Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current situation in Erbil Kurdistan???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anniebelle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: AUID Reply with quote

Hi, just wondering if anyone in this thread works at AUID and if you can give any info on it? Or, if you know of anyone who works or has worked there. There is one thread on this new university but no-one who actually works there has posted anything. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
cartago

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have any information about it. With all this talk about it, I'm interested to visit and if I do I'll let you all know. While I don't live in Duhok I live nearby and have been there many times. If anyone wants information about living in Kurdistan and the Duhok area I can certainly provide that. I don't know anything about actually working at the university.
anniebelle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cartago.

If you (or anyone on this thread) knows of any jobs coming up in the region in the near future, I'd certainly appreciate a heads up. Suli is actually my first choice but I'm open to other places as well.
returnee2014

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much opportunity in Suli right now. American University of Iraq is having financial difficulties. Normally they do hiring in the spring for the fall term but it's been frozen indefinitely and some of the teachers are packing up with no plan of coming back. There's also a long list of well-qualified applicants there, because the pay is exceptional and the campus is really nice.

Sulaymaniyah university hires Kurdish locals almost exclusively and they pay on a local scale, which is to say not much. Same applies to Peshagaydan (or however it's spelled).

Komar pays well, but doesn't need English teachers until November.
anniebelle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks returnee2014, appreciate the summation, even if it's not the most encouraging.
2buckets

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Car bomb kills three outside U.S. consulate in Iraq's Kurdis Reply with quote

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/17/us-mideast-crisis-us-consulate-idUSKBN0N81RF20150417

(Reuters) - A car bombing claimed by the Islamic State killed three people on Friday outside the U.S. consulate in Erbil, in a relatively rare attack in the capital of Iraq's Kurdistan region.

Kenya, Yemen, Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia, Libya, Sinai, Syria.

The hits just keep on coming.

Time for a BUG, (bug out bag).
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I told the forum that these car bombs were going to come to Kurdistan. The momentum has slowed, the noose is tightening and they are busier recruiting suicide bombers
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurdistan is no longer a safe zone.....suicide bombers now..what's next for EFL teachers there if the IS takes over the place....??!! Shocked
returnee2014

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just at the consulate there not long ago and wondered to myself why they would put such an obvious target on a busy thoroughfare with cafes and restaurants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: