't want to see any blood, but I can't seem to keep myself from looking. Morbid curiosity, perhaps.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maitoshi wrote:
I wish I could just stop clicking on these threads. At this point it's a bit like an accident scene. I don't want to see any blood, but I can't seem to keep myself from looking. Morbid curiosity, perhaps.

I've lost count of how many times he (can I assume rslrunner is a "he"?) has come back with some fresh angle to attack Aeon from. Perhaps we should have a word with the board administrators and ask for all his posts to be rendered in green as a warning to others?
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
Maitoshi wrote:

I've lost count of how many times he (can I assume rslrunner is a "he"?) has come back with some fresh angle to attack Aeon from. Perhaps we should have a word with the board administrators and ask for all his posts to be rendered in green as a warning to others?

This.
Rooster.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with it. It's not hurting anyone and there are plenty of threads I chose not to look at because they don't interest me.
rslrunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, I finished posting material that I had put together more than a year ago. I have no new content related to the initial training to add.

I never wrote for the benefit of the frequent contributors for this site, who continue to misunderstand what I have been doing. They should have their say. But their perspectives are often less helpful to the new people coming in, or to people who wonder if Japan is for them. For some people, it is not, and they would be better off in another country. The expression "the nail that sticks out gets hammered" is a common one in Japan. This applies especially to new hires, and they need to know this.

There is also reflexive condescension from some of the frequent posters. I do not refer to comments directed to me. I notice this in other threads, where people talk down to others as the first instinct instead of a last resort.

I wrote for outsiders who are looking in. I also sought to address a situation where all of the power lies on one side. I hammered one company, over and over and over again, because I learned too late that they have been doing too many things that have nothing to do with English instruction, and everything to do with establishing psychological control and fostering group-think. So I sought to put them on the defensive, and tried to provide outsiders as much information as possible about how they operate.

In my very limited experience, eikaiwas treat Westerners like clay to be manipulated. (Moreover, eikaiwas believes Westerners should be happy and genki while being molded like clay.) Once a sufficient number of Westerners refuse to go along with the games that are played, the games will stop.

I became a part of this forum because I made the conscious choice to do so. The right to choose and write and participate belongs to everyone else as well, unless we decide to forgo it.
rxk22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, if you didn't know that going in, then you did ZERO research.

Eikiawas want cogs, not teachers. That is pretty well known, and available on the net. That's like getting a job in construction, and not realizing that you are outside a lot. RSL, that was a dumb mistake.
rslrunner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rxk22 wrote:
LOL, if you didn't know that going in, then you did ZERO research.

Eikiawas want cogs, not teachers. That is pretty well known, and available on the net. That's like getting a job in construction, and not realizing that you are outside a lot. RSL, that was a dumb mistake.

Actually, I did do a fair amount of research on this site in other forums.

I understood going in that I would be providing a fixed product. I did not understand that I was the product, and as such everything about me was subject to revision once I got to Japan.

To the extent that I did not "get it", I have provided both my opinions and accurate objective information about what working for Aeon entails. Surely I have made up for lost time?

The company has operated on the idea that they can be circumspect and surreptitious about what the initial training is like for prospective employees. Those days are now over, and for forever.

Now, everyone will know that once they get to Japan, they will be told to "avoid distracting habits, and avoid distracting extremes." Everyone will know that you are not a cog working for a traditional company, but for a business cult.
rslrunner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just on a whim, I went to Youtube to see if Aeon had posted some new videos that promoted the company.

I thought that my posting days on the Japan forum were over. However, I can't let the following video about the initial training week go unchallenged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHgbVVh23aE

There is a lot in the video that warrants comment, but one statement by the person narrating the video stands out, and it can be found from the 8th second until the 15th:

"New teachers will learn the Aeon method and will have ample opportunities to plan, practice and teach lessons."

The first part of this sentence is fine. The second part? What a ridiculous statement. What absolute nonsense. What horses*^#.

Trainees are introduced to the Round-Up lesson on day one. They are teaching the lesson on day two. There are forty-two distinct steps to the lesson, with very specific arm and body gestures to go along with the lesson. A similar structure is provided for Group lessons on the third and fourth day. All of this while the company piles on tons of other work during initial training.

The company could say that new teachers will pick up the methodology in time. The company also could say that the speedy nature of the initial training is to prepare teachers for life at their new school

But to say that trainees are given ample opportunities to practice and teach the lesson is beyond the realm of possibility. It's just cuckoo bananas.

The company likes its new hires to be receptive to the power of suggestion. Nevertheless, any statements it makes to the general public must be scrutinized and, when necessary as in this case, repudiated.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understood going in that I would be providing a fixed product. I did not understand that I was the product, and as such everything about me was subject to revision once I got to Japan.

Eikaiwa range from small isolated outfits that may have little methodological uniformity between teachers and classes (the teacher just gets on with it, "it" being whatever they can devise that keeps the students reasonably happy), to big nationwide outfits that have a uniform product to sell and that it is the "teacher's" job to instantiate (I hesitate to say personify) and deliver. If you could actually come at that product from a functional linguistic viewpoint then I might be more interested in your criticisms, but just wailing that there was an insistence on (and whatever training towards) delivering a uniform approach is pretty weak, TBH. As is the quibbling about ten minutes here or there spent on cleaning up classrooms. Oh, but then, you didn't actually work there, did you?

I wonder if you'd have been happier if you'd been attached to a school that had little in the way of materials, methods and "support". Probably not, eh!
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:
Just on a whim, I went to Youtube to see if Aeon had posted some new videos that promoted the company.

I thought that my posting days on the Japan forum were over.

I thought this was a lifelong battle you wanted to fight? Anyway, moving on, there's a video on youtube.com about Aeon and people who view the youtube link will not necessarily be looking at Dave's (or this thread in particular), so the obvious question is why not make a comment on the original video link rather than here (so you can inform people of the devilish, cultesque ways of Aeon)? I see there aren't any comments on that youtube link, so why not waste (sorry, spend!) your time posting stuff there where people who are actually viewing the video can benefit from your insight?

Final thoughts:

An
Evil
Organisation from
Nippon

Laughing

?
nicenicegaijin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:

I thought that my posting days on the Japan forum were over. However, I can't let the following video about the initial training week go unchallenged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHgbVVh23aE

There is a lot in the video that warrants comment, but one statement by the person narrating the video stands out, and it can be found from the 8th second until the 15th:

"New teachers will learn the Aeon method and will have ample opportunities to plan, practice and teach lessons."

The first part of this sentence is fine. The second part? What a ridiculous statement. What absolute nonsense. What horses*^#.

Trainees are introduced to the Round-Up lesson on day one. They are teaching the lesson on day two. There are forty-two distinct steps to the lesson, with very specific arm and body gestures to go along with the lesson. A similar structure is provided for Group lessons on the third and fourth day. All of this while the company piles on tons of other work during initial training.

The company could say that new teachers will pick up the methodology in time. The company also could say that the speedy nature of the initial training is to prepare teachers for life at their new school

But to say that trainees are given ample opportunities to practice and teach the lesson is beyond the realm of possibility. It's just cuckoo bananas.

The company likes its new hires to be receptive to the power of suggestion. Nevertheless, any statements it makes to the general public must be scrutinized and, when necessary as in this case, repudiated.

Very distinct arm and body movements sounds a really lame thing to make people do, can you explain more about what these arm and body movements are? I have never heard of these being part of a job description. It just sounds extremely strange.
rslrunner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
Quote:

Eikaiwa range from small isolated outfits that may have little methodological uniformity between teachers and classes (the teacher just gets on with it, "it" being whatever they can devise that keeps the students reasonably happy), to big nationwide outfits that have a uniform product to sell and that it is the "teacher's" job to instantiate (I hesitate to say personify) and deliver. If you could actually come at that product from a functional linguistic viewpoint then I might be more interested in your criticisms, but just wailing that there was an insistence on (and whatever training towards) delivering a uniform approach is pretty weak, TBH. As is the quibbling about ten minutes here or there spent on cleaning up classrooms. Oh, but then, you didn't actually work there, did you?

I wonder if you'd have been happier if you'd been attached to a school that had little in the way of materials, methods and "support". Probably not, eh!

I understand that there was a uniform approach. So why make it deliberately difficult to adopt that approach? Moreover, why the insistence that there is plenty of time to adopt that approach, when there is not?
rslrunner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpjf wrote:
rslrunner wrote:

I thought that my posting days on the Japan forum were over.

I thought this was a lifelong battle you wanted to fight? Anyway, moving on, there's a video on youtube.com about Aeon and people who view the youtube link will not necessarily be looking at Dave's (or this thread in particular), so the obvious question is why not make a comment on the original video link rather than here (so you can inform people of the devilish, cultesque ways of Aeon)? I see there aren't any comments on that youtube link, so why not waste (sorry, spend!) your time posting stuff there where people who are actually viewing the video can benefit from your insight?

Final thoughts:

An
Evil
Organisation from
Nippon

Laughing

?

Aeon is not evil.

Dave's ESL Cafe is designed for teachers both old and new. This is the place to scrutinize all aspects of teaching English in different countries, in detail. This is also the place where newbies can make judgements on their own about what to believe. So I choose to write here almost exclusively for that reason, and for other reasons as well that I won't get into now, unless you insist.
Maitoshi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We insist.
dove

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord. Every corporate job is like AEON. You smile in front of the trainers then roll your eyes in the bar in the evening. Granted, it's a lot to take in during the training week. But as long as you make an effort, show up, smile, NOT roll your eyes in front of the trainers, you will be OK. It's a bloody job and it really doesn't need a lot of dissection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: