Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coastal Teaching Positions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goobda37

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Coastal Teaching Positions Reply with quote

I'm a male teacher with a BA and CELTA diploma. I previously taught for a year at EF in China. It was a great experience, and one which I am keen to repeat in Indo. Since my time in China I have returned to NZ, trained in ECE (early childhood education) and taught for around 4years.
I want to come to Indo in search of the dream lifestyle of teaching English and surfing in paradise. Is it possible? Are there many towns near surf spots, that have good English Schools? Is it easier to secure a teaching position from within Indonesia? Or are there specific Indonesian websites??

Currently I've been offered a position at EF school in either Balikpapan, Jakarta & Makassar, South Sulawesi. Since there seems to be no surf in South Sulawesi, I'm thinking Balikpapan to be the better option. Does anyone know what the cost of living is like in Balikpapan? Is it easy & affordable to travel around Indonesia from Jakarta?

I have been reading that Wall street seems to pay the most, but do they require American citizens or are they open to different accents?

Since I currently have no contacts in Indonesia, I appreciate any comments you can give! Cheers Cool
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given your passion for surfing-EF Bali would be your best option....though the pay isn't much-if you have genuine school experience + teaching qualifications then there are other options in Bali-Green School and Ghandi International that would pay somewhat more. Based in Jakarta-you can forget about surfing!
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is from Balikpapan. She says there are not really any good surfing spots around as the sea there is pretty calm.

Balikpapan is also a fairly expensive city for housing and goods (something about corruption involving shipping monopolies, as I understand it).

But if there's an EF on Nias Island (off the west coast of Sumatra), you'll have your surfer's paradise. Of course, there would be likely more than a handful of surfers wanting those jobs. Other than that, as far as I know Bali would be a better bet.
bexy0108

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to your question about Wall Street: they don't have a preference about accent, just as long as you're a native teacher (with a degree in English, and 5 years teaching experience) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: