Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadians or Americans obtaining Hungarian citizenship?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
santi84

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Canadians or Americans obtaining Hungarian citizenship? Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone here has attempted to do this by jus sanguinis and can share their experiences?
Gamajorba

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is getting harder to claim European citizenships. I know Argentinians who managed to claim Italian citizenships (although they live in Argentina still) before some rules changed about eligibility. An American girl I know is trying for Italian as well, but is unable to do so for whatever reason, and an Brazilian ex student is unable to get Spanish or German citizenships. Even a Ukrainian who married a German that I know is struggling almost a decade later!

Good luck!
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santi84,

I have a work colleague with a Hungarian mother who is currently going through this process in London.

From what she has told me if you were born before 1957 who could only inherit from the Hungarian father, but that has changed and now a Hungarian mother also can pass citizenship to her child via ius sangui.

She recommends you check out this website - www.mfa.gov.hu

All documentation is exclusively done by the Citizenship Department of the Ministry of Interior in Budapest but you need to do it via the nearest embassy to you. You will also need to pass an exam in basic constitutional studies in Hungarian language.
Enkates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not by heritage, but there is an organization that occasionally advertises on Dave's for school teaching jobs in Hungary and only in Hungary. I suppose if you searched the job section you would find them.

The deal with them is you have to pay like $1200 to get a working visa and then your non-EU, North American butt can work in Hungary. They pay is abysmal, like maybe $500 a month, but they really seem to be above-board. They are not scammers, I think. They will tell you the working visa registration yada is a one time thing and you could then work in Hungary for years once you have it. I even asked them if after a year in Hungary I could shift over to some other EU country hence obtaining that North American ESL teacher Holy Grail - eligibility to work in the EU. They said that they couldn't see why not.

Anyway, if it's Hungarian citizenship you're after, maybe this would be a good foot-in-the-door approach, and once you're there, working an honest job, speak Hungarian, have the blood ties, and possibly a fiancee, (if you're willing to go that route) you would be a shoo in. Smile
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are legally resident in Hungary and if you have completed 8 years of continuous residence in Hungary, you can apply for citizenship.

If you were born in Hungary, you can apply after 5 years of continuous residence, or if married to a Hungarian, after 3 years of continuous residence.

Only when you have citizenship will the EU allow free movement between countries.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They will tell you the working visa registration yada is a one time thing and you could then work in Hungary for years once you have it. I even asked them if after a year in Hungary I could shift over to some other EU country hence obtaining that North American ESL teacher Holy Grail - eligibility to work in the EU. They said that they couldn't see why not.

This is absolutely false. Dedicated is correct; right to work in any EU country is for citizens only, and a working visa has to be renewed (and you need an employer for that) so leaving the company and hoping to remain in the country is not going to work.
Enkates

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
They will tell you the working visa registration yada is a one time thing and you could then work in Hungary for years once you have it. I even asked them if after a year in Hungary I could shift over to some other EU country hence obtaining that North American ESL teacher Holy Grail - eligibility to work in the EU. They said that they couldn't see why not.

This is absolutely false. Dedicated is correct; right to work in any EU country is for citizens only, and a working visa has to be renewed (and you need an employer for that) so leaving the company and hoping to remain in the country is not going to work.
Well, it could be false if you had understood a word of my post. The organization I am speaking of claims the initial first-year EU visa cost is a one-time thing. If you choose to work for them another year, you will not have to pay it. They further claim that the permission to work in another EU county MAY be transferable. I haven't tried to obtain this visa, so I don't know. If you had understood my earlier post, you would know that. Your unsubstantiated 'this' and your reliance on absolute pronouncements is faulty reasoning. In the "plan" I am referring to you would have an employer, this Hungarian organization that brings native English speakers to Hungarian middle and high schools, and obviously some new employer if you chose to go and work in another EU country someday. I never spoke of leaving the Hungarian employer nor definitely, absolutely remaining in Hungary. I said if one was of Hungarian heritage, already legally working there, and maybe considering marriage to a Hungarian citizen these factors may be options to a greater possibility of obtaining citizenship.

I could be dead wrong because I cannot vouch for this organization. I am only showing the OP that there is a way into Hungary for English teachers, I leave it to them to work it all out. So did you come here to bash, or do you have something useful to say?

As for Dedicated, I think he rather misses the point. If the OP had legal residency he probably wouldn't be asking the question he does, or would know enough about it not to have to ask us. And clearly the OP was not born in Hungary, nor does he show the slightest interest in emigrating to another EU country, that was only a thing I mentioned as an aside.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The organization I am speaking of claims the initial first-year EU visa cost is a one-time thing. If you choose to work for them another year, you will not have to pay it. They further claim that the permission to work in another EU county MAY be transferable. I haven't tried to obtain this visa, so I don't know.

I didn't think or imply that you'd have to pay the work visa fee for this organization more than once.

But this work visa is not transferable to another employer or to any other country besides Hungary.

It is a legitimate route into Hungary, but it's valid only while you work for this organization (which pays very little).

And yes, I DO know for sure (work with Hungarian colleagues who are affiliated with this organization).
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enkates said

Quote:
As for Dedicated, I think he rather misses the point...And clearly the OP was not born in Hungary

I'm not sure how I missed the point. I answered the OP's question but have no idea whether the OP was born in Hungary, only that they asked about ius sangui.

Let's wait for the OP to reply.
santi84

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo hoo, this might be the longest Hungarian thread on here (I jest)!

I was not born in Hungary. My maternal family is Hungarian. My mother was the youngest, and was born in Canada in 1959 (all her siblings and my maternal grandparents are Hungarian). I am interested in the EU in the future, not right now, but I'd like to get my ducks in a row. I don't really want to downgrade too much to get there though - I'm teaching college-level ESL here in Canada.

I'm reading Procedure 2 and it seems to be clear-ish:
http://washington.kormany.hu/hungarian-citizenship-general
General Disarray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that Hungary introduced a new law 2 years ago that said you had to pass a language test to become a Hungarian citizen;

Of all the languages to learn in Europe, Hungarian would be one of the last on the list due to usefulness and difficulty level.

This is only something I have heard through the grapevine though from people in Hungary. I'm too lazy to research this now.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Disarray,

Yes, see my post of 2nd July above. You have to pass an exam about basic constitutional studies in Hungarian.
Enkates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General Disarray wrote:
Of all the languages to learn in Europe, Hungarian would be one of the last on the list due to usefulness and difficulty level.
This is only something I have heard through the grapevine though from people in Hungary. I'm too lazy to research this now.
My guess is that youlll never be any less lazy. Clearly, Hungary wants prospective citiizens to speak Hungarian so that they would be more useful and less difficult. Obviously Hungarian language fluency is for use within Hungary. For them it is quite useful and within Hungary the aim is to curb difficulties for the new citizen and native-born alike.
santi84 wrote:
I was not born in Hungary. My maternal family is Hungarian. My mother was the youngest, and was born in Canada in 1959 (all her siblings and my maternal grandparents are Hungarian). I am interested in the EU in the future, not right now, but I'd like to get my ducks in a row. I don't really want to downgrade too much to get there though - I'm teaching college-level ESL here in Canada.
I see that it was I who made the correct assumptions about your Hungarian situation, not talked about myself and how my unfounded beliefs are the correct ones, or how confusing I find this whole discussion, and have stayed on topic.

So the link is http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=35734. I haven't seen it for nearly three years. It seems the initial fee is now $2500. I will leave it to your own discretion to decide if this organization is trustworthy and a good fit for you.

One last thing - slightly off topic- I think as a person of Hungarian heritage you will find their language less challenging or in the very least easier to pronounce than a non-Hungarian. If I may make another assumption, and again, probably a correct one, you will have heard Hungarian spoken as a child. Maybe by you grandparents or recently arrived relatives and acquaintances. Such is my own experience in America with people from my grandparents' homeland, as well as my grandparents. I never made out a word of their gibberish and had not the slightest interest in learning. Even though I was just a child, or perhaps because I was a mere child, I guess I questioned its "usefulness and difficulty level". However, as an adult, and an ESL teacher I have traveled to countries where that language is actually spoken, and I find that natives are taken aback at how well I can prononce all three or four phrases I have learned since. Smile Linguistics MAs I have known tell me that early exposure to a language gives you an edge. Its like my brain and tongue know perfectly well what this language should sound like and I can speak it without an accent,. Because of my grandparents, I even look just like one of them! All that is left is to apply myself to actually learning the vocabulary and grammar.

Good luck in your quest. It's a beautiful thing that Britishers cannot understand, rediscovering your roots and returning to your own. Their sole concern is keeping North Americans out of the EU, even if it is just a handful.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct assumptions? Staying on topic?
Enkates

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Correct assumptions? Staying on topic?
Exactly. Assumptions CAN be correct, you know, and I am the only one here that made correct guesses. Maybe I was just lucky. The others for the most part claimed not to have enough information, and then to be too lazy to find out anything helpful, or to even bother to understand what the OP was asking. Careless reading.

If you were not similarly predisposed, you would see that I excused myself if what I had to say about language was off topic, but if you had understood it, you would see that it's helpful and on-topic enough for someone who wants to be a citizen in the land of their heritage - which IS the topic here.

Excuse me, but everyone in this thread who I can easily see happen to be British are the very people who dither, criticize, misunderstand the whole point and make presumptive claims to absolute truth.

I know you Brits can read English, but it seems it's not worth your trouble to make the jump to comprehension.

If I have not actually said anything that is helpful to the OP, then I have at least tried, and it may be that what I say will help others who read this someday. Most of the rest of you (the British) have just butted in to show off how smart you think you are.

I am on topic - you are not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: