Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking About Turkey...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Thinking About Turkey... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to the TEFL industry, and am looking for some tips and advice on getting my foot in the door. I had my eyes on Malaysia, but am open to other regions as well...

I'm a native English speaker from Canada with a B Comm. and am hoping to obtain a TEFL certificate in the near future..

I am debating enrolling in a 120 Hour Online TEFL program that includes an In-Class Practicum (http://www.ontesol.com/tefl-certificate/).

Would this be sufficient for finding work in Turkey?

I'm not expecting the world in terms of compensation, considering I have no teaching experience yet... With that said, how difficult would it be for an inexperienced teacher to find work in Turkey?

Also, what are the options, outside of Istanbul for English teachers? I'm not particular about being in a region with a large expat community or anything of the sort. I don't drink or go to clubs, and I'd be much happier (or at least I think) in a quieter place where I can read, exercise, and just learn about the culture.

If anybody has any advice they can offer me regarding Turkey, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
sixthchild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, outside of Istanbul there is plenty of work esp for newbies, this site has a few contacts and the company teach to travel or is it travel to teach have a few people on their boks in turkey for the first time, virtually all have minimal experience which means they are cheap, seasoned old dogs like me WHO know the job inside out find it harder these days to get another post coz basically we cost to much, but then thats not what schools are looking for these days, they are crying out for FRESH BLOOD, thats you mate, lap it up!!
TheStudent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sixthchild wrote:
Yeah, outside of Istanbul there is plenty of work esp for newbies, this site has a few contacts and the company teach to travel or is it travel to teach have a few people on their boks in turkey for the first time, virtually all have minimal experience which means they are cheap, seasoned old dogs like me WHO know the job inside out find it harder these days to get another post coz basically we cost to much, but then thats not what schools are looking for these days, they are crying out for FRESH BLOOD, thats you mate, lap it up!!

Thanks for the feedback sixthchild..

What regions would you suggest looking into? I'm a Muslim and would prefer being located in a more conservative region.
desert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheStudent wrote:

What regions would you suggest looking into? I'm a Muslim and would prefer being located in a more conservative region.

Most people in Turkey do not know any English, so you have to learn Turkish if you want to talk to people in the mosques or to take part in daily interactions in general. Learning Turkish will make a big difference regardless of the region.

I think that a more important consideration than finding a conservative region is finding a good employer. The work environment will have a big effect on your life, and you should just aim for fulfilling all of your basic religious obligations at work since the workplace isn't going to be religious regardless of where you go. Talking about religion at work is definitely something to avoid. You can always choose to associate with conservative people outside of work if that's what you want to do, but again, you will need to know Turkish to have any meaningful communication.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is very little separation of "religion & state in Turkey. Religion is engrained in everything from education, government, to the specific newspaper (radical to conservative) you read. In the private schools and universities I worked in we had prayer rooms and Friday was basically a half day for most males as they attended mosque. In others discussing religion was frowned upon.
wander&teach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the latest interesting article in reference to separation of church and state currently in Turkey. It is from Today's Zaman 17/3/2014 a predominately anti AKP English language newspaper supported by the Hizmet movement. Although this practice seems to have just begun and appears limited at this time, it does provide a realistic insight into the deep-rooted intrusion of government and religion into the Turkish education system.

http://www.todayszaman.com/news-342272-parents-bar-assn-vow-legal-action-in-wake-of-persuasion-rooms-scandal.html
philotaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really interesting article, but it has precious little to do with "religion and state." These particular fascists just happen to be devout.

I think Turkey is a religious state in roughly the same sense that the US is, i.e., it's an uncomfortable place for those who don't espouse roughly conventional beliefs.
philotaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the original question of this thread, a BA in communications and a language teaching certification will be enough to get you a job, at least at a language center. Perhaps a good place for you to look would be Konya--big, rich, conservative, and in desperate need of english teachers. You might also try Kayseri, which fits a similar description.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, If you were to edit the parentheses from your Ontesol link, or just leave a space between each one and the link, it would then be clickable--a live link. For other posters, since it hasn't been a live link: will a tutored online course (language awareness, theory, methodology modules online) with a 20-hour in-class teaching practice be an acceptable TEFL cert in Turkey?

MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking About Turkey... Reply with quote

TheStudent wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to the TEFL industry, and am looking for some tips and advice on getting my foot in the door. I had my eyes on Malaysia, but am open to other regions as well...

I'm a native English speaker from Canada with a B Comm. and am hoping to obtain a TEFL certificate in the near future..

I am debating enrolling in a 120 Hour Online TEFL program that includes an In-Class Practicum (http://www.ontesol.com/tefl-certificate/).

I would avoid online courses as they will close doors later if you decide to make this a career. They particularly close doors in the more lucrative areas.
CVN-76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think twice about working there. The Lyra has fallen in value by about 1/3 in the past 18 months. It was around 2.10 per dollar not that long ago, and now I see it's down to 2.75 per. Since about 2011, the Lyra has lost about 40% of its value against the dollar / the dollar has gained 40% on the Lyra.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: