Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching online to Japan from Philippines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmisuro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Teaching online to Japan from Philippines? Reply with quote

Do you teach Japanese students online from the Philippines? I would love to hear from you!
I'm doing graduate research on the topic, and would love to hear anything you have to say about your experiences.
Your motivations for doing this type of work, career background, teacher training, and either positive experiences or problems are of particular interest.
Please note that no names or personal information of respondees will be collected or used at any time.
Thank you for your help!
jimpellow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching online to Japan from Philippines? Reply with quote

cmisuro wrote:
Do you teach Japanese students online from the Philippines? I would love to hear from you!
I'm doing graduate research on the topic, and would love to hear anything you have to say about your experiences.
Your motivations for doing this type of work, career background, teacher training, and either positive experiences or problems are of particular interest.
Please note that no names or personal information of respondees will be collected or used at any time.
Thank you for your help!

I taught Japanese students in class while living in the Philippines and taught Chinese students online. I stopped teaching students online as the Internet is so unreliable in the Philippines. You see Filipinos teaching more Japanese students online, IMHO, because they are paid so little. The schools and/or students seem more tolerant of bad Internet as someone is saving money. As the Westerner demands Western wages, the companies and/or schools have higher expectations, including the quality of the Internet connection. That is a generalization. I have known Westerners who have been able to teach online successfully, as well as Filipinos who had to stop teaching online due to bad Internet.
rioux

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is the speed of the internet so slow but with all their power outages (due to the never ending "upgrades") makes teaching online a nightmarish experience.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..haven't been to this country's forum for a while but was surprised by the lack of other responses. Then I realized another factor is that a lot of the Japanese and Korean schools age discriminate. The Philippines has an older male foreign population ( wonder why?Wink ), and the schools like younger females. If you don't believe me, check out the teacher profiles for some of the online schools. There are exceptions, but between this and the (from what my friend says in Cebu as I am now in Mexico) still crappy Internet, I think that is why your research has not been flooded with responses.
JohnD47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The internet connectivity here in the Philippines is not good and online teaching requires a stable connection. I heard there are companies like 51 talk who pursue this kind of business.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow this thread up, I have a friend in PI who has been able to get over the hurdle of bad Internet with the help of technology and teach without issues (except after the occasional earthquake and typhoon).

He uses a product called Bear Extender. Can't vouch for it as it is not reported to work with my Mac OS version so haven't $invested$ in one. But reviews are high.

He also uses a web based service called speedify which I just got myself. Allows you to combine different types of Internet connections. This I can vouch for. I am currently in Boquete, Panama and it will help a lot with my online career as infrastructure is hurting a bit. Would have made it possible to stay in PI, or even Mexico after that, and less occasional frustration in Colombia after that. In short, wish I had been able to get this a few years back.

Only worry I see is that some online schools run speed tests. Those will test only one connection, so the school will not see the combined speeds and increased reliability of speedify.
waltgomez

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Teach Russians better. Reply with quote

Japanese pay some 11 dollars an hour. About the same as other E. Asians. If not less. And many are happy with Filipinos.

Chinese online schools often use " platforms" which demand a lot of bandwidth and which often do not work from most Philippine connections. Koreans like Filipinos to teach them.

I got students from Russia and other CIS countries ( Belarus and KZ) and these just want regular Skype lessons. The simpler the better. Asian students love all those bells and whistles. Russians don't care. I got paid some $9-15 an hour.

I also did translation work. I averaged some Php 40-70K a month. It was doable and put food on the table.

I got around bad Internet by having several USB/Broadband sticks. That, and also living next to a hotel with a decent WI FI. I would just run there if there was a black out. I told my students about it.

American, Chinese, Korean companies want all that superfluous technology. Russians and their neighbors just want to talk over Skype and for you to correct them. They are not as pedantic /anal as the former three.

I suggest you get in touch with Russian schools by translating the phrase:

"Skype English Schools" into Russian on google translate and popping it into google search engine. Then, you just check the sites that come up. These will be in Russian but you just click and translate the page. Then, put your resume online and email/Skype a short cover letter with your resume URL in it.

The Russian ruble has crashed but they still have plenty of students.

Stick with less anal cultures and you should be OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: