Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The British Institute-Malang
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lagwagon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: The British Institute-Malang Reply with quote

Hello!

I've gone through the archives and found that this place closed down in 2013(?) due to unsavory business practices and has since reopened.

Wondering if anyone has any news on how they are currently doing. I have an interview lined up and this would really put me at ease after reading the threads on here.

Thanks, fellow champions of the English Language!!
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: The 'New' TBI Malang Reply with quote

There was a user on here last week who stated that he had been asked by this school to work on a VKU visa (a business consultant visa) as an English teacher. In other words, the 'new' TBI is exactly the same as the old one I resigned from as school manager in 2012: they misinform potential teachers that the law is ''a grey area''. In fact it is crystal clear that it is illegal to work on a business visa.

If TBI cannot get you a KITAS (a work visa), which is supported by an IMTA, then you will be working illegally in the country. They have been informing people that it is 'normal' to work in Indonesia for 6 months on a VKU visa. It is clearly illegal, whatever they say.

Basically, you are better off working for a school which can get you a KITAS/IMTA. Unless they can do this, you will be working there at your own risk. You risk being deported if Immigration does a raid (which is not uncommon in this country).

The main question is whether you have an English degree or a Masters in TESOL. If you do, you have many options. Also, how much are they offering these days?
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently directed to an excellent resource on legal matters in Indonesia. I have provided a link to it below. For convenience sake, I have also added the key information about the much-abused VKU business visa.

http://www.expat.or.id/info/docs.html

Business Visa

All persons coming to Indonesia for business purposes (as opposed to just a short term tourist or study trip) for a period to exceed 60-days are required to obtain a business visa.

A business visa does not allow a foreigner to work or be gainfully employed in Indonesia, but only to conduct business negotiations, short term work assignments, or training assignments. If you plan to work in Indonesia for a period of time, you must have an ITAS and a proper IMTA.
A single entry business visa can be extended two times after a one-month stay (one month for each extension). If you have a multiple entry business visa (MBV), after a 60-day stay the visa can be extended four times (one month for each extension). You can enter Indonesia as many times as you want in a one year period on the multiple entry business visa, as long as you don't stay more than 60 days on each visit.

If you enter on a multiple-entry business visa, you are not required to get an exit permit each time you leave.

Please be aware, however, that there may be Indonesian income tax obligations if you are in Indonesia on a business visa for more than 6 months in one year.

If you plan to temporarily work in Indonesia for a few months, you must apply for a temporary working visa index 457. Your sponsoring/employing company can apply for it at the Indonesian Immigration office in Jakarta. Upon entry into Indonesia with a temporary working visa index 457, you will get a 60-day visa stamped in your passport at the Indonesian Immigration airport. Within a few days after your arrival, you will have to apply for a temporary working permit at the Manpower Department, but you must first pay the DPKK fee or Skill and Development Fund fee of USD200 to cover your 60 day working period (USD100/month).
lagwagon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, bradleycooper!! Very informative. So good of you. I will definitely keep all of this in mind during the interview. Once it's done, I'll update with what I was told.

I have a BA in English, TESOL, and years of experience. I've just started poking my head into the Indonesian game and really appreciate the insider scoop.
lagwagon

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Just did the interview!

Concerning the KITAS, he echoed almost exactly what you said here. He said the Indonesian government has greatly reduced the number of visas they issue, and because the process itself takes months, other schools (he mentioned EF and ALI) have the same process of issuing the VKU visa for the first few months and specifying the pay as consultation services (he says the school will provide a document that shows that). He also said the KITAS process itself cannot begin until all my original documents are provided, so there's no way I can have one before arriving in Indonesia. He seemed to be upfront about the legality of it and said it is the process they use for all of their foreign teachers. There was no mention of a temporary working visa index 457, but I will ask about it.

As far as pay, $1000USD/month for first year teachers.
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to work illegally for peanuts? Confused
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lagwagon wrote:
UPDATE: Just did the interview!

Concerning the KITAS, he echoed almost exactly what you said here. He said the Indonesian government has greatly reduced the number of visas they issue, and because the process itself takes months, other schools have the same process of issuing the VKU visa for the first few months and specifying the pay as consultation services (he says the school will provide a document that shows that). He also said the KITAS process itself cannot begin until all my original documents are provided, so there's no way I can have one before arriving in Indonesia. He seemed to be upfront about the legality of it and said it is the process they use for all of their foreign teachers. There was no mention of a temporary working visa index 457, but I will ask about it.

As far as pay, $1000USD/month for first year teachers.

Thanks for sharing all that. I know that this company has a history of abusing these VKU visas going back at least as far as 2007. There is nothing new here except confirmation that a leopard never changes its spots.

It may be worth trying Wall Street. They pay up to 50% more for people with your qualifications. Frankly, as Tazz indicated, that salary is substandard. It is lower than TBI was offering people in Jakarta back in 2007-2008. It's a pretty lousy deal.

Also, it is incredible that a company which is always complaining about ex-teachers 'defaming their name' would accuse other companies of breaking the law. Hardly professional to slag off your competitors in a job interview, is it? Apparently 'defaming' language schools is fair game when it's TBI doing the defaming.
princesss

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
You are going to work illegally for peanuts? Confused

You've hit the nail on the head Tazz. Funny that we have warning people for a couple of years that the Indonesian government wanted to keep most foreign teachers out but representatives of the schools kept denying it. Remember that silly thread which called it anti-teach-in-Indonesia propaganda? Hilarious!

Now the same schools are openly admitting it in interviews. The number of visas being issued has been greatly reduced. Why work for peanuts on an illegal visa just because they promise to give you a scrap of paper which makes you no more legal?
jef dam

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:
It may be worth trying Wall Street.

As far as I'm aware Wall Street are no longer hiring ex-pat teachers. But sure, you could always try.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jef dam wrote:
bradleycooper wrote:
It may be worth trying Wall Street.

As far as I'm aware Wall Street are no longer hiring ex-pat teachers. But sure, you could always try.

Wall Street still have job ads up at the present moment. I would absolutely not listen to recruiters who tell you Wall Street isn't recruiting expats at the moment. It's a bit like the Lake Toba guesthouse touts who swear that the guesthouse you want to stay at is closed/ full/ burnt down in a fire etc. but they know another one. Don't fall for it. Wall Street enjoys 10 times the reputation of TBI, which is a very scam-ridden business overall. A number of their branches such as TBI Semarang and Cengkareng have gone broke too.

Regardless of where you work though, it's becoming extremely clear that foreigners are not wanted in Indonesia. The fact that foreigners aren't wanted is actually something I have been flagging for a couple of years; it seems that even TBI and their ilk are now forced to admit its true.

The question becomes why would anyone work for low money and no work visa in Indonesia. The only possible reason I can see would be if they had personal ties. If you have a degree, go for Wall Street, the British Council or private schools such as Penabur or Binus.

Last edited by bradleycooper on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
princesss

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in a nutshell, TBI can't start processing a work visa until you arrive in Indonesia and personally submit all documents. Furthermore, the visa takes many months to process. Up to six months according to some reports. Therefore you won't be able to legally work in a TBI school while you wait for months for a visa. In other words, TBI doesn't have any pull with the Indonesian government departments, making it 100% certain that all applicants will work extended periods illegally at their own risk. Got it.

Last edited by princesss on Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... it would seem so.... The Immigration police were down in Jalan Jaksa last Tuesday and arrested some ex pats, one was a friend of mine and they wouldn't accept his Kitas and a photocopy of his passport! His wife had to take it to their office to get him released... Incredible!
Listerine

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pauleslteacher1 wrote:
Yep... it would seem so.... The Immigration police were down in Jalan Jaksa last Tuesday and arrested some ex pats, one was a friend of mine and they wouldn't accept his Kitas and a photocopy of his passport! His wife had to take it to their office to get him released... Incredible!

I saw some of the video footage - seemed like they were pretty rough with a few of the Africans.

I'm sure the ubiquitous local shabu2 dealers, tranny thieves and owners of the death trap guest houses were left be, however.
p1randal

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the amount of time a KITAS takes largely depends on how much your school/company is willing to bribe the government. I personally only had to wait a 2-3 weeks and I knew the risks I was taking.

This raid stuff though is a bit much and is alarming. Do they expect expats to have their passport on them 24/7? Seems a bit much but I guess that's what they want.

I personally am most annoyed by the fact the rupiah is 13,200 to the dollar.

All this trouble might explain the massive amounts of advertisements on this and other websites.
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The raids on the expat bars in Jalan Jaksa were part of a nationwide Immigration Department move against foreign workers. More than 1,000 people were arrested in all. Immigration has promised that these sting operations against people with the correct documents will be ongoing. Any school which tells you not to worry about working in Indonesia without a KITAS is giving you dangerous and misleading advice. Here is an extract from the Jakarta Post report:

The Immigration Directorate General nabbed more than 1,000 foreigners for immigration violations during nationwide, three-day sting to enforce immigration law that lasted from Tuesday to Thursday.

Foreigners were arrested for visa and work permit violations, illegal entry and using fictitious sponsors, head of the investigation subdirectorate, Bambang Catur, announced on Friday.

He added that Chinese nationals made up the bulk of those arrested, which also included British, German, South Korean and Bangladeshi nationals.

The Manokwari Immigration Office nabbed the most foreigners, at 342, followed by the Tual Immigration Agency, which arrested 130 people, and the Depok Immigration Office, which nabbed 80 people.

Catur said the operation, which would be held quarterly, involved 120 immigration offices across the country to monitor foreigners entering and those who were already in the country.

The monitoring involves border control management, enabling immigration offices to track foreigners' movement across Indonesia, as well as monitoring the foreigners monitoring information system (PORA), which allows the public to file reports to immigration offices on the presence of suspicious foreigners.

"Our intention is not to spy on foreigners, but to make sure they abide by the law," Catur said.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/05/09/more-1000-foreigners-nabbed-immigration-violations.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: