Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job offer from Bahcesehir

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaseLThor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Job offer from Bahcesehir Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

As the title says, Bahcesehir Uni made me a job offer. It's 24 contact hours for 3,750 TL a month. No housing or housing allowance offered. Currently I'm teaching in Bilkent with free housing, so obviously this is a cut in my pay, but it seems worth it to me to get out of Ankara.

However, is this a standard salary for Bahcesehir's prep school. I have three years of full time experience, one of those years being in Bilkent's prep school. I also have an MA in TESOL. If I didn't have student loans to pay off, I wouldn't gripe about this offer.

What do you think though?
mm1978

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pass. In fact I did pass. 3,750 is way too low. By accepting it you are only encouraging universities to make such poor offers. Not to mention by the time you pay for accommodation you are going to be down around 10,000 USD p.a. from what Bilkent pay.
Teacher Journey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Pass Reply with quote

I too would pass on this offer, the pay is low. But I guess if you get a roommate you would still have 3000 TL left to allocate however you need. Also, the students are not the greatest at B.sehir, you should factor that in as well. Then again, when I was told this by the head of the department that was 3 years ago. Maybe things have changed.

On the other hand depending on how much your loans are you will be fine with this salary and have a better life style in Istanbul. I can see how Ankara can become small after being there for only 2 days.
quickdrawmgraw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If, as I assume, you're a native speaker, then that offer is way too low - especially for someone with your experience and qualifications.

It doesn't even equal £1000 a month...for 24 contact hours a week!
CVN-76

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Job offer from Bahcesehir Reply with quote

CaseLThor wrote:
Hi everyone,

As the title says, Bahcesehir Uni made me a job offer. It's 24 contact hours for 3,750 TL a month. No housing or housing allowance offered. Currently I'm teaching in Bilkent with free housing, so obviously this is a cut in my pay, but it seems worth it to me to get out of Ankara.

However, is this a standard salary for Bahcesehir's prep school. I have three years of full time experience, one of those years being in Bilkent's prep school. I also have an MA in TESOL. If I didn't have student loans to pay off, I wouldn't gripe about this offer.

What do you think though?

You need to forget Turkey for now and go someplace that pays well. After you've repaid your loans, you THEN could return to Turkey for a tour. When you have loans to pay down, you want to make as much as you can as fast as you can to get that all behind you. There are regions out there that pay more than Turkey. Some pay a LOT more. Let's see....Job A requires I teach 25 hours a week, and that job covers my flat and my plane flight. The students can be apathetic and even disruptive tykes at times. The pay is 1500 USD. Job B, on the other hand, is different. It requires I teach 25 hours a week, and that job covers my flat and my plane flight. The students can be apathetic and even disruptive tykes at times. The pay is 3000 USD. I wonder...which one I should choose....
parnett

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Bahcesehir a decade ago, and the rent was sky high even back then. An interesting story about the university goes as follows:
On the day of the grand opening of the university, the owner was with a group of teachers and me (I was a teacher in the high school) on his private yacht on the Bosporus. The festivities were to start at 5, yet when the clock struck that hour, we were still on his boat drinking top shelf Scotch, and eating caviar (along with a belly dancer or two). We eventually arrived at the university more than 2 hours late. The owner's wife was livid. He could have cared less.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parnett wrote:
I lived in Bahcesehir a decade ago, and the rent was sky high even back then. An interesting story about the university goes as follows:
On the day of the grand opening of the university, the owner was with a group of teachers and me (I was a teacher in the high school) on his private yacht on the Bosporus. The festivities were to start at 5, yet when the clock struck that hour, we were still on his boat drinking top shelf Scotch, and eating caviar (along with a belly dancer or two). We eventually arrived at the university more than 2 hours late. The owner's wife was livid. He could have cared less.

That's a cool story. Sounds like a couple of jaunts I went on in Thailand. But this was Turkey, and the guy had a private YACHT. Think about that one. In Turkey, a gallon of gas runs about 10 dollars. F-250 Super Duty trucks will cost a Turk 125,000 USD. I wonder how much this guy's yacht cost him? And was it paid for out of students' tuition somehow? You gotta wonder.
parnett

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was more than a decade ago- before the earthquakes, before the two economic crises etc.
During my first and only year at Bahcesehir Koleji the foreigners were treated quite well by the owner. Besides the yacht trip (actually we went out on it several times), the owner took us out to dinner many times, got us backstage passes at a Rolling Stones concert in Istanbul,and took us to several Besiktas soccer matches among other things.
Bahcesehir wasn't everyone's cup of tea back then. It was a great place for wealthy families to raise children, but for yabanci, it was a complete drag living there. There were no bars per say- only restaurants where you could also drink. Everything was quite expensive. I have no idea what the bus situation is like now, but back then, there were buses to Taksim (90 minute one-way) and Bakirkoy (60 minutes one-way). Occasionally, there were express buses to Taksim. There was also the constant problem of the electricity being shut off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: