Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot_spencer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: advice Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I spent the whole of last night looking through this forum and found some of the info OFD.

I am in talks with a school and they are offering me 40000baht which I know many people will say is not enough (I could go with the council and make 65000 baht but I would have to work evenings and weekends and not so sure I like that idea); realistically is 40000 baht a month really that bad? How hard is it to make more without having to do privates every night? Also how hard is it to find a teaching job paying 50 or 60k a month which is not an international school?

Thanks
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: advice Reply with quote

elliot_spencer wrote:
Hello everyone, I spent the whole of last night looking through this forum and found some of the info OFD.

I am in talks with a school and they are offering me 40000baht which I know many people will say is not enough (I could go with the council and make 65000 baht but I would have to work evenings and weekends and not so sure I like that idea); realistically is 40000 baht a month really that bad? How hard is it to make more without having to do privates every night? Also how hard is it to find a teaching job paying 50 or 60k a month which is not an international school?

Thanks

If you have the qualifications AND are IN Thailand it isn't that hard.

IF you only have a generic BA + TEFL then you will land and start with 35-40k as a TEFL teacher. You'll need to make some connections to move into something better. It is all about who you know and who knows you.

You won't find anything in an internet search. Boots on the ground is what is required for Thailand.

teflheaven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: It is enough and more Reply with quote

40,000 THB per month is enough for a single person in Thailand to live and have a good time, and still have some money left over at the end of the month - but it all depends on how much of a big spender you are.

If you get yourself a 15,000 THB apartment when there are 6000 THB apartments with a pool available, obviously it is your choice. If you eat Western food, which is ten times the cost of Thai food, again it is your choice.

Anyone who says 40,000 THB is not enough is playing a game - it is all relative to the person. Many Thai graduates are living off 15000 THB per month - they may not have rent to pay - but lets say they have 15000 THB as disposable income after rent and bills (which would be many peoples argument, ie they live in their parents house) then that is still not even close to what a foreign teacher has after rent and bills.... but of course... they might not like pizza very much so spend a lot of money on Thai food.

If you want higher paid jobs, you do need to spend time here first, start on the lower paid jobs (even 30000 THB is enough!) and then once you get experience in teaching and in the country, you will find the higher paid jobs and they might actually want you by then too.
hdeth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I was there I don't remember western food being 10 times more expensive. Maybe a steakhouse.

I would think the amount is fine but wouldn't allow you to save enough for anything expensive (such as luxury vacation or a car).

Fortunately Thailand has some of the best street food in Asia, as well as some of the nicest markets, so it's not much of a struggle to eat on a limited budget.

Alcohol is on the expensive side.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baht 40,000 per month?? I was earning that 25 years ago when Bangkok was cheap! Nowadays that is peanuts....sorry I meant peanut butter wages...which are now plentiful for EFL teachers at most public and private English language schools in Bangkok! Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: