Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australian College in Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiceHiBoy

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Australian College in Kuwait Reply with quote

I usually stalk these forums and never make a post. But today I have a general question and would like some feedback.

Context: I have experience working in Oman and as a result am comfortable with the culture and speak a little Arabic. I taught in business. So .. I have just been offered a job at the Australian College in Kuwait (ACK). The salary and perks are better, but I do not know what to expect. I liked working in Oman, the students for the most part, were a pleasure to teach and the lifestyle was great (scuba diving, sailing, etc on the weekends).

Question: How does Oman compare to Kuwait, has anybody had experience at ACK? I can see posts about ACK dating back 5 years, but does anybody have a fresh experience?

Thanks in advance,
desertdawg

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Oman and Kuwait several years ago.

I much preferred Oman. Better students, more to do, ability to buy the real booze and better road conditions. However I was only in Kuwait for a few months.

Kuwait has the shopping malls and glitzy surface, but away from the main roads it was very rough when I was there. Perhaps things have changed and I was unlucky with students. A friend has just finished a contract there and said even the locals were bored!
water rat

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie College in Kuwait!? Now there's an oxymoron for you!
I've never been, but I did do three years in Sweet Araby, and maybe have been to Kuwait's airport. (Can't recall, I may have been pissed)

From what I have read Oman is no more like Kuwait than Australia is Nunavut.

Anyhoo, Kuwait is mentioned on this here thread. Have a gander. Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the posters on the thread above. I found Kuwait to be a dump. Granted I worked there many years ago, but IMHO its condition was a reflection the Kuwaiti attitude, certainly not a lack of money... and neither of those have changed.

I was teaching the top of the local crop in KU and my students were lovely and hard-working, but not what one will encounter in the most of private universities.

Unless the money/benefits are significantly higher... and money is your only reason for working in the Gulf, I'd take Oman. There really isn't much to do in comparison. One big city in the middle of a flat, rather ugly swath of desert, bordered by significantly polluted water. (even in a nice neighborhood like Salmiya, you can walk the "beach" and view the big pipe pumping raw sewage into the water right next to you... no swimmers, but the sub-continentals would be fishing there... often not far from the bloated body of a goat)

I left Kuwait after one year to return to Oman and it was definitely a relief to get back. If I were you, I'd do the same...

VS
RiceHiBoy

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely sensing a common theme.

Will travel over there to have a look for myself and report back.

Any more opinions in the meantime are welcome.
mashkif

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Australian College in Kuwait Reply with quote

RiceHiBoy wrote:
I usually stalk these forums and never make a post. But today I have a general question and would like some feedback.

Context: I have experience working in Oman and as a result am comfortable with the culture and speak a little Arabic. I taught in business. So .. I have just been offered a job at the Australian College in Kuwait (ACK). The salary and perks are better, but I do not know what to expect. I liked working in Oman, the students for the most part, were a pleasure to teach and the lifestyle was great (scuba diving, sailing, etc on the weekends).

Question: How does Oman compare to Kuwait, has anybody had experience at ACK? I can see posts about ACK dating back 5 years, but does anybody have a fresh experience?

Thanks in advance,

I worked in both. Oman is nicer and more laidback overall, but I personally loved Kuwait. I don't know what everyone's gripe with it is.

Having said that, my experience in Kuwait was HUGELY influenced by the fact that I had a job I adored. And on that note: STAY AWAY FROM THE A.C.K.!

It is by no means the worst college-grade establishment in Kuwait (A.U.M. and the other supposedly "Australian" "college"*) are far worse. But you can do much better at A.U.K., G.U.S.T., or--if you manage to get in--the Kuwait University.

* I am, of course, referring to that orifice--sorry, edifice--of "higher" "learning" that is Box Hill. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
caliph

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd choose Oman over any other Gulf country,(except Iran), despite the lower salary. If you are enjoying job and life, you can just stay longer before your bucket over flows.

I loved the Scuba in Oman, dive center in Muscat was world class, and Musandam is lovely.

Now, I did have good experiences in SA and Abu D., but the Omani people is what I appreciated the most. Real people doing real jobs.
RiceHiBoy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Agreed, the Omani people are first class.

ODC and Mussanah are great for Scuba Smile
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done both and no contest Oman wins hands down. Others have used the right word for Kuwait, it's a dump.
balqis

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have worked in both countries. Oman is real. Kuwait is made of artificial stuffing. Thesiger warned discovery of oil would destroy the whole Arab way of life. That he was right you will see when you go to live in Kuwait.

There was an Italian artist, Giovanni Piranesi. Take a look at his Carceri d'invenzione. Most of Kuwait looks nowadays like the infernal images of Piranesi's imagination - kilometers or sea-reclaimed land strewn with high-rises of identical looks and height. Nothing around, just thosuands of such buildings. Desolate desert with mad construction.

And Kuwait, btw, is a small Cairo. In fact most of its inhabitants are Masri, and to rent out their country to Masris must have been the Kuwaiti grand business plan.

balqis

Last edited by balqis on Sun May 17, 2015 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the Masri, it had been run by the Palestinians. But, after Saddam was thrown out, so were the Palestinians because they backed the wrong horse... (apparently they didn't expect Saddam to lose)

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: