Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rules at HCT...(and affecting ZU and UAEU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2buckets

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I remember the good old days when there were 14 students, 14 contact hours and a 4 day classroom schedule, with Thursday for preparation.

Teachers were happy and productive. There was no atmosphere of fear and paranoia.

Last edited by 2buckets on Fri May 01, 2015 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I'm in the UAE Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
Ah, I remember the good old days when there were 14 students, 14 contact hours and a 4 day classroom schedule, with Thursday for preparation.

Teachers were happy and productive. There was no atmosphere of fear and paranoia.

As do I, though it was always either 15 or 20 contact hours and it was 5 days a week. My class sizes ranged from 5 to 15. But there was variation by branch. It was the most professional and serious group of teachers that I worked with in the Gulf... not always happy with all circumstances, but certainly productive... and dedicated to the students, who mostly made it worth our hard work.

Quote:
I'm in the UAE

Ah yes, you said in April that you were heading there soon. Presumably for ADNOC or ADCO or another of the oil related jobs. Be thankful that it isn't HCT.

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

I'll never work in a big school/university again as having all those English teachers around me would do my head in. The biggest profession of misfits and entitled egomaniacs the world has ever known.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably true in oil/military teachers, but that comment merely proves that you never taught at HCT and are completely unfamiliar with the situation there. They have for years vetted their teachers very carefully and only hire professionals with credentials. Misfits slip in, but rarely make it past the probation period. The egomaniacs are mostly in management. LOL But that is true everywhere in all professions...

I do agree about big universities. I also prefer smaller organizations. I was fortunate to be at SQU when it was small... at HCT when it was small.

VS
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Know quite a few at HCT. However, the oilfield is where the money is throughout the ME.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but not open to us females... and even if it were, most of us wouldn't do it for the obvious reasons. Cool

BUT...

The blowback from students has exploded in the twitter-sphere enough that it even merited an article in the news media:

http://gulfnews.com/news/uae/education/hct-tells-students-to-stop-spreading-rumours-on-twitter-1.1502328#.VUN5WND_H78.mailto

It is always easier to push around the teachers than it is the students.

VS
2buckets

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:

"Know quite a few at HCT. However, the oilfield is where the money is throughout the ME."

There's a lot of money in the defense industry too!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: lol Reply with quote

VS-you can buy shampoo here Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: lol Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
VS-you can buy shampoo here Smile

LOL... and that is the driving factor of my life.

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a memo from one of the fearless leaders to the effect that what they said wasn't what they meant... and one can just see all the finger-pointing behind the scenes as to where this came from in management. Rolling Eyes (as if it isn't easy to see... some people avoid blame by not putting anything in writing so that those further down the food chain get stuck) I have so far received 5 copies of this one from 4 different branches. Since that suggests that it is getting around, I will paste it here with no names attached.

Quote:
Colleagues,

In my previous message concerning hours of work etc., I made comments that were simply wrong and have caused concern amongst our teachers and staff, and I want to clarify some of them.

We CAN collect children from school and attend school events as long as classes are not cancelled or rescheduled and with the approval of the Chair.

We CAN attend hospital / dental appointments etc. under the same guidelines.

It's the same for other reasonable requests; as long as classes are not cancelled or rescheduled and approval is given, then these should be able to go ahead.

I sincerely apologise for the confusion I have caused; that was not my intention.

So, as it stands, the new long hours for the factory serfs are standing and the fingerprint machines will enforce it. (barbed wire next?) The silliest of the new dress rules still stand for the teachers - and female students are up in arms about a supposed "only all black abayas" to be worn rule. Same with male students and their rumored new rules mentioned above. Classroom management and how it can be presented seems to still be up in the air.

It will remain to be seen if the students continue their twitter storm now that obviously "unnamed" sources at HCT have demonstrated their power by using student names in the newspaper rather than their twitter handles.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, HCT isn't a military academy. Those at the top are alienating both students and faculty with this nonsense of micromanaging due to perceived distrust. By the way, the new VC completed his undergrad, grad, and doctoral studies at Boston U. and Duke in the US---obviously none of it related to education or leadership.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of quick questions:

1) Hours: One needs to be present on campus between 8-4. Is that really so awful? I say this because in many offshore campuses such as those in East and Southeast Asia, these hours are quite normal. My current position asks for teachers to be on campus between 8.30am until 6pm. 8-4 sounds like a doddle.

2) Compensation. HCT pays between 23,000 and 26,000 and this includes one's accommodation. If one lives in Dubai or Abu Dhabi then surely, with accommodation, this would disappear fast. Does it go so fast in Al Ain or RAK? Also, what is the main difference in the salary structure in the past to the current structure?

Ta
WI
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
If one lives in Dubai or Abu Dhabi then surely, with accommodation, [salary] would disappear fast. Does it go so fast in Al Ain or RAK? Also, what is the main difference in the salary structure in the past to the current structure?

Be aware you wouldn't have any choice as to which college they send you to. Also, don't expect any education/tuition allowance to fully cover your children.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of quick questions:

1) Hours: One needs to be present on campus between 8-4. Is that really so awful? I say this because in many offshore campuses such as those in East and Southeast Asia, these hours are quite normal. My current position asks for teachers to be on campus between 8.30am until 6pm. 8-4 sounds like a doddle.

2) Compensation. HCT pays between 23,000 and 26,000 and this includes one's accommodation. If one lives in Dubai or Abu Dhabi then surely, with accommodation, this would disappear fast. Does it go so fast in Al Ain or RAK? Also, what is the main difference in the salary structure in the past to the current structure?

Ta
WI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: