Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Rules at HCT...(and affecting ZU and UAEU)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: re-the burning through money comment Reply with quote

I've been doing the maths on the cost of living in the UAE and it's really not that bad as long as you don't pimp your lifestyle. An unfurnished flat/ studio is about 6k. If you want the pool and the whole nine yars go 9k plus.I was in Lulu supermarket the other day and fresh fish and chicken cost what they cost in Central Europe and the local fruit and veg are cheap. Things like eggs, tea, porridge and milk are also not costly. Petrol is almost free. Cars cost a lot less than in Europe as do the smokes. If you are earning between 20 and 30k a month, you could save no problem. The key is not going mad with a flat, not going out boozing and not going on expensive holidays. Live a normal quiet, home life and you'll save plenty. Even the grog is cheap in Spinney's.

Re the op-all sounds pretty normal to me.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wailing_imam wrote:
A couple of quick questions:
2) Compensation. HCT pays between 23,000 and 26,000 and this includes one's accommodation. If one lives in Dubai or Abu Dhabi then surely, with accommodation, this would disappear fast. Does it go so fast in Al Ain or RAK? Also, what is the main difference in the salary structure in the past to the current structure?

Ta
WI

I suggest that you start a new thread on this topic and we can keep this thread on the new and evolving rules. This is also a changing situation and would be useful for readers to have this information in its own thread

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official word from on-high about work hours:

Quote:
As per the Federal Authority for Government Human Resources (FAHR) regarding the Official Work Hours Policy, this is to remind you that the HCT official work hours are from 8.00 am to 4.00 pm.

In line with this, the Access Control devices are now being installed in all HCT premises and will be active during May 2015, to ensure proper implementation of the Policy.

All employees including faculty are required to complete eight( 8 ) hours of work per day at the campus or in the office. The HCT official work hours for all administrative/support staff in Central Services and campuses are from 8.00 am to 4.00 pm or 9.00 am to 5.00 pm. The Department Heads may decide the work schedule for their department staff as per the operational requirements. The work hours should be applied on the entire department and not on individuals.

While this FAHR rule makes a certain amount of sense for the average government job... Ministry staff... secretaries and administration, it makes almost no sense for an educational institution. There are evening classes on offer. How does that fit into the scheme? In most places, that means that many teachers have classes after 4 or 5:00, but it says that hours can only be adjusted by department... even if the teachers all work varying hours. Theoretically that could mean that everyone in department with evening hours would have to work from 8:00 to whenever all the evening classes end.

And it gets even sillier. One of the supervisors informed the teachers that s/he would like all the teachers there by 7:30 am... why? apparently to justify the tea/coffee breaks. Seriously? What about toilet breaks? Are they included? Must one tabulate one's tea/coffee/potty breaks to not exceed that 30 minutes extra that one should show up for... in order to justify getting them at all.

And the machines will be put in service to make sure that the slaves keep to the rules!!!!! NOW!!! Perhaps they should consider GPS bracelets so that everyone can be kept track of at every moment... and an alarm could go off every time they leave their desk or classroom. Control is all important obviously.

I also received a long explanation of the new classroom scheduling, but I don't know the system there anymore, so I can't comment on it, but I think that is the area that the students are upset about... that and supposedly the women have been told that they can only wear plain black abayas. Oh dear...

VS
dustdevil

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
So why not stay in the States?

The world has moved on since the 70s.

Oh, come on, don't be ridiculous. Most of the new rules VS details are ludicrous and dehumanizing. There is no cultural relativity here, just cultural stupidity. At my job working under supervision of Saudi military commanders, we worked from 7:15 am to 12:30 pm and nobody cared about ties, suits and underwear.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
And it gets even sillier.

Any more news on HCT's silliness, VS? I noticed they've posted their ad in quite a few places to attract teachers.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The addition of a required summer school session has everyone thrilled. It isn't clear to me if that cuts a week or so from their summer leave. There will also be a second summer school added that is voluntary - presumably for extra pay.

Everyone is also enjoying the mass fingerprinting of both index fingers for the "time clock" for the factory slaves.

They better find many with the ads because I see lots of and lots of resignations. Many have written me that they have never seen such low morale. Sad to see what used to be one of the best jobs in the Gulf be flushed down the toilet of administrative stupidity. It might make sense if the changes would have ANY benefit to the students. But absolutely every new rule and regulation has been completely unnecessary, useless, and are merely abusive...

VS
Shakey

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finger printing machines? I laughed out loud when I read that. I have worked at some universities, all private or family owned, that fostered an Orwellian environment. There was real fear among the foreign teaching staff. But I have never heard of finger printing machines in schools! I guess they work like scanners now and one simply puts their digits on top of the glass.

Maybe they can bring in a polygraph expert and hook the foreign profs up to a lie detector machine every once in a while, jsut to keep them honest. aha!

I did teach at a private university several years ago where the I.D. card had to be worn around the neck on a string at all times while on campus. Then, when entering the school through a subway station-like turn style, one had to swipe the I.D. card for the gate to open. Also, when entering the classroom, the teacher had to put his or her I.D. card up to an electronic pad reader to confirm that they were in the classroom at the proper time. Access to teacher offices and other parts of the campus were also controlled by the use of the electronic key card that would open gates, unlock doors and record the times and dates that rooms were used or accessed and by whom. It felt like working for the CIA or FBI or something.

The university staff always checked up on us and could get print outs of where the teacher had been and at what time they entered their classroom and if they were late or absent. They could also tell how much time we spent in our offices and when we went home and left the campus. All movement was tracked through the electronic key card system. Yes, some of these foreign teachers held doctorates and all had at least a master's degree and were professional TEFL'ers. But you know, 'Those foreigners have to be watched at all times and cannot be trusted.' At that university, it felt like Big Brother really was watching.

I believe that university professors should follow a discretionary schedule outside of mandatory classroom hours. Many university teachers spend a lot of time at home and on weekends working on materials and presentations and grading. Not to mention doing their own reading and writing in their field.

At any rate, I am happy that I have seen this thread, because I have considered working in the UAE, and specifically HTC. But after reading this, it is not likely.

Last edited by Shakey on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:37 am; edited 2 times in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I hope HCT doesn't see your description. They will want to institute that same draconian system in the colleges. (because they are such paranoid insecure immature managers that haven't a clue how to run a university or treat employees...)

VS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HCT has had a few “interesting” issues in the new academic year. So... time for an update with what had happened first semester thus far.

Those of you following the happenings may remember that the SAC (Student Council) was gunning for the new VC because they were unhappy with the new rules that he had instituted for the students and his changes in the curriculum. So, the VC disbanded them… and created a new student council. To make them more congenial 2 of the 10 members have the same last name as him, and one of those two is the council president. I expect that this hasn’t stopped the students’ work to get him axed.

The teachers got informed of the new invigilation schedule for the finals adding Saturday to the exam week. Everyone has to go in for the full day for 6 straight days whether they have an exam to invigilate or not. Now that it is being stressed that they are “government employees” no extra pay can be given. Many have written to HR to ask how they will get their “time off in lieu” as required by law. But because of the new finger clocking in and out every day… and their inability to deal with anyone who isn’t there for 40 hours in every week, it likely means a major pay debacle.

Why? Right now they can’t even deal with people who don’t clock in from 8:00-4:00. Those whose position requires them to be there from 9:00-5:00 are having their pay docked an hour for every day. Those that work in the library that has shifts covering the whole day into the evening have only been paid for the hours between 8-4. So those that worked the evening shifts pretty much only got paid for an hour or two of their full day's work. They have been told that they can “appeal.” But some have appealed 4 times without success. Even department heads/deans have run into this problem. Granted few of those affected are teachers, but it has hit all nationalities… including Emiratis. That may help to get this issue fixed soon. Not to mention that this is against Labor Law.

And then there is the National Day video from one of the women's colleges. One part of the program included the usual female students dressed as their brothers. This was done back in my day too and they had great fun with it. At the end of the clip, one of the Western teachers and his wife came out in local dress… and he was holding his wife’s hand and they did a little dance move… a simple under the arm turn. Naturally some of the students were filming it and it got posted on some social media (and emailed to people like me). The VC saw the video and he declared it to be defiling the local culture or some such thing and he immediately took steps to fire the teacher. The students massed on Twitter in support of the teacher and he was reinstated.

There is still hope that with all his mis-steps and the problems that they have caused the system in the bad PR that the VCs days may be numbered. And… there are still resignations landing on various desks. Hope springs eternal...

VS
Blackbear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe HCT should put up the following mural/poster in each college front foyer - right next to the fingerprint scanner:

The beatings will continue - until morale improves!
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

It's the ME, so naturally they fix everything except the problem.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

It seems more sweeping changes have occurred to ring in the New Year. The following was related to me via email (narrative is italicized):

"Latest here is HR big knob sent email advising ex-pats that by the end of June, they must obtain ‘equivalence’ certificates from MOHESR (Min of Higher Ed and Sci Research). Result = about 7% success, about 26% have submitted certification! HR then implored faculty to comply, warning that there will be serious consequences without compliance.

To obtain equivalence, one must submit transcripts and qualifications to be attested and stamped by (1) Uni, (2) Provincial/state Ed board, (3) National Ed board, (4) UAE foreign embassy, AND (5) Local Dept of Foreign Affairs. These steps are required for every degree conferred and departures (not sure what is meant by departures). Some staff have incurred up to 17k Dh for certification of all degrees, none of which will be reimbursed. Even after jumping through all those hoops, some still have not received certificates for obscure reasons.

On another note, one must also show visa records of entries & exits. [meaning unclear]

So, one wonders what those serious consequences will be for 70+% of staff. There are no civilities here; ex-pat instructors are too @#!$! scared to be identified as part of the opposition.

These new Draconian rules were not a condition at hiring yet HCT continues to wreak havoc by adding more "hidden" costs and insurmountable hurdles. Teachers deserve to be informed about the accrediting bodies to determine if they can provide input into the way staff are treated contractually.

Not going well at HCT in retaining staff. I'll bet more folks will vote with their feet and that a complaint to the Dept of Labour will pull in some horns and perhaps calm the waters... or will be an exercise in futility."

End quote
And thus, the saga continues.
Finis.
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - so working conditions at HCT are getting even worse, and are close to intolerable?! Who'da thunk it?!

Is it the case that all those cheap 'third world' employees from Asia are offering dodgy qualifications? Or is it just another means of squeezing out the expensive Western staff already there?

I am SO glad I do not work there now!

SS
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that things have even passed what would be described as intolerable.

It is a new draconian nonsensical Emirati management that have taken over at the top. Budget cuts are a lot of it, and yes they are trying very hard to push out all those long time, expensive western expat couples with kids by making things so unpleasant that they resign. Most are trying to hold on for the obvious reasons. The long time single teachers have been taking their gratuity and running. I expect that lots of the long timers will not be renewed when they come up... or even only offered renewals with lowered salaries. Some have found their position axed and the offers for their new position at HUGE cuts.

This new idiocy about getting certificates from MOHE at huge expense is abusive. I don't think that it can even be done for a US university. What is a State Education Board? Never heard of it... and don't think that they even exist. National Education Board??? No such thing in the US. These aren't licensed teachers in the US. They are people who have received an MA. Those 70% should just refuse and see if they have the balls to fire all of them and let the system disappear completely with no teachers. AND every damn one of them should turn in a complaint to the Ministry of Labor.

And I expect that those leaving will be replaced by those from countries who will accept this abuse because they have to...

VS
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: New Rules at HCT Reply with quote

Resurrected once again with an update. . . .

Faculty are now required to teach 24 hours weekly instead of 20 with no extra remuneration. Summer vacations have been shortened to include summer sessions that previously were offered as additional income.

The ludicrous "equivalency certification" process includes h.s. diplomas (as if they are not equivalent to those of the UAE?!).

Wherever you are, 2buckets, your End Game metaphor was spot on. At least one bucket is full for many!

PS

Last edited by peripatetic_soul on Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: