Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Island TEFL aka EFF and Teacha Language School aka JTA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodgar

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Island TEFL aka EFF and Teacha Language School aka JTA Reply with quote

I have been offered positions with both of these programs, Island TEFL aka EFF (English for Fun) and Teacha Language School aka JTA (Jobs Teaching Abroad) does anyone have experience with them or know whether or not they are legit and good programs?

Also, in TEFL teaching what is the whole deal with contact hours... they always say... your contact hours are thirty a week.... but you have to be at the school 7:30 to 4:30... doesn't that make my contact hours 45 or 40 at least?...
My current contract is 30 contact hours.. but i have to be at the school 8 to 4 30... Question
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just means you also have some non-contact hours for admin, lesson planning etc.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teecha Language school is fine...enjoy teaching in the Lnd of Smiles Very Happy
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island TEFL has notoriously bad name in Thailand. Be wary.
Brunouno

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Island TEFL aka EFF and Teacha Language School aka JTA Reply with quote

nodgar wrote:
I have been offered positions with both of these programs, Island TEFL aka EFF (English for Fun) and Teacha Language School aka JTA (Jobs Teaching Abroad) does anyone have experience with them or know whether or not they are legit and good programs?

Also, in TEFL teaching what is the whole deal with contact hours... they always say... your contact hours are thirty a week.... but you have to be at the school 7:30 to 4:30... doesn't that make my contact hours 45 or 40 at least?...
My current contract is 30 contact hours.. but i have to be at the school 8 to 4 30... Question

30 astronomical hours of teaching a week? Beware of comparing teaching hours to an office job at home. 30 hours a week is a hell of a lot of work even for an experienced TESOL teacher. If the work is at public schools, perhaps you will have the opportunity to recycle many lesson plans, which will make things easier. It's often not possible to do this at language centres, though.
nodgar

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not 30 teaching hours... i know 30 teaching hours is ridiculous, but most contracts and offers state something like 20 teaching hours 30 "contact" hours... that's what my question is about... I'm assuming that just means 10 office hours on top of the 20 teaching hours... but then the schedule requires 40 hours at the school... so it's 40 "contact" hours..
suphanburi

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ummm..... I don't think so.....

the "norm" is 18-24 teaching (contact) hours per week (often 18-22).

The remainder of a 40 hour week is spent doing teacher type stuff like prep, marking, lesson planning, assisting other teachers with extra curricular activities (English fun day, English competitions, etc).

In places like Korea you might find language academies advertizing 30 hours/classes per week but there is no "prep" involved and usually limited or no learning involved either.

The reality is, that for an inexperienced teacher, you will spend about 1 hour on prep for each hour of classroom time. As time goes on you will have things already prepared that you can recycle to reduce prep time but 30 classes/class hours, contact hours is a LOT and in Thailand it is about 30% more class time that the guy at the school next door is doing for the same money you get.

IF you have the required qualifications (a degree and native speaker or degree and TOEIC score) to be legal (defined as being able to get a proper visa and work permit) then just get on a plane and be here. Even now (end of May) there are jobs begging for "Native Speakers". Just be here and you will likely be working within days.

Fresh off the place and a valid degree you can expect 30-40k thb, 22 classes and a 40 hour work week.

IF you can't be here ASAP then shoot for October (mid year break) when schools trade off their lemon teachers and look for replacements.

IF you do NOT have a degree then take what you can get since legal work is not going to be an option anyway.

Brunouno

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact hours are teaching hours. Stay away from these jobs unless you like to punish yourself.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 contact teaching hours in the Land of Smiles? Shocked
nodgar

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
30 contact teaching hours in the Land of Smiles? Shocked

no i currently have 30 in china... the land of poker faces...
the thai contracts are all 20-25
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: