Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good pay NOT Arab States?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegoodprofessor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Good pay NOT Arab States? Reply with quote

I want to leave the Arab lands but still want a fairly well-paid job. Is that possible? I'm older have a relevant Master's, TEFL plenty of teaching experience, good personality, cultural sensitivity and students like me.

I'm willing to earn less than in the M.E. but some of these salaries I'm seeing are barely more than volunteer status.

I've been teaching at the university level but am flexible to teach adults or do teacher training. I just want to have more freedom than in the ME.

Wage to live on reasonably, bring Fido along, professional admin, plane ticket, I'm only asking for the basics and fair.

thanks feel free to PM me
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go home or stay where you are.

If you change countries it is all about who you know and what connections you have. If you have a good, professional network then use it.

If not then good luck.
You'll basically be starting at the bottom of the heap (in the tertiary sector) and need to work your way up.
Chances are that nothing outside of Korea or China will come with a plane ticket and nothing will pay as well as the ME.

scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China ? Nowhere will give you the income that you can get in the Middle East.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Good pay NOT Arab States? Reply with quote

You indicated that you're older. What's your age? It could be a factor.
Unrung School Bell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
China ? Nowhere will give you the income that you can get in the Middle East.
Sure China pays less than the oill-rich Arab states, but consider some jobs are as low as $3,000/m there and some in China are $2500/m or more. Plus you will probably have far fewer office and teaching hours. Then factor in the cost of living. It's possible to live on next to nothing in China, and you get to enjoy alcohol, pork and the company of whatever sex you consider to be the opposite to yours. Rather than livng in a pitilessly hot sand pit, you live in a relatively normal, human sort of place wth seasons, where dogs bark and babies cry, and depite the fact that people pretty much do whatever they like, there's next to no chance of being kidnapped or murdered. If you think about it that way, it's kind of worth the salary cut, isn't it?
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China, Japan and Korea are too alien for me. Like it or not we actually have more in common with the peoples and cultures of the Middle East !
Unrung School Bell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
China, Japan and Korea are too alien for me. Like it or not we actually have more in common with the peoples and cultures of the Middle East !
Shocked Clearly you know nothing about the people of East Asia and have never visited the region. How can anyone on Earth be 'too alien'? unless you're a narrowminded xenophobe. No need to answer. I'm done talking to you. Rolling Eyes
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent to Coventry ? Aaaaargh !
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Alien concept Reply with quote

I feel I must defend my esteemed compatriot against the scurrilous charge of xenophobia. He's a misanthrope. Wink

With regard to the land of pitilessly hot sand pits, rumour has it that dogs bark and babies cry there, too.
KnockoutNed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with coming to China. I arrived here in October 2013 $5,000 in debt, as of today I've got about $40,000 in my bank, no debt. I've been working hard but there is definitely money to be made here
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ME will always be the highest payers. Having said that, how about:

Brunei
Singapore?
Russia

Although with Russia, it's mostly oligarch families and international schools...
Deats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already sent the OP a msg, but I will try to inform others on this board (again), who don't really understand the job market in China, how good it can be:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=36606

You work 16 hours and get $2300, 12 months a year. 4 months paid holiday. You can work 20 hours a week of privates quite easily as all your evenings and weekends are free. You will get paid $3000 a month for doing this. That is $5300 a month. Free accommodation, so you will save $4500 a month and live very comfortably in a very desirable city.

People who think the ME is the answer to all of their problems and nothing can match it don't understand the EFL market in other places.
TEFL-AA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deats wrote:

You work 16 hours and get $2300, 12 months a year. 4 months paid holiday. You can work 20 hours a week of privates quite easily as all your evenings and weekends are free. You will get paid $3000 a month for doing this. That is $5300 a month. Free accommodation, so you will save $4500 a month and live very comfortably in a very desirable city.

I'm sold. Well I was already sold and trying to make this a reality. Pretty much what I've gathered already but it's nice to see someone who's done it (I assume) spell it out.
Knedliki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL-AA wrote:
Deats wrote:

I'm sold. Well I was already sold and trying to make this a reality. Pretty much what I've gathered already but it's nice to see someone who's done it (I assume) spell it out.

I'm sure it can be done but don't think you can easily walk into this situation.
Finding all the privates or part time work to provide regular reliable income will take some time. Plus, 36 hours a week will get tiring, especially if you are commuting around a huge Chinese city.

Saying all that, it's still less than your average Filipino teacher works.
Deats

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't commute. I NEVER worked anywhere except my own apartment. I agree you won't get the privates in your first week, but within a year you should have enough. I never advertised myself - NEVER - but through word of mouth I had 26 hours of privates (in my house) after a year and my wife had about the same. These were people who found us. University houses tend to be quite spacious and usually have a study - I taught there, my wife in the dining room or living room, depending on the age of the student.

After a couple of years I cut back my hours. From 40ish to 30ish. But working 40 hour weeks is no different from many jobs around the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: