Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Amideast Morocco - anyone been there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Amideast Morocco - anyone been there? Reply with quote

Folks. Just wondering if anyone has any info. about AMIDEAST teaching organization in Morocco.?

This poster has been shortlisted for a job with Amideast and would appreciate any info.

Have a phone interview tomorrow with a guy named Kenn Norris.

Thanks for any input about salaries and general conditions with AMIDEAST.
Brooks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean the branch at Dar America in Casablanca?
It isn`t far from the Italian consulate.
I think teaching would include preparation for the TOEFL and maybe advising students.

I think work at AMIDEAST would have to be one of the best teaching gigs in Morocco.
nolefan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMIDEAST IS the best teaching gig in Morocco. Their Casablanca branch is well located and within walking distance of Maarif which is Casablanca's shopping center.

The branch in Rabat is alright. They are just a little off the way but then again..so is everything in Rabat.

They usually prepare students for the TOEFL, GRE, SAT and other tests.
ghost

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Salary question Reply with quote

nolefan wrote:
AMIDEAST IS the best teaching gig in Morocco. Their Casablanca branch is well located and within walking distance of Maarif which is Casablanca's shopping center.

The branch in Rabat is alright. They are just a little off the way but then again..so is everything in Rabat.

They usually prepare students for the TOEFL, GRE, SAT and other tests.

Spoke with a chap called Ken Norris from AMIDEAST Rabat, and he mentioned that the base salary is around 150 dirhams per hour in Rabat.

Does that sound about right for Morocco?

How different are Rabat and Casablanca? Ghost travelled in Morocco in 1996, but did not visit Rabat. Visited Casablanca, and still has a bad memory from an assault attempt just at the entrance of the Medina, and close to the Hilton Hotel....
Brooks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I made about $900 a month in Casablanca. So I guess that sounds like a good wage, Ghost.

I have worked in both Rabat and Casablanca, and I preferred Rabat, but Casablanca`s nightlife is better.
I thought Casablanca is just too big and polluted - a far cry from the romantic movie.

Rabat is smaller and quieter, and nice for a stroll.
Rabat is the political capital with about one million people and Casablanca is the economic one with over five million. Casablanca has a high unemployment rate, 25% I think. At Amideast you will teach people who are fortunate when it comes to money and know at least three languages.

Moroccans are friendlier than Japanese students, that`s for sure.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost,

I really like Rabat. It is a very comfortable city to live in. Casablanca held little appeal - too polluted. Perhaps if I were younger? Smile

One minor problem I found in Morocco was that you really need to know some French (or Arabic) to get along easily. It is often hard to find an English speaker.

I have friends teaching for AMIDEAST in Morocco (and other places) and they are very happy there.

VS
nolefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost,

150 an hour is decent to live in as long as you get enough hours to bring in 8000 or 10000 dirhams a month if you are paying for rent. Rabat is getting better with time and the lifestyle is more relaxed than in casablanca. You'll need some french to get around but you might be surprised at the number of folks that will speak or understand a bit of english...
j. remy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, anybody hear from ghost?
ESLMorocco

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Update on Amideast Morocco Reply with quote

Since nothing has been posted in years, here's an update on Amideast Morocco.

Amideast has two centers in Morocco - Rabat and Casablanca - which have similar set-ups. The pay is between 150 and 200 dhs an hour depending on experience, qualifications, and which class you are teaching. You will have between 20 and 30 hours of classes a week, which is arranged by the administration, and is generally evenings and weekends. Since teachers are paid by the hour, there is no vacation, sick leave, or benefits.

All teachers will have a variety of classes; kids, adults, test prep, and corporate courses. Generally the students are motivated, but obviously it depends on the class. Rabat has more kids classes, and Casablanca has more corporate courses.

Amideast generally does not make an effort to get teachers a residency permit. This means that every three months, you will have to leave the country. If you're trying to save money, this can really get in the way since you also will not have any paid vacations.

I'm afraid I have nothing positive to say about the administration. They pay teachers with checks because we don't have residency, which means that you will have no record of what you've earned. The check generally comes quite late, often more than a week after payday, and is not always correct. If you ask the administration for help getting any document (even urgent ones, that they are required by law to give to employees), they will never get it to you.

Amideast is okay if you are single, or just interested in traveling...you might not have to work that many hours, especially early in the morning, and the pay is fine. However, I wouldn't recommend it (Rabat or Casablanca) if you are serious about advancing your career, living legally in Morocco, or saving money.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morocco is becoming more expensive by the day as foreign investors take over the place....northern Morocco looks more like Spain's Costa Del Sol these days..with Golf courses, hotels, and retirees from Europe everywhere. Teaching English simply doesn't enable one to save any money...you'll be very lucky just to break even every month as an EFL teacher there!!!! Shocked Shocked
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Update on Amideast Morocco Reply with quote

ESLMorocco wrote:
Since nothing has been posted in years, here's an update on Amideast Morocco.

Amideast has two centers in Morocco - Rabat and Casablanca - which have similar set-ups. The pay is between 150 and 200 dhs an hour depending on experience, qualifications, and which class you are teaching. You will have between 20 and 30 hours of classes a week, which is arranged by the administration, and is generally evenings and weekends. Since teachers are paid by the hour, there is no vacation, sick leave, or benefits.

All teachers will have a variety of classes; kids, adults, test prep, and corporate courses. Generally the students are motivated, but obviously it depends on the class. Rabat has more kids classes, and Casablanca has more corporate courses.

Amideast generally does not make an effort to get teachers a residency permit. This means that every three months, you will have to leave the country. If you're trying to save money, this can really get in the way since you also will not have any paid vacations.

I'm afraid I have nothing positive to say about the administration. They pay teachers with checks because we don't have residency, which means that you will have no record of what you've earned. The check generally comes quite late, often more than a week after payday, and is not always correct. If you ask the administration for help getting any document (even urgent ones, that they are required by law to give to employees), they will never get it to you.

Amideast is okay if you are single, or just interested in traveling...you might not have to work that many hours, especially early in the morning, and the pay is fine. However, I wouldn't recommend it (Rabat or Casablanca) if you are serious about advancing your career, living legally in Morocco, or saving money.

Thanks for the update, ESLMorocco, and for a helpful and balanced first post. Welcome to the cafe!

LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm making 2000 USD for about 30 hours a week, free housing, electricity, and an allowance for things such as transport.

But I got a lucky shot and the price of things is still low.

I think I spend about 150 dirham a day to live, to do things etc.

Probably able to save upwards of 1500 usd a month.
das31

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larson, is that at the Casablanca branch?
mitsui

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay is good but 30 hours a week is a lot.

If teachers must go abroad every 90 days that is a pain. I wonder if they could just go to one of the Spanish enclaves of Ceuta or Melilla.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMIDEAST in CASA pays around US 1,500/Month salary package including accomodation for full timers...you might be lucky to ave around US500/Month max...for visa runs they should get you a work permit..if not you will have to spend your savings on visa runs....probably to Espana!!! Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: