Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How necessary is a CELTA or other ESL certification?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: How necessary is a CELTA or other ESL certification? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a BA in English from a US university, but so far at least, no CELTA.

How necessary is it to have some form of ESL certification to find work teaching ESL in Medellin and Bogota?

Thanks in advance.
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly get a job but a Degree in Education or a CELTA commands more money.

A well educated Native with teaching experience can get a job here sans CELTA.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in picking up a certificate, you might check out SIT TESOL's programs in Costa Rica and Ecuador. The price for the former, I believe, includes room and boar, and the latter offers inexpensive home stays while you take the course.
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but maybe later. For now I shall wing it in Colombia without previous experience.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
Thanks, but maybe later. For now I shall wing it in Colombia without previous experience.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how things go when you make it down there!
leretif9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much -- will do! It's going to be a challenge!
barronator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leretif9 wrote:
Thanks very much -- will do! It's going to be a challenge!

Hey dude, how is winging it going? I am in the same position you were when you wrote this post. Would love to get some current feedback!
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really need a certificate if any or all of the following conditions are true:

1. The school really needs someone right now.
2. You know someone who knows someone.
3. You are a native speaker.
4. You offer to do a demo lesson and impress the hiring manager.
5. You have the time and patience to take a few rejections before you find the place to hire you.

If you answer yes to most or all of these questions at any given time, you will be able to find a job.

Best,

Rich
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of Colombia was it was very competitive in the cities with around 8 applications per average language school job. Lots of backpackers and travelers taking contracts together with some experienced teachers and Spanish speakers. I enjoyed Colombia but the working conditions and pay were pretty lousy. So, a TEFL cert would help a lot in order to get better jobs or any jobs..
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that no one has mentioned that a cert will actually help you do a good job, if that is something you care about. Having been in a hiring position in Mexico City and having to interview - and sometimes hire when there was no one else - people with no background in teaching or tutoring, no education, no cert, no nothing and having to watch them do a lousy job this kind of post makes me a little angry. Would you apply for jobs in the US you are not qualified to do? Please bear in mind that for a lot of people in Latin America taking English classes is a financial hardship the very least you can do is try not to give crap classes.
leretif9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am surprised that no one has mentioned that a cert will actually help you do a good job, if that is something you care about...Please bear in mind that for a lot of people in Latin America taking English classes is a financial hardship the very least you can do is try not to give crap classes."

This is an excellent point. Since starting this thread -- lo these many years -- I've gotten the Oxford TEFL cert., and while my guess is that it's no CELTA I think I'll have some rudimentary idea of what I'm doing when I go into a Colombian classroom for the first time. Unlike where I would have been with this a year ago.
PittsburghSound

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am unable to speak for other people, but I learned more from the first week of actual teaching than I did during the entire TEFL course. If you have the necessary personality traits, I could easily see someone turning into a great teacher without any course at all.

At the end of the day, it's all about desire. If you want to give good classes, you will, even if you didn't take a TEFL. At the same time, there is also nothing stopping someone from taking a TEFL and still giving bad lessons simply for the reason that they don't have the desire to put in the required time and energy for useful and meaningful lessons.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was going to post the same thing about certs. There is a strong counter argument that says that the person in front of you is more important than the cert that they may or may not hold. I can see it both ways. Also, going out and getting certified may be a strong indicator for desire or motivation.

With the way that the TEFL industry has gone in the last few years, and the acceptance of all kinds of qualifications I think it has become a murky area.
rustyrockets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a CELTA will always open doors for you. If you want to stay in this profession for a while or for good I recommend that you get a decent certification, it will also help you measure if you are cut for the job. For the particular case of Colombia, if you want to work for the "nicer" places like the British Council or International House you will have to have a CELTA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: