Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ET

View previous topic :: View next topic  
parnett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: ET Reply with quote

How exactly is English Time doing these days?
CVN-76

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gazed down the line-up of threads here and saw within seconds a thread bashing ET, so I'd say they're to be avoided. And the thread I found isn't the only one here that paints a negative picture of ET, I'm sure.
parnett

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threads you are referring to are almost a year old.
It's amazing that 121 people have read this thread, yet I have received only one reply. The Turkey forum has really gone downhill.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a few teachers seem to care enough to post info. TESOL lacks any kind of unity now, with there being much more of a dog-eat-dog atmosphere prevailing. No one seems to want to help anyone else. One keeping information from his/ her colleagues is used to promote his / her job security, it seems. It reflects the desperation of the rank and file members, really.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Only a few teachers seem to care enough to post info. TESOL lacks any kind of unity now, with there being much more of a dog-eat-dog atmosphere prevailing. No one seems to want to help anyone else. One keeping information from his/ her colleagues is used to promote his / her job security, it seems. It reflects the desperation of the rank and file members, really.

Or rather than being a global conspiracy of desperate, unsupportive and non-collegial teachers, it just may be that the relatively very few teachers with current experience at EF simply aren't around on Dave's at the moment Rolling Eyes

Quote:
It's amazing that 121 people have read this thread, yet I have received only one reply. The Turkey forum has really gone downhill.

If the thread title were something like: Current Information About EF, you'd get more responses. Simply 'EF' means little and of course people are going to open the thread, then see that they have no current info to offer, and go away. Blame your too-broad thread title, not the posters here.
Wasatchteacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend works at ET Ankara. I'll be visiting her soon and most probably be meeting her colleagues I'll post some info or tell them to join Dave's.
parnett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wassatchteacher
I was the very first head teacher at the Ankara branch. I look back at my tenure in Ankara with bittersweet feelings. I lived in Gaziosmanpasa (or something like that) which was the best part of Ankara to live in. Most of the embassies/consulates are located there. However, besides being in charge of 6 other teachers, I was forced to teach 46 hrs./week for a period of 2 months, and this almost led to a nervous breakdown. The branch prospered while I was there, but due to my hours and difficulties with the manager, I was moved back to Istanbul after 8 months.
I will be interested to hear how things are going there. Ask your friend if Kemal is still the manager, and if he is, tell them Terry says hello. He will surely remember me.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Or rather than being a global conspiracy of desperate, unsupportive and non-collegial teachers, it just may be that the relatively very few teachers with current experience at EF simply aren't around on Dave's at the moment.

Not even close to a conspiracy. It's collective apathy. Be apathetic and you get taken advantage of. Be united and things start going your way.
Kim Macintosh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, make sure on your more critical keystrokes: ET and EF are quite different animals. ET has apparently earned a mixed reputation, while I see relatively little here on EF, which is hardly a small operation in Istanbul.

As for ET, the fish rots from the head down. They are big, and whatever else is said about them its agreed they tend to pay on time. Everything else stands to be changed by new management within a few months. I've friend who is interviewing with them critically at the moment, asking the questions the older postings raise, and even so he's finding it hard to size them up with any confidence.

FWIW, I recommended he ask to audit a couple classes and they declined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: