Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Male African Teachers

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Male African Teachers Reply with quote

The Confab Education is advertising for Male African Teachers to teach English in neighbouring Thai mathayom schools. I believe they will have no problem finding African ESL teachers..plenty of West Africans are willing to teach English in the Pratunam area of Bangkok...but they are only offering them Baht 20,000/Mpnth salary...about the same as Filipino teachers. Looks like more non-native English teachers are needed these days in the land of Smiles as more native English teachers look for green "Financial" pastures in SE Asia! Shocked Shocked
sigmoid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier this year several months before the coup, Thailand is experiencing a long, slow, steady decline and will continue to worsen until a economic, political and social crisis occurs.

An ad like this illustrates how schools there are starting to give up on the idea of recruiting native speakers and female teachers. They can't attract them and they can't afford them.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This trend is indeed worrisome...looks like the only option available for most Thai schools is to hire non native speakers to teach Englsih as they don't want to pay for native English speakers...even if they have the money to do so!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very sad state of affairs to see recruiters here in Thailand continuously advertising for African teachers on several EFL websites. One MOD EDIT just put an advert on a popular Thai website looking for African teachers...monthly salary is shockingly Baht 18,000 per month for full timers! I understand from several EFL colleagues teaching in the region that this is only occurring in Thailand....me thinks this is a steady plan to gradually phase out ALL native English speakers at Thai government and private schools...and replace them with cheap unqualified non-native speakers. I guess this means unprofessional EFL development rules here! Shocked

Last edited by EFL Educator on Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
xaile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh poor native teachers!! they have to accept job offers in other places like South Korea, China, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Bali, Dubai, Bahrain, Brazil, Chile, Europe, Australia, Fiji, Bora Bora...(basically ANYWHERE in the world) for 3, 4 or 10 times more salary,..without any struggle,...lol...but there is still one country on this planet where other nationalities may be able to work as well...very sad indeed lol

Last edited by xaile on Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Me thinks this is a steady plan to gradually phase out ALL native English speakers at Thai government and private schools...and replace them with cheap unqualified non-native speakers.

Why label all non-native speaking EFL teachers as unqualified?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word... elitism and a misplaced sense of entitlement.

The majority of "native speakers" teaching in Thailand are no more qualified and ion many cases are much less qualified than non-native speakers with education degrees, TEFL endorsements, are multilingual and have TOEIC (IELTS or TOEFL) scores at level c1 or better.

Couple that with the simple fact that "English" is no longer an "inner circle" domain. There are more "fluent" non-native speakers of English than there are Native English Speakers in the world.

Also consider that the majority of English communication is not between NNS and native speakers but largely is between 2 non-native speakers.

Then add in the simple fact that there is no such a thing as "standard" English.
American, British, Indian, S.African, middle African, Canadian, Australian, Singaporean... just to name a few different flavours of English.

Simply being a Native Speaker is no longer enough to guarantee you employment as a teacher in Thailand or anywhere else.

The writing has been on the wall for years.

Oh, and the only people working for 30k are gap-year tourist teachers, those who think an education is not necessary to give an education and the rest of the ner-do-wells that have inhabited SE Asia for the last 20 years using "English Teaching" as a means to fund their other habits.

The problem in Thailand is that they need human resource managers who can actually do the job and locate qualified teachers of English and not just find someone who speaks better English than they can manage (poor) and who can qualify for a visa.

water rat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
Oh, and the only people working for 30k are gap-year tourist teachers, those who think an education is not necessary to give an education and the rest of the ner-do-wells [sic] that have inhabited SE Asia for the last 20 years using "English Teaching" as a means to fund their other habits.
And why must one be labelled a ne'er do well just because s/he chooses to live in a warm, hospitable climate and loves to teach language? You are as narrow-minded as those nomad soul condemns if you just dismiss an entire group of people as failures because the choose not to live in their homeland.

Witness DebMer's post in this thread http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=110381&highlight= which I have just finished reading. True, DebMer lives in California, which I presume is her native land, but I admire her (him?) for choosing the life of an itinerant ESL teacher when she could be teaching at a "real school". Maybe she is one of these drug addicts you accuse us all of being, and that's why she can't make us of her teaching certificate.

I also find your statement," gap-year tourist teachers, those who think an education is not necessary to give an education,' very presumptive. Who are you to claim you know what other people are thinking? And a whole general group of people whom you obviously believe yourself superior to for some unknown reason...

You also write:
Quote:
The majority of "native speakers" teaching in Thailand are no more qualified and ion [sic] many cases are much less qualified than non-native speakers with education degrees, TEFL endorsements, are multilingual and have TOEIC (IELTS or TOEFL) scores at level c1 or better.

How could you possibly know that? Have you done a survey?

And if you do know it why can you not express it more clearly? Your ironic quotation marks make no sense. They kind of contradict your entire point really. If you had simply used a sub-clause marker before 'are' and said, "who are multilingual", I wouldn't have had to read that sentence four times, and anyway what on earth does being multilingual have to do with anything? Sure, it can help if you are teaching students of your own background, but it really is rather beside the point.

Native speakers will always have an edge (IOW, know more) than a non-native-speaking teacher. I don't have a word to say against non-natives teaching English as long as they know more than their students. However, if you resent English native speakers from the so-called Big Five so much, perhaps you ought to get out of the business, and let us get on with our teaching, and drug taking.
adaruby

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

water rat wrote:
suphanburi wrote:
Oh, and the only people working for 30k are gap-year tourist teachers, those who think an education is not necessary to give an education and the rest of the ner-do-wells [sic] that have inhabited SE Asia for the last 20 years using "English Teaching" as a means to fund their other habits.
And why must one be labelled a ne'er do well just because s/he chooses to live in a warm, hospitable climate and loves to teach language? You are as narrow-minded as those nomad soul condemns if you just dismiss an entire group of people as failures because the choose not to live in their homeland.

Witness DebMer's post in this thread http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=110381&highlight= which I have just finished reading. True, DebMer lives in California, which I presume is her native land, but I admire her (him?) for choosing the life of an itinerant ESL teacher when she could be teaching at a "real school". Maybe she is one of these drug addicts you accuse us all of being, and that's why she can't make us of her teaching certificate.

I also find your statement," gap-year tourist teachers, those who think an education is not necessary to give an education,' very presumptive. Who are you to claim you know what other people are thinking? And a whole general group of people whom you obviously believe yourself superior to for some unknown reason...

You also write:
Quote:
The majority of "native speakers" teaching in Thailand are no more qualified and ion [sic] many cases are much less qualified than non-native speakers with education degrees, TEFL endorsements, are multilingual and have TOEIC (IELTS or TOEFL) scores at level c1 or better.

How could you possibly know that? Have you done a survey?

And if you do know it why can you not express it more clearly? Your ironic quotation marks make no sense. They kind of contradict your entire point really. If you had simply used a sub-clause marker before 'are' and said, "who are multilingual", I wouldn't have had to read that sentence four times, and anyway what on earth does being multilingual have to do with anything? Sure, it can help if you are teaching students of your own background, but it really is rather beside the point.

Native speakers will always have an edge (IOW, know more) than a non-native-speaking teacher. I don't have a word to say against non-natives teaching English as long as they know more than their students. However, if you resent English native speakers from the so-called Big Five so much, perhaps you ought to get out of the business, and let us get on with our teaching, and drug taking.

Some excellent points. It's quite bizarre that this suphanburi chap posts on an ESL forum when he is so hostile to the majority of people in the industry.

Do you reckon he came home one night and found his missus in bed with a TEFL teacher?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: