Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sekolah Sri KDU Primary&Secondary School Advert: A Scam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proudlyfilipino

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject: Sekolah Sri KDU Primary&Secondary School Advert: A Scam? Reply with quote

I may be jumping the gun, but the advert of this school here at Dave's is reminiscent of that of Chong Hwa High School's, which turned out to be a scam.

I sent an application last night to Sekolah and immediately got a reply. To my horrors, the letter was a exact replica of the Chong Hwa scam mail. Obviously, I was one of the latter's applicants who had been offered a job in exchange for a large sum of money.

I've just checked Sekolah Sri's website, and while there are vacancies at the moment for several positions, applications should be addressed to [email protected]

The email extension in Dave's advert (@outlook) and the random erroneous capitalizations may count for red flags.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can check the ip of where the sent email was from.

I thought exactly the same.

Suspiciously high salary, a few basic grammar mistakes in the writing. If I remember correctly it's almost identical in where the mistakes are made.

Is that the big thing? Choose a place people would like [Malaysia] then put up a big salary and rip off the name of a somewhat famous school and then go through and 'charge' for travel services.
tpm11260

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After my recent experience with Segi University College, I was suspicious of the contact email address which was given. I wrote to Sekolah Sri([email protected]) asking them to confirm the authenticity of the ad.

I don't expect to receive a reply as I called Segi a couple of times and sent emails telling them of the scam , but have received no response. Also, the job websites are still advertising the positions even though I wrote and told them of the scam.

Does anyone care?
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an offer from Sekolah Sri KDU. I have responded with further questions. Looks like this is a scam since the job offer was for 4,000 USD a month, much higher than what other ESL jobs go for in kuala lampur.

Also strange was the fact that the HR representative didn't speak English and requested only that I answer typical interview questions on a word document.

What benefit do they expect to get from my CV? My CV is already posted already the internet on monster and careerbuilder. My info as far as previous positions and experience can be found by simply doing a google search.

I will wait to see if the next response from this employer will be to send money via western union. Otherwise, I don't see what they will benefit from my CV. A lot of red flags so far....

@outlook email address

NO interview required

Much higher than average salary

HR rep does not speak English(one of the best schools in Malaysia can't find an HR rep who speaks English and is filling a job for English teacher???)

I will let you know what I find out. Smells like something rotten in Malaysia.
Greg444201

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:01 am    Post subject: Scam... Reply with quote

I also got an offer from Sekolah Sri KDU....The first thing that made me suspicious about this posting was like everyone said the "outlook" address, but what really made me think this was a scam were the times The HR guy would reply to my emails, at midnight...I'm here in Asia already and I can't see an HR person THAT dedicated to their craft to be checking emails and writing back at that time of night. I was also "accepted" and sent a contract and "Employment letter" ..I just tracked the IP of the original email 10.107.26.130 and it pops up Los Angeles lol...so gentleman and ladies...this is a confirmed scam! Thanks for all who posted on here!

-Greg
Unrung School Bell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the exact same letter that you got from a scammer before then of course it's a scam. There are no coincidences in murder...or scamming.

And how can it be an HR person at a top high school speaks no English? When I visited Malaysia some years ago even the pedicab pedallers all spoke English, as did security guards and street vendors.

The giveaway will be when they ask for money.
proudlyfilipino

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replied to their email with an unaccomplished questionnaire; even wrote in the cover letter, "Please see attached form. Good luck."

Then at 2 am, I got an offer letter.

Same grammar mistakes, same email extension, same questions and style as the Chong Hwa scam. Must be the same person/group behind both modus. Indeed, could not be a coincidence.

As one of the posters here says,go check the IP.

Hope nobody falls into the trap of sending any money.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IP search shows Seattle, Washington as originators IP address. Even if this is just the last hub, it is nowhere near Malaysia.

Impressively devious, and well crafted SCAM with company logo and pretty good English responses to questions.

Red Flags....

1. IP originates from wrong country.

2. Salary is 3 to 4 times more than average teaching salary for location.

3. No interview required for one of the best schools in Malaysia.

4. Interviewer or HR rep does not know English (yet can respond via email using nearly flawless English)

5. Responses sent on weekends during late hours (local time).

6. email does not use school domain (@srikdu.edu.my) instead uses generic @outlook.com

Bottom line....if it seems too good to be true, then it is a SCAM.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCAM...SCAM...SCAM....

Received confirmation from Sekolah SRI KDU that the advert was in fact a Scam.

Quote:
Thank you for checking with us on the authenticity of the email sent by this person. Please be informed that the person does not represent Sri KDU (KDU Smart School Sdn Bhd) in any capacity whatsoever. This matter is being handled by our top management to quickly arrest this issue.

We do have teaching positions available, and if you are keen to apply, please do not hesitate to email to us at [email protected].

Hope that no one sent any MONEY TO THE SCAMMERS
Deats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is interesting is that not everyone is asked for money with these scams (I wasn't with the SEGI one). So are they fishing for money, your documents, or both? The second I saw this add alarm bells started ringing after the SEGI one. I just ignored the add figuring if it seems too good to be true, then it is.

With our CV's posted on the internet, I'm guessing ID theft becomes easier. But what can you do? If you don't post your details, you can't get a job. If you do post them then you are running the risk of having your identity stolen. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think most people know never to send money. But choosing who to send your documents to is also becoming a minefield. Also, it seems that when you have been the victim of ID theft you may not find out for years. Worrying.

Does anybody know if there is a way to check if you have been the victim of ID theft? I'm from the UK if that makes a difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: